Brunswick, GA USA
4mat wrote:

it's basically this.

I assume with practice and exposure there are less furry costumes and empty dance floors.

NC in the US of America

Does deliberately complicating the presentation of the music just for the sake of having something to do and be able to say "See, I AM performing" really make LSDJ performance more noble than simply pressing Play?

Last edited by SketchMan3 (Jul 3, 2013 12:46 am)

.FILTHadelphia
chunter wrote:

I assume with practice and exposure there are less furry costumes and empty dance floors.

Nope.

SketchMan3 wrote:

Does deliberately complicating the presentation of the music just for the sake of having something to do and be able to say "See, I AM performing" really make LSDJ performance more noble than simply pressing Play?

I think the majority of people want and expect to see a live performance rather than experience the music in a live setting. So if hitting a bunch of buttons or creating the illusion that you are achieves that goal than good on you. I've seen two people plug in iPods to playback their songs and while ostensibly playing your song through a Gameboy or an iPod are the same thing something get's lost in translation when it's an iPod.

Last edited by defiantsystems (Jul 3, 2013 1:31 am)

hiding under your bed
SketchMan3 wrote:

Yes.
You have to have half of the parts prewritten on 2 DMGs with LSDJ synced together using a cable and a DS with a copy of KORG-M01 playing in sync with those, while you play the other parts by running Muddy GB through an emulator on a Wii and control that with a DDR pad plugged into the Gamecube controller port, AND play either keyboard or Omnichord at the same time, preferably while you have a friend strum out some powerchords using Jam Sessions on another DS lite while you sing through it's headset peripheral. And don't forget to wear a Powerglove so you can control your own visuals through Litewall while playing keyboard.
Play like this, and you're a true chip musician.
Play like this with a Virtual Boy strapped to your face (because screw blindfolds), and you're a god.

SketchMan3 wrote:

It's all about how you prepare the songs, and the way you have made it sound is like "hurr durr memorized the sequence for phrases in LIVE mode in LSDJ and changing pulse widths" when that is sometimes the case. One can always improvise melodies and play them out later in a track, as well as use a LSDJ keyboard to play along. Also, LIVE mode is good for jamming with musicians and rapidly tracking new stuff to compliment live performers (creative panning use can create a "cue" channel to send to your headphones).

It's literally all about the performer and their intentions on put on a show, LIVE mode or SONG mode or just pressing play.

NC in the US of America

Thank you for taking my question seriously. Outside of the lsdj fanbase there is this stigma that lsdj artists who perform live "pretend" that pressing start and spazzing out = performing a piece of music, basically micro-skrillex with a gameboy, and I've just been thinking about that lately. I know it is not necessarily true, and I've read this thread so I've seen the ideas of what goes into a good live performance. I just wanted to see people's thoughts on the question. Thank you.

Personally, I actually would enjoy the experience of listening to stuff in a live setting with the group experience and big speakers. You can't always get that, so, even if the artist just presses play and twiddles some knobs on a mixer, I'd be perfectly fine. It's like a listening party of sorts.

Last edited by SketchMan3 (Jul 3, 2013 3:05 am)

Playboy Man-Baby
SketchMan3 wrote:

Thank you for taking my question seriously. Outside of the lsdj fanbase there is this stigma that lsdj artists who perform live "pretend" that pressing start and spazzing out = performing a piece of music, basically micro-skrillex with a gameboy, and I've just been thinking about that lately. I know it is not necessarily true, and I've read this thread so I've seen the ideas of what goes into a good live performance. I just wanted to see people's thoughts on the question. Thank you.

Personally, I actually would enjoy the experience of listening to stuff in a live setting with the group experience and big speakers. You can't always get that, so, even if the artist just presses play and twiddles some knobs on a mixer, I'd be perfectly fine. It's like a listening party of sorts.

I posted about this like...3 pages ago.

This thread's started to just sound like people getting butthurt because they like having people come out to see them jump up and down and do nothing while music plays. "Complicating the presentation of the music" ≠ "I want to present this song to people by using my own efforts and spur of the moment creativity in conjunction with previous ideas I laid out".

I wrote this acoustic song. I'm gonna play it now.
Just give us the sheet music and go home.

Last edited by Invisible Robot Hands (Jul 3, 2013 6:01 am)

Playboy Man-Baby

[edit for repost]

Last edited by Invisible Robot Hands (Jul 3, 2013 5:53 am)

NC in the US of America

Yeah, you are right. There's no need for the thread to take that tone, though, since live chipmusic performance has nothing to do with me. Sorry, it's been a while since I read the last 8 pages. I shouldn't have bumped this back up. I was just a bit shocked when I read/heard some comments from people who looked down on all lsdj performance as just being glorified ipod playback. I should have just re-read through the thread and refreshed myself instead of asking a silly question.

Serbia,Belgrade

My first set.Was in a club,everyone did something live.I did lsdj and kaoss pad.Added some synth stuff through kaoss pad effects,prewritten samples and fuck around with mic.THE MOST IMPORTANT THING IS TO HAVE FUN AND TO DANCE AROUND AND SHOW THAT YOU'RE ENJOYING IT.TRANSFER THE WIBE MAAAAN

You could split up the channels and upload them into Ableton live.  You can trigger/solo/mute each of them manually and do a live remix of sorts.  That would at least present something different than your studio/online version to the audience.

washington

i've gotten along fine with abusing the hell out of the solo/mute function in lsdj.

Portland, OR

The general public will probably always assume that you're just pressing play no matter what you do. Even if you play guitar and run around, people are going to ask stuff like "so what video games do you get your samples from?"

I almost feel like giving a preamble speech before I play about what LSDJ is and how I make music, but that'd be kind of silly.

Necrothread whatever, it's a perennial chipmusic issue

washington

the only thing you need to say before a chip show imo is taken/paraphrased from a video of a barbeque set:

"hey, i'm (artist name), shit fucks up"

Brunswick, GA USA
jerkemy wrote:

I almost feel like giving a preamble speech before I play about what LSDJ is and how I make music, but that'd be kind of silly.

It's okay if you keep your explanation simple and quick, but it's not mandatory.

Chicago

you could always get an mpc or something and rock along.

or export your songs and play them thru ableton or traktor or some software like that. That way you would have access to effects and would be able to transition smoothly between songs.