Iowa

I haven't bought it yet but if it;s not one of the bonuses PLEASE Mr. Shifter release a full version of Reformat The Planet (Low Gravity Version)!

IL, US

NC in the US of America

I don't know what it is about this release. On the surface it seems so simple and simple, but it just has SOMETHING that just sets apart from other simple simple things. I don't know what it is. It makes me feel a bit bad for the newbies who end up making simple simple things but just can't measure up to this level for whatever reason.

It's just so much fun and has so much heart. So unabashed and unashamed. Just pure heart and fun and fist pump.

Last edited by SketchMan3 (Jul 19, 2013 8:32 am)

BOSTON

perhaps you could say that the melodies are simple but the arrangements are very sophisticated. tons of melodic counterpoint, harmonies and voices coming in and out, lots of sonic variety in every song. i would easily argue that the amount of detail and MUSIC in those songs rival anything produced on the GB since.

SketchMan3 wrote:

I don't know what it is about this release. On the surface it seems so simple and simple, but it just has SOMETHING that just sets apart from other simple simple things.

part of it is just perceived.. if it was a random dude and not bit shifter posting this you would listen to it differently. another part of it is that this album/style has been repeatedly ripped off of and diluted to a point where most bit pop lsdj releases have simply nothing new or exciting to offer.. (most).. and so this album represents ye happier and fresher time of olde for lsdj unceyness.. disco.txt was the first release in a while in sort of the same vein that was worth the time to listen to imo

Last edited by defPREMIUM (Jul 19, 2013 9:00 am)

Robotcity, the year 20XX

Awesome release. For me it is the same as for everyone else: it is the master of puppets/static age/something to write home about/enter the 36 chambers of chip music. And I like Morbid Angel a lot.

Pretty funny to see how humble Josh stays although he apparently influenced 60% of the whole "scene"  big_smile

Liverpool, UK

FUCK BANDCAMP WHERE'S THE VINYL ISSUES OF THIS CUNT

Robotcity, the year 20XX
calmdownkidder wrote:

FUCK BANDCAMP WHERE'S THE VINYL ISSUES OF THIS CUNT

Good point!

Milwaukee, WI
calmdownkidder wrote:

VINYL

Planet Zaxxon

320K and FLAC >?!>!>! HOW DARE YOU!!!!!

not jophish anymore

What the fuck's a Hexadecimal Genome?

Abandoned on Fire

Is it robot DNA?

Los Angeles, CA

I put this on Facebook but I'll repost it here:
"I've been covering "Reformat The Planet" at shows since at least 2011, so it's probably no surprise how I feel about this album or Bit Shifter. To me, this release has always been the pinnacle of chipmusic. I've never been very subtle with nods to musicians I love and respect with my own music, and especially on "Game Boy Rock", there are so many things I pretty much outright stole from Bit Shifter. Just listen to the title track from that and then "Hexadecimal Genome", need I say more...

Even though it's been available for free since 2006, I'm glad to see this album remastered and re-released with bonus tracks. People who entered the scene in 2012 and maybe never heard it might not "get it" the same way a lot of us did in '06, it certainly doesn't have the same crazy sounds and production value of a Danimal Cannon record (or whoever the fuck else you new chiptune scene kids listen to, get off my lawn) but goddamn, it sure is fun to dance to.

I stopped writing melodic stuff in 2011 because I felt like I was just making chipmusic that sounded like it was from '06-'08, and now I realize, maybe that isn't such a bad thing.

Anyway, GO LISTEN TO THIS NOW. Joshua Davis, thank you for the years of inspiration and great music, I fucking love you."

Seriously the pinnacle of chiptune. So many ways

Edit: wizwars I've always appreciated the melody aspect to your tunes.

Last edited by 12ianma (Jul 19, 2013 7:01 pm)

England

how to react to bit shifter

England

i couldnt find any videos of people singing along at a live show sad