Montreal, Canada

So there I was browsing Le Tube of You when I stumbled on someone who uploaded my 2 tracks EP (available for free off bandcamp anyways, with sources and all) to youtube in high quality.

I.. don't know what to make of it? I mean.. in a way I really don't care since I'm giving these tracks away for free anyways, and the guy did take the time to post the full credits/info as found on bandcamp. And it's about only a dozen views for each tracks so it's not like he's gonna keep my kids from going to college or something.

But on the other hand... I find it kind of extremely impolite to not have been asked at all when my contact info is plastered everywhere around these tracks (hell.. its even on his ripped videos.) And it raises a few question.. like what if he did it to people who are putting their songs up for sale? What if he does it again with my album? Why wouldn't he just ask when I would've probably just accepted? Should I file a "copyright claim" of some kind?

It just leaves me a bit confused. Anyways, I sent him a message saying it would've been polite to ask me first. Didn't make threats or insulted anyone or anything. But I'm curious, what would YOU do if your tracks were put up on a website like that without being asked?

washington

i'd be shocked that someone actually thought it was worth doing to upload my music to youtube! wink

it's probably good that you sent him a message about it and you haven't done anything too serious/drastic. if you were charging money for the tracks, i'd say to report the videos under copyright infringement if he refuses to take them down, but you're not charging money for them, so i'm not sure what to make of it either.

but yeah, just make sure he's aware of copyright laws and permission and whatnot. if he does this to someone who isn't so nice, he might get sued or something.

TSSBAY01

you shouldnt care

Maine
basspuddle wrote:

i'd be shocked that someone actually thought it was worth doing to upload my music to youtube! wink

this so hard

Planet Zaxxon

The way I look at it.. even if you were charging a price to sell your music, what is the difference between someone streaming for free on bandcamp or streaming for free on youtube? Its pretty much the same idea.

And your album is for free, so people can just put your music anywhere they want even easier.

My music is all over the place... songs that were free and not free.. You will never win that battle, so just forget about it! And at the end of the day, more people are hearing your stuff.

Montreal, Canada

Yeah I hear that. That's pretty much the way I see it too. Just would've been nice to be asked, out of principle.

Youngstown, OH

My music has gotten ripped and thrown on the tubes a couple times. I look at it as flattery and generally helping my cause, though I do know that sort of bittersweetness is there.

But, I believe there's a saying that goes once your art is out there, it no longer belongs to you. In the digital age that is especially true, and all we can really do sometimes is be grateful for the people that genuinely appreciate what you do, even if isn't always expressed in the most personally fulfilling way.

ive never done anything about it in any of the 2 times its happened. hes doing you a favour really. you should have all your stuff on youtube! unless its promoting an agenda you disagree with then it doesnt seem like  a problem. its sort of rude but people dont email miley cyrus or koRn when they upload their songs to youtube either.. its just sort of accepted that all music belongs on youtube

Bristol, UK

It's free promotion, send the uploader a comment saying thanks, hopefully they'll do it again for you. That's what I do when that happens...

los angeles

idgaf

los angeles

also this isnt "using" your track, it's just sharing it. they're not gaining anything from uploading it in the first place.

u sound like an old guy wink plus i could never justify being upset about someone uploading my music (even if it wasn't free) for the simple fact that i have used youtube so much to listen to other artists' music that i hadn't bought..

I would be surprised if my stuff popped up on youtube since I don't share it with anyone. 

If I did I would feel sorta proud.  They went to the trouble of crediting you, which is all I would want.  I would then ask them if they want to work on stuff together.

Consider if your music was popular.  Would you want 5000 emails a day asking if people can use it for this thing or share it in some way?  Unless someone is profiting from your work, or using it in a way you have a problem with, I think you should  be glad for the additional exposure.  If you don't want people listening to your stuff, do like I do, keep it to yourself.

Buenos Aires, Argentina

Other users have always asked me before using my music on his YT videos/games/ads, etc. Only a very low percent of people do not asks for permissions, you only just had a little bad luck, the song's free, you have been credited, etc, nice.

East Kilbride, Scotland
tempsoundsolutions wrote:

you shouldnt care

this

Chicago IL

I usually overreact and go straight to the forums about it