Melbourne, Australia

I'd hate to be someone who had organised / paid to travel to come to this event (or who was coming a long way after being booked and had started organising to make this happen) – how disappointing for all concerned.

Let’s take something positive from this though and treat it as a learning experience for anyone else thinking about putting on a large scale show – or hell, even a small one.

I think that reading this thread (and the earlier one) from start to finish is probably really useful for anyone in the future trying to organise a big show (not just chip, in any genre) in so far as the difference between getting feedback from people and taking their opinions on how they think you should run your show in a public forum. We’ve been there (getting unsolicited “advice”), believe me, but thankfully we’ve never had it dissolve to this level because we’ve usually nipped it in the bud – it’s amazing what a PM can do rather than replying in public and letting these things get bigger and more out of hand.

It’s interesting the difference between this thread any of the past blip threads – or any other big show... I don’t need to say what they are – you can all read.

Let’s hope that this doesn’t mean that b3tabot or others aren’t discouraged from putting on shows. We do all want to further the scene but sometimes baby steps are not a bad thing... and neither are surprise announcements – Blip Tokyo anyone?

BOSTON

hey biatches. lets do it anyways. lets put on a NYC memorial day show. we already have a badass line-up

Tacoma WA
dosPrompt wrote:

I'd hate to be someone who had organised / paid to travel to come to this event (or who was coming a long way after being booked and had started organising to make this happen) – how disappointing for all concerned.

Let’s take something positive from this though and treat it as a learning experience for anyone else thinking about putting on a large scale show – or hell, even a small one.

I think that reading this thread (and the earlier one) from start to finish is probably really useful for anyone in the future trying to organise a big show (not just chip, in any genre) in so far as the difference between getting feedback from people and taking their opinions on how they think you should run your show in a public forum. We’ve been there (getting unsolicited “advice”), believe me, but thankfully we’ve never had it dissolve to this level because we’ve usually nipped it in the bud – it’s amazing what a PM can do rather than replying in public and letting these things get bigger and more out of hand.

It’s interesting the difference between this thread any of the past blip threads – or any other big show... I don’t need to say what they are – you can all read.

Let’s hope that this doesn’t mean that b3tabot or others aren’t discouraged from putting on shows. We do all want to further the scene but sometimes baby steps are not a bad thing... and neither are surprise announcements – Blip Tokyo anyone?

on this note here is a fairly useful read on throwing shows.

http://www.nwtekno.org/showthread.php?t=85199

Enid, OK

ahh this is a shame sad

Brooklyn, NY
celsius wrote:

Don't go blaming the scene or a forum for your mistakes b3tabot. You've failed in so many areas here.

You obviously didn't enter into a contract with the venue or your financial backers. You didn't do your research on your target audience to gauge demand and worst of all you tried to organise an even in a public forum. You wanted to have your cake and eat it too. You wanted to ride the excitement and adulation of your peers to gig day but when the water got too cold you started having second thoughts. You can say that it's the venues fault all you want, but your job as a promoter is to ensure that things like venue bookings are concrete.

These are all novice mistakes and I doubt you've ever thrown a successful event of this scale previously if you are still making these errors.

BOSTON

cmon guys, where is the carnage? these responses are far too even-handed o far. especially you dosPrompt. that sort of insightful, constructive criticism is WAY out of line here.

Melbourne, Australia
BR1GHT PR1MATE wrote:

cmon guys, where is the carnage? these responses are far too even-handed o far. especially you dosPrompt. that sort of insightful, constructive criticism is WAY out of line here.

I have Celsius to dole out the bad stuff. Good Cop - Bad Cop. wink - We take turns

Melbourne, Australia
BR1GHT PR1MATE wrote:

You're killing the scene! YOU killed chip con!

̛̛̩̥̩̥̩̥̅ ̥⎬̛̛̛̛̛̥̥̩̥̩̩

We are all to blame

The City Of Angels

I lol'd.

NYC

I was actually looking forward to this to the max...it was such an expansive list of artist dude T_T;;;

California

Chip-con: The greatest unintentional pun in ages.
lolpwnd!

The City Of Angels
TristEndo wrote:

Chip-con: The greatest unintentional pun in ages.
lolpwnd!

=

Mono wrote:

I lol'd.

NSW, Australia

Waaait, like nearly every post here was talking about how excited they were, and how awesome the line-up is, but there are a few nay-sayers and everything turns to shit ? WHAT THE FUCK HAPPENED?

ad-hell-aide

Pretty much...

Milwaukee, WI

Heads would be rolling if I would have purchased my plane ticket before-hand like I was going to do.

Do NOT for a second put blame on anyone being a "hater"/too negative/not embracing the scene/etc etc This was fishy from the beginning, and anyone who would let a few words on a fucking messageboard stop a show needs a SERIOUS dose of reality.

My questions are these: Did anyone actually get a plane ticket paid for? Did anyone pay for a plane ticket? Let's hear the horror stories.

On a different note: I guess the Radiograffiti record releases will be happening here in the Midwest now. Thank fucking christ.