barf

superbyte is in my home town!!!

they didn't invite me tho, huff ( *3*)

The music scene/culture at SUNY Purchase is so great! My band's the only one that makes chip music (although there's an amazing guy that makes non-chip video gamey prog/jazz), but it doesn't matter since all of our other elements and musical flavors fit in well with the rest of the scene (punk and power pop, mostly).

Pretty slim in my area (Eastern Arkansas). :3

That said, I *DID* just travel to Nashville (only 4 hours out) last Friday and help with a show called Future Night (link to previous show - https://www.facebook.com/events/510046892405987/). Was a mix of an interactive art gallery + lofi electronic/chipmusic/indie band show. Turn-out was pretty decent, and the crowd was quite receptive to Roboctopus' set and our little ChipWIN booth in the corner (we handed out a lot of business cards & Erin aka Chip Mom gave away a bunch of free cookies haha). Will be returning to help again in the future! smile

Definitely makes me want to seriously look into doing the same thing even more locally to myself. My best bet (for distance) is Memphis, TN, although it's honestly a notoriously hard town for any sort of electronic/indie music. Might be possible, though. WHO KNOWS?!? wink

I also keep tossing around the idea of a 2-3 day chipmusic fest in one of the national parks around here during the Spring/Fall. The parks in this area are beautiful, camping/cabins is CHEAP (travel would be the most limiting factor), I have the audio gear and enough *SEMI*-local artists to pull from (PANDAstar, shitbird, boaconstructor, Roboctopus, Theory of N, shanebro, Tri Angles, Professor ShyGuy, Solarbear, Mr. Wimmer, SSD Engage, S.P.R.Y, Sp00ked, etc), the weather would be *PERFECT* (nice & cool), and MAGStock (a similar thing in Virginia) has proven it *CAN* work. Just a matter of finding the time to do it, which is always in short supply. C'est la via. Again, *COULD* happen, though....

Pittsburgh

Anamanaguchi has come to PGH twice, and one time I mentioned LSDJ to someone and they almost knew what it was. So.....nearly nonexistent.

Alive and well in fucksville

I have an awesome idea. everybody who makes chiptunes move to the same town! we will overwhelm the locals, take thier jobs, wives, and book nothing but chipfests...

IL, US
Another Castle wrote:

Anamanaguchi has come to PGH twice, and one time I mentioned LSDJ to someone and they almost knew what it was. So.....nearly nonexistent.

bit mummy & 8cylinder are both in pittsburgh, last i knew

S H I T S I T E LOL !

i dont care (~_~), if it even exists .

Last edited by donteatdinosaurs (May 2, 2014 1:42 am)

Oklahoma City, OK
Wizwars wrote:

Sometimes the only way there is going to be a local chiptune community is if you get off your ass and create one.

Yeah, it seems like my only option at this point. In OKC there's only me and another guy I know and his band. I have another friend who is getting started, and a couple of other people who dabble in it occasionally, that's about it.

So it looks like I'm going to have to help start it, and I'm okay with that. I would love to help build a scene here. smile

Boise, ID
bitjacker wrote:

I have an awesome idea. everybody who makes chiptunes move to the same town! we will overwhelm the locals, take thier jobs, wives, and book nothing but chipfests...

lets

Florida

Nonexistent as far as I know

Last edited by D3LL (Feb 1, 2015 11:08 pm)

L―c―o

There isn't any here.  It is possible that there are a few fans on the local college campus, but I greatly dislike going to college campuses.

I am a solo mission.

IL, US

oh, and for the record chicago is still pretty shitty... just not many gig opportunities here after years of low turnouts.. the food is awesome though

Italy
materiaxmedica wrote:

There isn't any here.  It is possible that there are a few fans on the local college campus, but I greatly dislike going to college campuses.

I am a solo mission.

feeling you.

Despite the fact that in my area the few people who actually seem to be interested in the kind-of-chippy sound don't really appreciate the "TRVE CONSOLE FACTOR", preferring more edm oriented elements and fakebit stuff, I hope that moving to uni will help me getting in touch with the right people.

At least it would be nice to know someone who's a bit (heehee) into chiptune music without having me to make him listen to it.

San Antonio, Texas

I've played a few shows here in San Antonio (mostly as last minute additions to someone who backed out) and have gotten mixed reactions. I have a few more shows lined up for the summer so I guess somebody took a liking. 

TX Chip is still rocking Austin and LazyBit Collective still puts on rad shows in Houston tho, so it's not like I can't go somewhere else to play.

Boise, ID

When I lived in Indonesia I was truly surprised at how many people made chip. I wish I could go back and actually get involved and meet them.

Here in Boise though, only Abadox and I seem to be active. On one hand it's lonely, but on the other, it's kind of an advantage, like Sketchman said. Hardly anyone knows about it, so you get the privilege of being their first exposure to it.

So. California

I'm in Southern California and I know of no one in my area that digs the beautiful sounds of chip music.