Spain

I don't like chiptune. I don't hate it but I don't enjoy listening to it. I'm only here for the Game Boy related hardware projects and mods. Is there anybody else in my situation?

Madriz, Supain

Thats because you never been to our concerts. Then youll love it.

Abandoned on Fire

why would you bother modding shitty old consoles if not for chiptune purposes? seriously, why?

NC in the US of America

Playing games in the dark, artistic expression, game-play modification, profit, etc. There's lots of things you can do with a modded gameboy besides making music with it. Like... a good amount of the mods don't directly affect the music that comes out anyway. A better question is why would you bother modifying the appearance of old consoles for musical purposes, lol. Of course there are plenty of mods that do affect the music, yes.

Kyle, Tx

Im more into modding the consoles myself but I do rather enjoy the bennifit of being able to do chiptunes with this hobby.

UK, Leicester
egr wrote:

why would you bother modding shitty old consoles if not for chiptune purposes? seriously, why?

Maybe because some people still want to use them at gameboys, rather than instruments, which was, after all, their original purpose.

Christ.

IL, US

(shrug) so you want to play game boy games and backlight a dmg instead of buying a gba sp? doesn't really make a ton of sense to me either

Abandoned on Fire

Nope. Not seeing any value in modding for non-creative use.

matt's mind
SuperBustySamuraiMonkey wrote:

i tend to agree with this.  chip shows are crazy fun

ohio gozaimasu

If you want info on hardware mods then why are you on a music forum? Why not go somewhere like benheck or modretro or something?

e.s.c. wrote:

(shrug) so you want to play game boy games and backlight a dmg instead of buying a gba sp? doesn't really make a ton of sense to me either

I typically play my games on the original hardware they were designed for.  I could play my game boy games on an sp or super game boy or emulator, but, i know for me and many others, that lacks some of the appeal.  Some of these game boys and consoles have been with us for decades, and are like old friends, so why not improve them?

there is value to both sides.

Kyle, Tx
egr wrote:

Then your not being creative

IL, US
rygD wrote:
e.s.c. wrote:

I typically play my games on the original hardware they were designed for.  I could play my game boy games on an sp or super game boy or emulator, but, i know for me and many others, that lacks some of the appeal.  Some of these game boys and consoles have been with us for decades, and are like old friends, so why not improve them?

wel if you really wanted to be authentic, you should just use a NUBY light
and its not like i was even suggesting emulators (which are totally fine), its gba sp

e.s.c. wrote:
rygD wrote:

wel if you really wanted to be authentic, you should just use a NUBY light
and its not like i was even suggesting emulators (which are totally fine), its gba sp

If I have a game boy, and used it for years to play a game, i may want to play the same game on the same system i have always played it on.  I never said anything about authenticity.  I also never had a light for my game boy, but that has nothing to do with deciding to make it easier to see NOW.  plus those lights suck compared to backlights.  it makes perfect sense to add a backlight so that people can see the games they are playing instead of replacing what they already have or want  to use with something else.  Additionally, some people enjoy doing mods, so they get enjoyment from the game boy 2 ways.  Ever tried to use a game genie with an sp (or anything other than a DMG)?  Not a great choice.  Game boy cameras were made to be sticking out of the top of a game boy, not the bottom.  the sp is also a bit of a hand cramper, and is not  quite as durable as older systems. It is a great design, and i wish i still had mine, but there are many reasons to go for something else. 

I mentioned emus because they are a better option than an sp.  many people already have things they can use for on the go gaming with a backlight and not need to fuck around with cartridges or carry another device.  there are many better and easier options for making music, so if you don't see the reason for people playing games on a game boy that was designed for playing games, how can it make any sense to you to use it for music?

NC in the US of America
egr wrote:

modding IS a creative use

Taichung, Taiwan
SuperBustySamuraiMonkey wrote: