Abandoned on Fire

Sweetwater link: http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/ … MgodvC0A0w

Seems like a lot of people have asked about a device just like this.  Stick your samples on an SD card and bang them out with the pads.  No sequencer or effects (other than reverb).  Just finger jammin' good times.

____________________________________________________________________________________________

EDIT:  Review after 2 or 3 days of playing

I got my MPX8 and have been playing with it a lot.  Haven't been able to get the "editor" software working on Linux but I don't think I'll even bother to figure it out since making kits on the device is so easy.

SOUND:  sounds great, reverb effect is very tasteful but effects the volume a LOT, maybe a slight bass boost at the outputs, "Tune" parameter is limited to +/- 4 semitones which is pretty weak sad

PLAYABILITY:  pads have a really comfortable texture on top, extremely responsive, all the flashy colors are fun

EDITING:  jog wheel plus four buttons, if you've ever used an electronic instrument from the 80s you'll be right at home (so yeah, pretty much everyone on this site), screen is big and not overly bright and is actually very impressive

SD CARD STORAGE:  the only complaint here is that you can't have any folder structure AT ALL, all samples have to be in the root directory of the card

MIDI:  haven't tried it yet

I expect this device to get some serious firmware upgrades.  At $99 it's going to make it's way into a lot of people's hands and they're gonna want some extra juice.  Fingers crossed that Akai doesn't just immediately jump to the next upgraded model and forget about this little guy.

Last edited by egr (Sep 24, 2013 11:46 pm)

Tokyo, Japan

Ok, that is an amazing idea. Im surprised there hasn't been something like this on the market long before.

thx for the link smile have been looking for something like this.

IL, US

ill probably grab one eventually...

Joliette, QC, Canada
e.s.c. wrote:

ill probably grab one eventually...

Same here ! I RARELY bring my MPC to my shows since it takes so much space on the table !!! I will finally be able to do some breakbeat drumpads in a portable way (I just use 8 pads on 16 for drums anyway so that's perfect !!! big_smile)
Here is a video of myself trying to freestyle some drumpads and expect me to do more of these with a MPX8 !!! (if the velocity is good on it !) wink
https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v=10 … amp;type=3

Unsubscribe

The big complaint I read about these is loading kits are SLOWWW. IF any of you grab one id be very interested in your feedback.

Unsubscribe
egr wrote:

Just finger jammin' good times.

Also each pad can be panned to one of the two outs, so in reality you can use it as a dual mono sampler with a poormans effect send.

Abandoned on Fire

went ahead and impulse bought from Amazon so we'll see how it performs in a week or so

Mexico

Actually you can send midi notes to the sampler via MIDI from a gameboy using de Arduinoboys MIDI out! I was going to buy this one but I got a mpc500 instead for half price

Mexico

$99 on sweetwater store, excellent price! Actually you can send midi notes to the sampler via MIDI from LSDJ using the Arduinoboys MIDI out! I was going to buy this one but I got a mpc500 instead for $200

Unsubscribe

Thats a great price, cant you also use the mpcs audio in as a fx/mixer for the dmg?

Joliette, QC, Canada
maniacfreakquency wrote:

$99 on sweetwater store, excellent price! Actually you can send midi notes to the sampler via MIDI from LSDJ using the Arduinoboys MIDI out! I was going to buy this one but I got a mpc500 instead for $200

IMO I think the 500 is meh...they could have done it way better. (It was my first mpc...I should have just get a 1000 already)
Can't install JJOS the pads are not as good as the others (and only 12 pads...not a good number if you want to chop a sample in a program) and all the original akai OS sucks real bad for MIDI (500 included) Stuffs like the Nanoloop midi cable don't work on it and got a lot of other small troubles !!!  :S

Wow what a great product, nice to see more devices which can be counted as actual instruments rather than just fancy midi controllers.

Bristol

can it load MPC programs? If it could.. then I'd quite gladly get rid of my MPC500 for it.. I don't use half of the features, and nor do I need to.. I just trigger midi samples.

Unsubscribe

nope, you have to just assign samples using the desktop tool. No layers, no zones.

Bristol

thats a shame.. still, pretty neat.. it's about time the MPC line got a bit of (non software) love.