omg yes! awesome post

detroit

nothing

Brunswick, GA USA
highadventures wrote:

My Dad's an incredibly strict Muslim and music is discouraged in Islam, so the only music I could get away with listening to growing up the sound of my video games.

Make sure they never get to see the "video games are/aren't art" threads.

Unsubscribe
highadventures wrote:

The best story

NYC

Cool sounds.  Cool people.  And inexpensive too.  : P

Arad, Romania

Man, I love LFO (sine wave LFO for pulse or sawtooth waveforms) pads so much. Here's an example (right at the beginning of the song): http://youtu.be/ohnzFKUSv1o

I've heard this type of sound in songs by 4mat and Xerxes, but other demoscene artists as well (another notable example in the intro of this song). It has a kind of creepy aspect to it as well as a moody one.

Last edited by qb (Dec 25, 2013 8:26 pm)

TylerBarnes wrote:

I love the limitations. As you all know there are never limitations in terms of the music style or feeling one might want to create. I'm talking purely systematic and hardware limitations. I just like knowing that I'm never very far away from reaching the bleeding edge of what the hardware is capable of. It's better for my learning and better for my creativity. I innovate and think creatively cause the system forces me too. And when I finally do finish a song I'm pleased with, it makes me all the more proud that I made my happy chip friend in my console sound amazing despite the incredible limitations that it my have.

^A thousand times this. Pushing myself and the tracker to its limits is something I do on a regular basis. Always entertaining and a good challenge (I've made entire tracks with one generator and one channel just to see if I could do it). I still marvel at some of the clever ways chiptune artists make it sound like they have 5+ channels to work with.

Detroit

bcuz i lost my virginity 2 family music

canada

egg smile

i have no clue tbh.

Portsmouth, Uk

I Was Drawn To Chiptune Like Alot Of Others (Nostalgia) The Tunes Kept Me Playin The Games. Pure Love. Then I Realized I Could Be Free And Create And Listen To Others Being Creative, On The Same Machines I Grew Up With (Playin Stupid Games Like McDonaldland)

Much Love To You All.

Merry Chipmas

Kiel, Germany

You know what's nice? The chiptune scene in germany is so small that I can play whatever the fuck I want at shows. People don't expect anything. You can throw noise at them, rip off anamanaguchi, play some hip hop beats, whatever. There'll always be someone who'll enjoy the weird sounds that you're making.

France (au milieu)

weekly chipgroup therapy thread, mm ?

smile

L―c―o

I grew up in isolation.  Wide open spaces devoid of life; Life had perhaps taken place on that celluloid at one point, but it felt like only being able to walk through the scenery on set with the echoes of what once had been.  Having gone to many places and being welcome in none of them, my friends were made of pixels and my emotions became coloured in their image.  The way I heard and felt things inside myself formed in digital blips and bleeps, and so it became my heartbeat. 

It fills me with the tender innocence of pure feeling that I once was and that we all once were, and makes me feel as if there is a way for me to truly be understood and convey what it has been like to live my life during the times that it has been lived and to be able to communicate with and understand those who have some sense of relativity with those things.

Whateverville, California
materiaxmedica wrote:

I grew up in isolation.  Wide open spaces devoid of life; Life had perhaps taken place on that celluloid at one point, but it felt like only being able to walk through the scenery on set with the echoes of what once had been.  Having gone to many places and being welcome in none of them, my friends were made of pixels and my emotions became coloured in their image.  The way I heard and felt things inside myself formed in digital blips and bleeps, and so it became my heartbeat. 

It fills me with the tender innocence of pure feeling that I once was and that we all once were, and makes me feel as if there is a way for me to truly be understood and convey what it has been like to live my life during the times that it has been lived and to be able to communicate with and understand those who have some sense of relativity with those things.

I understand this and feel a great degree of empathy to your situation.
As a kid I used to make up "video game songs" in my head constantly for lack of a way to express myself. Now as an adult I can translate the feeling of those memories into actual music. It's something I do for myself, not strictly as nostalgia, but as a statement of intent towards the world. Music is the sharing and translation of feeling into an accessible format. I think that Chiptune has a tendency to be sincere and poignant, because of it's simple/limited nature. I like that.

L―c―o
Imaginary wrote:

I understand this and feel a great degree of empathy to your situation.
As a kid I used to make up "video game songs" in my head constantly for lack of a way to express myself. Now as an adult I can translate the feeling of those memories into actual music. It's something I do for myself, not strictly as nostalgia, but as a statement of intent towards the world. Music is the sharing and translation of feeling into an accessible format. I think that Chiptune has a tendency to be sincere and poignant, because of it's simple/limited nature. I like that.

Yes, I feel the same way.  The beautiful and endless depth of humble simplicity.  Simple things often mean so much more than complicated ones.