Straya Mate
Timbob wrote:

Make one for the Atari Lynx.

big_smile

But seriously.

You should

so sound. much wow. many waveforms.

Hey, don't joke. wink

I have sitting next to me my (First version) Lynx which I was playing today, 6 fresh AA's, Chips Challenge and Bill & Teds Excellent Adventure.

Need to get round to installing another DC Jack though, as it's been broken since I was a kid....

Last edited by DaRkO (Nov 20, 2013 10:23 am)

DaRkO wrote:

Nah but seriously, may as well just bin my whole sd cart now not much point if krikzz is doing this.

Unless your cart is cheaper, or more readily available.  Even if it isn't, there is room on the market for more than one SD GB flash cart.

Maybe you can do some different things with your design.

Melbourne, Australia
rygD wrote:

Even if it isn't, there is room on the market for more than one SD GB flash cart.

Maybe you can do some different things with your design.

^^^

What he said. tongue

Timbob wrote:

gave me an idea......
drag n doge

Sweeeeeeden
Jazzmarazz wrote:

I'm just gale to see him adding level shifters to his cart finally. All of the other everdrives have...none.

This is not necessarily a problem. He probably used a 5V tolerant CPLD+resistors for those, which means he still did things by the book. In those designs, he would've needed to interface everything through the CLPD. In this case, the board real estate is more limited, so he needed to connect the data lines directly for the memory chips, which means the level shifters are necessary. Plus, there might not be a 3.3V, 5V-tolerant CPLD that is small enough to be usable in a GB cart.

DaRkO wrote:
Timbob wrote:

Make one for the Atari Lynx.

big_smile

But seriously.

You should

Hey, don't joke. wink

I have sitting next to me my (First version) Lynx which I was playing today, 6 fresh AA's, Chips Challenge and Bill & Teds Excellent Adventure.

Need to get round to installing another DC Jack though, as it's been broken since I was a kid....

No but seriously, I saw a topic a while back about a Lynx tracker/music program. And that machine has some serious basslines...

defPREMIUM wrote:
Timbob wrote:

gave me an idea......
drag n doge

ha, well, there goes my vanilla coke..

Brooklyn, NY
Jazzmarazz wrote:

I'm just gale to see him adding level shifters to his cart finally. All of the other everdrives have...none.

No need for this. I'm fairly certain that the address/data lines run through an FPGA/CPLD first, which would handle level conversion for you. The resistors are typically a pullup for the Altera CPLDs and you don't even need them for the Xilinx XC9500 series.

Anyway, I use these for SNES/Genesis development and they're great. Glad to see that he did one for gameboy.

bed

This certainly seems cool. Whether my funds will stretch to cover the cost of one of these is a totally different question...
Besides, I'm pretty satisfied with my EMS cart atm. My current setup makes it pretty easy to transfer between the cart.

Maine

drag n doge neeeds to exist..

i feel like this whole everdrive line is going to get knocked off by china because the whole retro gaming boom.. which then ill buy a knock off one bc im not paying $100 for a gb cart or any other of those carts... ill just deal with the bs that comes along with the 64m carts..

Puke_Flytalker wrote:

drag n doge neeeds to exist..

i feel like this whole everdrive line is going to get knocked off by china because the whole retro gaming boom.. which then ill buy a knock off one bc im not paying $100 for a gb cart or any other of those carts... ill just deal with the bs that comes along with the 64m carts..

And this is why carts like this take forever to develope. Nobody respects costs and time in R and D.

Maine

it is what it is.. $140 for a cart is kinda crazy tho.. just sayain

Toronto, Ontario, Canada

$140 for a cart that'll store every game you'll ever want and will last decades doesn't seem to be a bad deal.

I do a lot of live performances in which I need to use vintage hardware (C64s, Atari STs, Game Boys) and I can tell you that spending a little extra on more reliable equipment is totally worthwhile. An EMS cart is great for someone who is getting started and if you back up often it's not likely that you'll ever lose a lot of data, but if you're on stage when an EMS cart shits itself you can't just tell your audience "hang on, I'll just plug it into my computer...I have a backup...just a few more seconds..."

For live performances using EMS carts I always have 2-3 cartridges with identical sav images loaded, if one dies I can immediately slam another one in. With a more modern device like the DnD or the Everdrive these concerns are vastly marginalized. Sure, it's still $60 more expensive but it's worthwhile.

Last edited by jefftheworld (Nov 20, 2013 3:15 pm)

kineticturtle wrote:

Awesome! Looks like fantastic work as always from krikzz.

But - Krikzz carts are always in short supply as it is, so we have little reason to expect differently from this. I'll save my excitement for when I see a ship date and price point.

Krikzz carts are never in short supply, unless you think the only way to order them is from stoneagegamer. Hint, order direct from Krikzz's website at retrogate.com. There's periods of time where his stuff is "out of stock" but that's mostly because he ran out of parts to make the carts.

Puke_Flytalker wrote:

it is what it is.. $140 for a cart is kinda crazy tho.. just sayain

Where's the $140 number coming from? Are we talking about the GB Everdrive? On his forums, krikzz mentioned that the card would be about the same price as the Everdrive MD (not to be confused with the Mega Everdrive... while they're both for the megadrive/genesis, they are built differently, and the price represents that). And the MD costs $78, and $60 if ordering 10 or more.

Maine

yea i aint trying to buy shit that is board only ill break it or short it out in like 2 seconds... and the snes one i was looking at was 140 for the same type of kit

oh yea and if you dont want a box to protect the $93.00 cart you just bought

dude like im not gonna lie if i was a rich person i would buy 2 of each from stoneagegamer with all the bells and whistles but the fact is even if i just wanted to buy the $93.00 thats how much money i spend on food for the month..

Last edited by Puke_Flytalker (Nov 24, 2013 6:04 pm)

Puke_Flytalker wrote:

yea i aint trying to buy shit that is board only ill break it or short it out in like 2 seconds... and the snes one i was looking at was 140 for the same type of kit

oh yea and if you dont want a box to protect the $93.00 cart you just bought

dude like im not gonna lie if i was a rich person i would buy 2 of each from stoneagegamer with all the bells and whistles but the fact is even if i just wanted to buy the $93.00 thats how much money i spend on food for the month..

Still not sure where you're getting $140 from. Stoneagegamer has always been a rip off (this is subjective, I'm not interested in their bells and whistles), and all they do is resell after buying in bulk off of retrogate.

Buying board only is economical, and if you have the tools, making your own shell (sd card cutout... maybe usb port on some everdrives) is fairly simple. No need to worry about shorting anything unless you're shuffling around on a carpet.

Maine

yea if imma buy it its gotta have a case and box.. thats just how i am i dont like messing up the expensive stuff i buy