Santa Cruz, California

Here's my next one (in progress).
A prize for a Pokémon X&Y competition at my favorite game store.
Should be ready in about a week.

Pittsburgh

I will travel literally anywhere to be part of this XY competition for a chance to get that thing! I LOVE your use of adding extra layers of plastic to the tops of GBAs to add more complex textures. It's always interesting when I see this thread has been bumped (unless it means you injured yourself again ;D )

Santa Cruz, California

So... Yeah. I got distracted.
I was doodling, and this happened:

Then the Internet thought it was dope as fuck, so I made a rough mockup.

I stared at it for a few minutes... Decided that it looked a little too awkward for an 80's tribute build.
It got a complete redesign.

The shape still needs a tiny bit of tweaking, but this is basically what it'll look like when it's done

Already ordered all the parts to build this thing.
You've been warned.

Last edited by Teh D3th St4r (Feb 17, 2014 8:05 am)

Jyväskylä, Finland

This thread has so much awesomeness inside.

That all in one NES build is going to be amazing.

Rhode Island

THIS LOOKS AWESOME. i hope you have a CRT going in there instead of an led

Milwaukee, WI

Woah, that NES will be beyond cool.  I want one!

Santa Cruz, California
2PLAYER wrote:

THIS LOOKS AWESOME. i hope you have a CRT going in there instead of an led

It's going to have a TFT display. There just wouldn't be room for the CRT. A monitor with such a narrow diameter would be about 11" long, and the NES is only 8" deep.
This is a kind of "what if" piece. What if Nintendo had thin and power efficient screen technology back then, would they have built this? Maybe.
It's like if a Nintendo concept sketch from the 80's could suddenly be a reality.

And thanks for all the positive feedback, guys. It makes going forward with this project seem more glamorous.

Last edited by Teh D3th St4r (Feb 18, 2014 2:43 am)

London

Thats an awesome idea. Maybe you should push the screen just a little bit back (like about 2-3 cm) and leave the cartridge slot as it is originally (with the door on it). And it looks like if its gonna be an lcd, then you could add some this and that inside. Like modded outputs, speakers, a battery or whatnot. Your mods are insane, creative and full of nice ideas! Keep it up smile

Santa Cruz, California
NightRaven wrote:

Thats an awesome idea. Maybe you should push the screen just a little bit back (like about 2-3 cm) and leave the cartridge slot as it is originally (with the door on it). And it looks like if its gonna be an lcd, then you could add some this and that inside. Like modded outputs, speakers, a battery or whatnot. Your mods are insane, creative and full of nice ideas! Keep it up smile

I deleted the door and went with the frontloader design to save space inside and make it more reliable. This one is intended to be a portable/travel NES. It'll have a 4-5 hour battery life, and storage inside for controllers and a couple of games. There'll be a mono speaker and a headphone jack.

The early version looks like it has a place for an integrated Advantage or something of the sort.  Looks like it needs a keyboard...

The second version also looks cool.  I like the integrated storage and battery.  Any handles?

What led you to relocate the grille to the top instead of the front?

I like the angles on these.

Santa Cruz, California
rygD wrote:

The second version also looks cool.  I like the integrated storage and battery.  Any handles?

What led you to relocate the grille to the top instead of the front?

I like the angles on these.

I'm going to include a folding handle on the top (like a lunch box or sewing machine)
Moving the grill was just an experent, because I moved "Power" and "Reset" to the face (those two smaller rectangles in the black bar) but I might put the grill back on the face, and move the buttons up slightly.

Last edited by Teh D3th St4r (Feb 18, 2014 9:22 am)

If you build that I will buy it!

Santa Cruz, California
onapokoya wrote:

If you build that I will buy it!

I'm building the prototype right now (I'll post some picks of the build later) and then I'm going to build between 5 and 10 of them.

Limited run/exclusive art kind of thing.
Not sure about what they'll cost, but it may be kinda spendy.

Well put me on that list as wanting one.  I was planning to just mount a screen to the top of my NES but this is 1000x better.

Santa Cruz, California

I also questioned taking the "grill" off the face of this design... so I decided to put it back.
I think it looks WAY better. I'll figure out another place in the design to integrate the "Power" and "Reset" buttons.