Ohio, USA

Hey folks. This is my first time posting here. I just recently got my USB cart for Gameboy (Dreg n Derp Cart) And I want to get a custom LSDJ label printed that I made. The label is made to look like an official gameboy game, and I also swapped the guts of the Derpcart into an official cartridge shell.

I am wondering if anyone knows a place that can print completely custom labels at the proper size and such of the real cartridges?

The real labels are 42mm x 37mm with a slight bevel, and the left and right edges of th elabel where it says the model# and "made in japan" are printed with a silver shimmer. By the looks of it the labels are screenprinted, not dyed.

Anyone know where I could get a high quality print of my labels? Id prefer if I can work closely with the company making the prints.

Once I make my first run I'll share all the graphics with the forum here for free, and offer the high quality ones for a cheap price if I can.

EDIT: I'm going ahead and upload the graphics for you all to mess with. Enjoy! Everything is editable to your liking, so feel free to remove the E rating logo, change the region, or whatever.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
LSDJ Label by WACOMalt

Download PSD from my website | Download PSD from MEGA

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Bonus! "Nintendo GAME BOY" vectors for DMG screenprint (for putting on top of a custom paint job)

Download PSD from my website | Download PSD from MEGA

Last edited by WACOMalt (Mar 29, 2014 9:13 pm)

buffalo, NY

I got my labels printed at stickermule.  I didn't get the beveled edges, but their DPI and sticker quality was totally up to par with the original stickers
http://www.stickermule.com/

This is funny. I was just talking with a friend, who has a huge printing service, about making custom labels.

Portland, OR

Really rad mock up WACOM! Throw up the printed label if you get it done.

Glitch Militia wrote:

This is funny. I was just talking with a friend, who has a huge printing service, about making custom labels.

I would love to be kept in the loop on this; I haven't found many great local printers for custome cart labels.

Matthew Joseph Payne

The Glowing Stars' USB flash cart had stickers printed by PSPrint which turned out great.

We paid to have them make a custom die in the exact size of an original cartridge label, but we were doing a bulk order so it was worth it.

Portland, OR
kineticturtle wrote:

We paid to have them make a custom die in the exact size of an original cartridge label, but we were doing a bulk order so it was worth it.

Now that they have the die I wonder if they could do reasonable custom orders..?

Ohio, USA
Glitch Militia wrote:

Let me know please if this gets anywhere!  The main thing I think will be a challenge is the slight silvering of the left and right borders, and getting the bevel right. I think the printing on the originals was done in two steps, first the silver layer for the borders, and the "Official Game Boy Game Pak" logo, then the actual graphics were screen-printed on top of that base. I think there may also then be a very thin semi-gloss film on top of everything...  It should be possible to replicate, but it definitely would require some control and planning.

kineticturtle wrote:

... We paid to have them make a custom die in the exact size of an original cartridge label, but we were doing a bulk order so it was worth it.

The die looks perfect! Nice label smile I cant tell if the label has the silvering on the left and right borders. Can they do that? Id be willing to pay for a small run for resell to all you fine folks.

Last edited by WACOMalt (Mar 27, 2014 7:34 pm)

Ohio, USA

OK, I contacted PSPrint and Stickermule.  Both said they could match the size exactly, but Neither can do the silvering. PSPrint has a minimum order of 250, Stickermule has a minimum of 50. So for the first run Id choose Stickermule, but I'm still looking for a place able to do the silver pantone.

EDIT: from more searching, it appears the ink used on the edges was likely pantone 877c ink. But I'll be amazed if I can find any place that can do it.

Last edited by WACOMalt (Mar 27, 2014 8:19 pm)

Sweeeeeeden
WACOMalt wrote:

Please change DMG-LSDJ-USA to DMG-LSDJ-EU or even DMG-LSDJ-SWE. smile

Ohio, USA
nitro2k01 wrote:

Ah right, I take it that's where he's from?

But sorry, this is a region locked cartridge.

tongue

just kidding, I'll change it to that before I send it to print. Should I change the "MADE IN JAPAN" to "MADE IN SWEDEN" too?

matt's mind

^ i'd vote yes on this change too, thats sort of cool

Unsubscribe

MADE IN EARTH

Sweden

cool label! smile
Or it should be MADE IN BERGSALA SWEDEN smile
Bergsala is the nintendo provider in sweden.

Ohio, USA

I went ahead and changed it to DMG-LSDJ-SWE and MADE IN SWEDEN

Good news! I found a company that can do them (I think) I'm getting a quote from them, but it looks promising since they had the proper ink listed on their quote page. For reference, the ink appears to be PMS 877c or PMS877 or Pantone 877c.  The process will be two stage. Lay the silver, then screenprint the full color and text on top. Then gloss is added. The final demensions wind up being 42mm x 37mm with a 1/32" bevel (about 0.8mm) on the corners.  I included a 5mm bleed edge on each side, bringing the total to 52mm x 37m counting bleed.

The company I found is called jakprints.com. I have no idea what this will cost yet, so here's hoping its at a price that I can afford tongue  I don't want to sell these for too crazy expensive,  I have the Print-ready graphics ready and will upload them here as soon as I get confirmation that they are good.

Hope this info helps anyone else looking to make custom prints smile

UK, Leicester
nitro2k01 wrote:
WACOMalt wrote:

if you're suggesting that, then maybe get rid of the "E" sign seeing as euro games don't have their ratings on the cart. Well, none of the ones I've come across have.

Madriz, Supain

The E sign is not even from the gameboy era as far I can tell.