Gosford, Australia

j arthur keenes employs a bit of ukelele in some of his stuff, i think solarbear did a uke chiptrash thing too but i cant find it

France (au milieu)

i'll try to search from there then, and will surely find some related stuff

many thanks!

UK, Leicester

sletchman3 does some uke stuff aswell iirc

Also I forgot to post this at the time, but last summer when I asked my grandad if I could borrow his camera to take some pictures for an album, I thought it would be a good idea to explain why I was. He seemed very interested and said "You see, someone like me thinks guitar, makes sound and is therefore an instrument, I'm amazed at the kind of people who went games consoles, makes sound, can be used as an instrument" and seemed to enjoy the idea of it. He doesn't really do electronic music as a whole, so I doubt he'd really like much of the music.

Finland

My artclass is pretty much the only "general public" that has ever heard my chiptunes. Generally people don't get it the fuzz, but there are a few that think it's nostalgic and reminiscent of old games (big shock) but they also told me that it sounds nice so... in that context it's been positive.

:T

most people mishear me as having said 'shit music' ehh

Brunswick, GA USA

Bnox has a uke with a pickup that doesn't sound like a uke while he plays it (to me.)

Youngstown, OH

You know, I was explaining to my good friend and fellow musician about how chip music is primarily an online-community driven scene and that live performances and such are really secondary, which he mused about being backwards from how music and the internet have worked together in the past.

I thought that was an interesting point. I really would consider what happens online to be of greater importance and live events to be more of a celebration of this music/scene/movement/whatever it is we're doing. And even then, there are often livestreams happening because they know many, many of the people interested are strewn all about the world. Cool little observation I thought.

fuck you jesse

Boise, ID
sleepytimejesse wrote:

You know, I was explaining to my good friend and fellow musician about how chip music is primarily an online-community driven scene and that live performances and such are really secondary, which he mused about being backwards from how music and the internet have worked together in the past.

I thought that was an interesting point. I really would consider what happens online to be of greater importance and live events to be more of a celebration of this music/scene/movement/whatever it is we're doing. And even then, there are often livestreams happening because they know many, many of the people interested are strewn all about the world. Cool little observation I thought.

I could agree with that, however I'd say that it's the public performances which draw in, and expose chipmusic, to a lot of people. Or at least in urban areas where you have venues and bars and other places to play. I get far more positive attention and interest from people when I do shows rather than just sharing tracks online. It could be different for people of varying degrees of "popularity" within the chipmusic scene, but for a lesser known / less talented or experienced person like myself, I don't get much regard from other people online. That's what makes playing "live" so fun for me; I can share my music on a different level, plus all the fun kinds of reactions I get from an unfamiliar crowd. It's really more encouraging. smile

- anyways, this thread was gold. (x we all can relate to this struggle on some level

Last edited by ShintarouMusic (Apr 24, 2014 10:09 pm)

Portland, OR

I'm never surprised or angry when someone doesn't understand chipmusic right away, or has "dumb" questions about it. A real explanation involves at least a little history and context. Most people's associations for those sounds are video games, so I don't see how it's an unfair first impression to mention games, or ask if the sounds are coming from a game somehow. I mean it's definitely not the same level of ignorance as if someone was like "What IS that thing?" to a guitar player.

Oklahoma City, OK

I've had people think it was really cool, and sometimes they would ask how I go about writing all of my music. To my surprise, I haven't heard any negative things about my stuff or chipt00ns in general. So, that's pretty cool.

Whateverville, California

I played my music for my dad.
Dad: "Did you make that with Soundblaster somehow?"
Me: "Nope, Nintendo sound chip software, tracker, blah blah."
Dad: (Listens for a while) "It sounds like music from the game with the little pink guy who eats everything..."
Me: "Yeah, Kirby's Dreamworld?"
Dad: "You made this?"
Me: "Yup" (I show him the tracking)
Dad: "Holy shit it looks like programing or something..."

And then he listened through the whole demo, smiling as we sat and looked out the window.

My dad had to learn to use basic DOS for work during the early 90's. We used to play Doom II co-op together when I was in grade school.
I love my dad.

NC in the US of America
Alpine wrote:

sletchman3 does some uke stuff aswell iirc

Yeah, just OHC stuff. I haven't done a proper uke+gameboy thing yet (i used lsdj kits as a drum machine for a cover of a chibitech song once. It's on soundcloud blahblah, etc,etc) Working on it though...

Here is my latest reaction to chipmusic:

"8bit sounds like sh** Sorry :\ "

smile

Last edited by SketchMan3 (Apr 27, 2014 12:21 am)

New Albany Indiana

Most of my friends are like "Yo turn that Pokeman crap off", the other group of them tolerate it but they don't take it seriously.
One of my friends tried making chip tune but he gave up.
One of my friends said he wouldn't mind going to a show and he can rock out to some ecdm.

Alabama

Reactions at Moogfest to the kitsch-bent booth was overwhelming on so many levels. Everyone was interested and excited about chipmusic, be it analog gearheads or casual non-musician folks wandering through. I will say that we opened a lot of doors for opportunity, collaboration, and business. smile will post with kitsch in the Moogfest thread in detail about this later.

Alive and well in fucksville

I love that you guys are getting new folks interested. Thank you for your work in the field.