Puerto Rico

Well, here I am, I finally composed a song that refuses to play correctly on dmg (the poor thing struggles so much).

I'm looking for the best-sounding WAY (doesn't have to be a gameboy) to play back tunes that are too much for the old brick. I'm more interested in sample fidelity and a clean signal than "bassy sound".

I checked out Weixelbaum's page but it doesn't share information on other methods, such as the supergameboy (maybe even the supergameboy 2, if there's a difference), prosounded gbasp, gameyob on ds or rin on psp, or bgb's wav rendering.

How do the lsdj pros out there record their more complex songs?

Abandoned on Fire

BGB with separate channel rendering. Also good sample prep before patching them in the rom. Check out little-scale 's tutorial on that.

Edit: bgb on pc  .

Last edited by egr (May 28, 2014 8:30 pm)

Taichung, Taiwan

Gbc with bass mod.

May not be the best of everything but it rates high in sound and cpu processing.

http://chipmusic.org/forums/topic/14184 … oto-guide/

USA

You would have the same problem on a Super Game Boy as you would on a DMG.

As the other have said try a modded GBcolor or emulate with BGB.

I really like using BGB because you can do a bunch of things with it that an actual game boy can't like plug in a controller and program the buttons in a way that work best for you, change the colors to whatever you want, make it go super fast/slow(similar to clock crystal mod for gb but different), isolate channels, and have a nice big bright easy to see screen to work on.(and if you have the right equipment you can hook up the screen ouput of your computer to a big tv or projector.)

Last edited by SurfaceDragon (May 29, 2014 9:42 am)

would a rom without an interface help run the song better ( not sure if this is an option, just curious )

I run 2 GB colors for that exact reason.

High bpms kill the DMG, having two V-commands at once is lethal (check if you can erase some), and having KIT play two samples at the same time is hard as well.

If you are able to avoid these, and the DMG's still freezes, go with GBC, easiest and cheapest to find, less battery problems on live shows, and you can change the color setting to white background/black letters for a clear, visible screen in dark areas.

The bad thing is that they don't have the warm, loud bass the DMG has, so a bass mod or blasting the Bass-knob on dj mixers is used. Yet many people think the "mixer knob-cheating" sounds good enough.
Second bad thing is a silent, yet annoying high pitch "buzz". It disappears when the music is busy, but  if you use a lot of silent moment in your tracks, it might be best to evade these things.
Third thing, and this might be just mine, but they give a low pitch buzz when touching the arrow buttons and the A and B buttons. This is kind of annoying when you're scrolling through a song (for live LSDJ'ing) or when you're selecting another song live. The song select buzz can be evaded by cross-fadering on the dj-mixer. But for live LSDJ'ing you have to roll with it (I have a few tracks with live LSDJ effects, but the buzz is "calculated"), or you have to evade doing things with your tracks live.

Other options:
Advance has a weird place for start and select buttons for LSDJ handling.
The Advance SP (mine freezes up all the time for no reason) requires adapter plugs for headset and cinchc-cables live, which arent always easy to find. But some people use them.
Some people use modded PSP's and are quite happy about that, I think.
ROMS on emulators on pc, but I think that's just silly for playing live.

Taichung, Taiwan
Jotie wrote:

Second bad thing is a silent, yet annoying high pitch "buzz". It disappears when the music is busy, but  if you use a lot of silent moment in your tracks, it might be best to evade these things.
Third thing, and this might be just mine, but they give a low pitch buzz when touching the arrow buttons and the A and B buttons. This is kind of annoying when you're scrolling through a song (for live LSDJ'ing) or when you're selecting another song live. The song select buzz can be evaded by cross-fadering on the dj-mixer. But for live LSDJ'ing you have to roll with it (I have a few tracks with live LSDJ effects, but the buzz is "calculated"), or you have to evade doing things with your tracks live.

The noise filtering mod and bass mod fix the buzz and hum issue.

Which mod fixes the button buzz, and which fixes the constant buzz?

I think I'm having a small language barrier problem here as well, so just to make sure: if English is your first language, would "buzz" be more often used to describe high-pitch noise or low-pitch noise? And what would "hum" be used for?

Also, just noting that Wizwars kind of said some related things at
http://chipmusic.org/forums/topic/11287 … nd/page/4/

Taichung, Taiwan
Jotie wrote:

Which mod fixes the button buzz, and which fixes the constant buzz?

I think I'm having a small language barrier problem here as well, so just to make sure: if English is your first language, would "buzz" be more often used to describe high-pitch noise or low-pitch noise? And what would "hum" be used for?

Also, just noting that Wizwars kind of said some related things at
http://chipmusic.org/forums/topic/11287 … nd/page/4/

Wizwars did sound inversion on his tracks post production to cancel out the noise.

If you perform the mods through my DIY thread on this forum, you should not experience any noisiness from the GBC. It will be a clean output.

Oh man, that thread is superb!

Puerto Rico

Thanks all, I'l just gonna stick with bgb. I don't play live very frequently but when I do it WILL be cool to have lsdj's visuals running.

Here's katsumbhong's thread, for the curious. http://chipmusic.org/forums/topic/14184 … oto-guide/

USA

Using a pc and emulating with BGB is not silly.

I have an old laptop that I only use for Game Boy and NES stuff and I wouldn't be able to do stuff like play Nerdrix with a wired XBOX360 guitar hero contrler live without it. I could wire up a gutar hero controller up to an actual Game Boy but then I wouldn't have things like rapid fire or fast forward and it would take a lot more gear to do multiple guitars for battling. And like I said before its also totally awesome to hook it up to a projector.

Last edited by SurfaceDragon (May 29, 2014 7:30 pm)