The first post made this thread ugly.

Middlesbrough, UK

mmm iv spent a bit of time talking to Bri from IFD. he seems a genuine enough guy.... jsut a bit poppy, but knows his kit.

England

The only reason I'm not going to listen to this is because of the one or two strong words in two of the songs.

Milwaukee, WI
Saskrotch wrote:

those guys showed up to a house party i was playin with anamanaguchi / starscream / bud melvin, refused to pay to get in, and then spent the whole time on the back porch and not listening to the music

also their music is bland frat rock, they have nothing to do with this scene and they are not good.

I remember this. This is the night when Ty's set was busted by the cops and the kids hid behind you while you held two 40's and three blunts.
They WERE on the back porch and WERE salty that no one gave a shit.

Milwaukee, WI

You know, now that I see it in text form I need to wonder if they called the cops on the whole thing.

IL, US

man, that night was fun, shame i had to split when the cops got there, work the next day, it was late, cops had been there..felt like time to gtfo while i could

Brazil
arlen wrote:

The first post made this thread ugly.

Victoria, BC, Canada

Completely putting aside how cool the band members may or may not be for a moment-- I find it a bit strange that lots of people into chiptunes insist that it's an instrument, not a genre, and that more bands should treat it that way, etc... and yet when a group like IFD comes along, they get tossed aside and have assessments like "they are not good" thrown at them like it's some sort of objective, conclusive fact.

I've only heard a few songs but I dig what I hear. I think it's pretty good music, whatever you wanna call it. Oh well. *Shrug*

~Josiah

Last edited by Bit_Rat (Apr 29, 2010 1:18 am)

Brazil

Well, JAKB uses it as an instrumet along with the harmonica.

IL, US
Bit_Rat wrote:

Completely putting aside how cool the band members may or may not be for a moment-- I find it a bit strange that lots of people into chiptunes insist that it's an instrument, not a genre, and that more bands should treat it that way, etc... and yet when a group like IFD comes along, they get tossed aside and have assessments like "they are not good" thrown at them like it's some sort of objective, conclusive fact.

I've only heard a few songs but I dig what I hear. I think it's pretty good music, whatever you wanna call it. Oh well. *Shrug*

~Josiah

other things it can be used alongside as instruments: analog synths, bent gear, violin, banjo, ukelele, washboard, etc
seriously though, i dont think its hypocritical at all to dislike a band that uses chip with other instruments just because you want more people to treat chip more as an instrument instead of a genre..that thought doesnt even really say that it couldnt still be the only instrument, but more just asking for recognition that chip stuff isnt only one genre of music, but a variety of genres done on similar instruments
its not the same thing at all, though i admit both involve the words "chip" and "instrument"

̛̛̩̥̩̥̩̥̅ ̥⎬̛̛̛̛̛̥̥̩̥̩̩
Bit_Rat wrote:

~Josiah

Yeah kinda like how we all have beef with anamanguchi right?

astral cat

i just think they suck...

New York City
Bit_Rat wrote:

yet when a group like IFD comes along, they get tossed aside and have assessments like "they are not good" thrown at them like it's some sort of objective, conclusive fact.

Videogame gimmick.

Athens, Greece

i just love them summer nights, chilling out in the yard, strummin on my chipmusic

BOSTON

geh, you guys are just as bad as 8BC. although i dont personally LOVE LOVE LOVE IFD, i wish them well on their musical journey and dont believe that their success is in any possible way detrimental to chipmusic. (congrats dudes!)

also @scienceguy: good for you, like what you like and don't give in to the hate!

Last edited by BR1GHT PR1MATE (Apr 29, 2010 11:24 pm)

Newcastle, UK

I'm indifferent either way, I don't hate their music, but I don't love it either.

Then again its about 400bpm too slow and doesn't have any distorted amens in it.