killadelphia

Hey - one suggestion - When you have a volume column please let it change ONLY the volumes of heard TL levels (not the TL of the modulators).  This is a major annoyance in work flow for me with TFM, VGM Music Maker, and Defelmask.  Echo is my bread and butter and having to use an effects column for it (sometimes 2 or 3) is really annoying to keep track of if you are switching volumes.

Last edited by animalstyle (Oct 13, 2014 8:24 pm)

killadelphia

Sorry to triple post lol.  The railing system in playback for the YM2612 is crazy (sort of like the Namco 163 for NSF heads).  Maybe you can set some glitch options to mess with those parameters.  Also - being able to access the SSG-EG in the effects column would be nice too.

joey you should beta test this out with your genesis!

Last edited by an0va (Oct 14, 2014 2:59 am)

Australia
CountSymphoniC wrote:

I haven't thought about doing it that way yet, but now that you mention it. I'm trying to get started on the playback engine figuring out how to do the core timing, the way I'm understanding it, it seems simple to do different grooves per channel and sounds easy to implement. In code, every channel would be updated independently rather than all the channels at once. I'll keep this feature in mind for you my friend.

Yeah - we looked at something like this on the SNES tracker too.  Play rountine logic and "play from position" goes out the window at this point! 

This is a really exciting project :-)  Looks like ultimate fun!  Have you talked to Batsly Adams at all?   I know he's got some amazing inside knowledge of how the Genesis ticks if you need more info.  Also, on a YM level, little-scale is pretty on top of it too (he's giving a presentation at PAX next month about it).

Anyhoo - PM away or hmu on fbook if you want intro's, etc to more Sega dev's.

Keep up the rad work - and don't feel rushed to get builds with the YM-play-routine out until you are happy with it.  *high five*

.... meanwhile... back to the SNES....

cTrix wrote:
CountSymphoniC wrote:

I haven't thought about doing it that way yet, but now that you mention it. I'm trying to get started on the playback engine figuring out how to do the core timing, the way I'm understanding it, it seems simple to do different grooves per channel and sounds easy to implement. In code, every channel would be updated independently rather than all the channels at once. I'll keep this feature in mind for you my friend.

Yeah - we looked at something like this on the SNES tracker too.  Play rountine logic and "play from position" goes out the window at this point! 

This is a really exciting project :-)  Looks like ultimate fun!  Have you talked to Batsly Adams at all?   I know he's got some amazing inside knowledge of how the Genesis ticks if you need more info.  Also, on a YM level, little-scale is pretty on top of it too (he's giving a presentation at PAX next month about it).

Anyhoo - PM away or hmu on fbook if you want intro's, etc to more Sega dev's.

Keep up the rad work - and don't feel rushed to get builds with the YM-play-routine out until you are happy with it.  *high five*

.... meanwhile... back to the SNES....

Now there's someone I can talk to all day long!

I saw your guys' work on your SNES tracker. Very nice work on your end too, it looks like we have the 16 bit era native trackers taken care of my friend! I haven't talked to Batsly Adams. The YM has alot of registers to deal with but nothing too complicated to handle. Just working on the timing core for playback right now. The 16 bit rebirth is coming very soon!

This is amazing! I rarely post but this is a project I was waiting for. I'll try the demo on real hardware tonight. Thanks for your work!

Norfolk, VA

Hey, I have a Model 2 Genesis (NTSC) that I recently refurbished. It's just sitting around in my apartment, chilling.

If you need it to work for PAL region, I can put a switch in it at my job before I mail it for you.

It has original cables, controllers, and whathaveyou. I bought it at MagFest, since it wasn't reading carts (needed a pin alignment). Runs good as new.

Do you want it? Just pay shipping, and I'll mail it to you.

If so, just hit me up (preferably by email).

Regards,
Daria

Last edited by Monkeymook (Oct 14, 2014 7:44 pm)

Monkeymook wrote:

Hey, I have a Model 2 Genesis (NTSC) that I recently refurbished. It's just sitting around in my apartment, chilling.

It has original cables, controllers, and whathaveyou. I bought it at MagFest, since it wasn't reading carts (needed a pin alignment). Runs good as new.

Do you want it? Just pay shipping, and I'll mail it to you.

If so, just hit me up (preferably by email).

Regards,
Daria

Yes. I'll contact you asap.
Edit: Email sent.

Last edited by CountSymphoniC (Oct 14, 2014 8:01 pm)

Michigan

Nice!

Jazzmarazz wrote:

Nice!

I'd say! Now I'll just have to figure out how to get a flash cart. Things were much easier back when I was still employed.

I need to start making a list of people that are going in the "Special Thanks" for when I get the Options Menu coded.

Last edited by CountSymphoniC (Oct 14, 2014 8:54 pm)

Been waiting for this for so long... (not having the skills to make it myself)

animalstyle wrote:

When you have a volume column please let it change ONLY the volumes of heard TL levels (not the TL of the modulators).

There's no such behaviour in VGM Music Maker. The Volume Column only affects the carriers, not the modulators. But I can confirm that Deflemask is designed that way.

Chips & Dip :3

OMG I love LSDJ style trackers I'm so gonna test this out on openemu when I get home :0

The velocity/volume columns have been implemented in code. Both Note Previewing/Prelisten and sequence playback tested with velocity/volume values work perfectly. Since the velocity value has to affect the overall volume of the synth and since that depends on which operator algorithm is used, I had to read which algorithm is in use THEN apply the velocity/volume values to the appropriate operators' Total Level. Let me tell you folks, it was a bit messy to code this one! But you can rest assured that when you enter velocity values, the volume of your instruments will be the only thing affected and won't ruin the tonality of your synth! More progress to come, we're just scratching the surface.

Also, YMDj will come with a set of default FM patches so people who just want to up and away write music without messing with the synth can have fun right from the get go. But it will also come with the ability to import and export FM patches, of which there are thousands already on the internet. Same goes for samples.

Last edited by CountSymphoniC (Oct 17, 2014 11:16 pm)

Shameless bumping of my own thread.

AHEM!
Updated the main post above, check out the playback functionality of YMDj!

Melbourne, Australia

AWH YISSSSSS big_smile