Michigan

>That second to last question
Took me 20 minutes. I still feel like I didn't make the right choice.

Anyway, good luck with your thesis, studioAdam. Hope this info comes in handy.

The solar system .o.

That was fun, good luck!

Leiden

Another form comes your way!

ohgodno, Indiana

didn't get why wondering what people wear to shows matters but ok! lol

Brunswick, GA USA
b4by f4c3 wrote:

Merch opportunities is my guess.

Mannheim, Germany
b4by f4c3 wrote:

probably matters because for many music scenes, it matters. if you went to a gothic metal (or whatever sub-genre likes to play dress-up) show in baggy pants, nike airs and a snapback, you would definitely get some funny looks.

UK, Leicester
Orange Creamsicle wrote:
b4by f4c3 wrote:

probably matters because for many music scenes, it matters. if you went to a gothic metal (or whatever sub-genre likes to play dress-up) show in baggy pants, nike airs and a snapback, you would definitely get some funny looks.

not really, I've seen people wearing snapbacks at indie gigs, at punk gigs, and at metalcore gigs. I don't think clothing really matters anymore

Mannheim, Germany
Alpine wrote:
Orange Creamsicle wrote:

not really, I've seen people wearing snapbacks at indie gigs, at punk gigs, and at metalcore gigs. I don't think clothing really matters anymore

i believe that varies a lot between areas and subscenes; in any case, its at least valuable for the sake of being complete. also, snapbacks alone dont make a stereotypical hiphop outfit - its the ensemble that makes it. its like the difference between wearing a black shirt + blue jeans and wearing a full-on metal scene outfit, including weird black pants with miscalleneous straps (ive seen some wtf stuff), spiked wrist bands and some kind of panda makeup.

IL, US

those pants are bondage pants, and far from exclusive to metal scenes...

Mannheim, Germany
e.s.c. wrote:

those pants are bondage pants, and far from exclusive to metal scenes...

perhaps not exclusive, but the point im making is that you only see them in certain scenes, its not normal streetwear.
also, its less about determining what get-up would make people throw you out of the location, and more about finding out IF there is any style (or plurality of styles) that is common for the scene. probably.

UK, Leicester
Orange Creamsicle wrote:
Alpine wrote:

i believe that varies a lot between areas and subscenes; in any case, its at least valuable for the sake of being complete. also, snapbacks alone dont make a stereotypical hiphop outfit - its the ensemble that makes it. its like the difference between wearing a black shirt + blue jeans and wearing a full-on metal scene outfit, including weird black pants with miscalleneous straps (ive seen some wtf stuff), spiked wrist bands and some kind of panda makeup.

I don't just mean snapbacks, I mean hip hop/skater clothing. There's a fair amount of crossover in most scenes tbh

NC in the US of America

Oh come on you guys, stop acting like you really don't get it, lol. The fact that you acknowledge crossover exists means that obviously there is at least a little bit of significance to clothing, even if it doesn't "really matter" that much. Nobody is going to

Clothes matter in some way, no matter how "enlightened" you as an individual are. Clothes still matter in some way or another. The crowd ain't going to snub you for not dressing in Class A uniform, but that doesn't mean the uniform doesn't mean anything at all to anybody.

This is a study. Ask all the questions you can.

IL, US

theres a uniform? no one told me

Mannheim, Germany
e.s.c. wrote:

neon-orange west, assless chaps and eskimo sunglasses. get with the program!

NC in the US of America
e.s.c. wrote:

Hypothetical. Metaphorical. Bleh. I wasn't even referring to chipmusic "scene". Just "scenes" with traditionally distinctive clothing articles involved, e.g. dude ranch scene, corporate scene, homeless scene, farmer scene, cyber goth scene, etc..

If the guy is trying to figure out what's what, clothing, whether you like it or not, is something that should at least be taken into account, even if to simply determine that it doesn't matter. Clothes have a deep history of being significant, after all. Can't deny such a rich heritage of mattering.

Last edited by SketchMan3 (Nov 4, 2014 10:20 pm)

Last edited by Crashmast (Apr 5, 2023 10:33 am)