Lazerbeat wrote:

Hmm Hmm, what is "operator 0 envelope?"

It means no envelope. In the future when I implement drawing of envelopes I want that to draw the operator envelope that's currently being edited.

No worries on the algorithm and envelope drawing guys. I want to get more sound stuff out of the way before I do that. Also, once I start working on Groove I'm also adding in the Options Menu, tempo control and palette editing.

Michigan
Jansaw wrote:

out of curiosity, how can Prodigy Tracker be compatible with Defflemask workflow if the tracker is not compatible with everdrive/something similar (as mentioned above)? Unless the cart you plan to sell can be flashed somehow. I probably sound like a dufus, and there may be a simple answer. Just a thought I had today based on the limited knowledge I currently have on this stuff.

ps: I'm ridiculously excited for this. Been craving a native genesis tracker for performance application for a while now.

Yes, the carts I have designed are fully reflashable with future updates and with other ROM images that you might want to play, though this means I need to design a USB flasher similar to Altane but for the Genesis/MD. I have the hardware for this designed on the PC and am starting on the microcontroller code today.

Other commercially available readers like the retrode will allow for you to back up your save file, but only mine will allow for users to rewrite the ROM image without modification.

Jelly Stone park, MD USA
CountSymphoniC wrote:
JaffaCakeMexica wrote:

Will it have true BPM like LGPT or framerate based "speed"?

Only if I can get it to work. Even if I do get it to work, the fact of the matter is that BPM calculations on consoles like this aren't 100% accurate. There's a chance that the BPM on the tracker would be ever so slightly mismatched with the BPM of your favorite DAW  or other trackers. There's little that can be done about it if this is the case. But we'll see very soon, I might be able to find a way to avoid the accuracy issue that plagues other retro trackers.

How about a slave sync mode? Just 24 ppqn in one of the controller buttons could lock play back to a ext master clock.
Yogi

San Francisco

diz iz kewl L-TRON turned me on to the fact it's real :>

the synth menu looks so intuitive. Feel like I'm learning so much watching that vid. Good stuff, man. So many small questions I want to ask but I'll save them until you're further along.

double post action. oops

p.s. waddup, starpawz!

Last edited by L-tron (Nov 11, 2014 7:08 am)

Canada

Out of curiosity (again), is there a specific reason for notes C and F having sharps, and E, A, B having flats? Other than forcing people to get used to reading both sharps and flats when spelling/building chords, etc., would it be necessary to mix the two? Not gunna lie, I was all "oh, cool, flats!", but it's kind of an interesting choice to mix the two. Unless you're assuming people will always either write in G+, D+, F+, Bb+, or Eb+ tongue
This might also just be the nitpicky musician in me. I was always taught to stick with one or the other when writing. Thought I'd ask your thought process:)

Last edited by Jansaw (Nov 12, 2014 2:43 am)

I have a strong ear in the realm of music theory and write more advanced jazz/classically influenced chip and metal. When I compose, I hear notes/chords/arps/scales/harmonies in my head. The note names could be gibberish symbols and I could still write perfectly because I compose by ear, but I can't always associate note names/flats/sharps with it's actual pitch. So the choice in mixing the two is for the sake of variety and novelty. I kind of got bored looking at LSDj's pure sharps and I thought looking at nothing but flats would also be dull, so I simply thought it would be fun to mix the two! smile

In all technicality though,  Eb, Ab, and Bb are exactly the same as D#, G#, and A#.

Canada

Cool! Was just wondering:) I totally understand the enharmonic spelling of notes. It's for that reason that I thought it might be awkward for someone (maybe it's just me) writing an Gb major chord with F# as its root, but this has always been the case with LSDJ, as you mentioned. It'd be sweet, in my humble opinion, one day to have a tracker with the option to write enharmonic spellings (F# or Gb).

Don't get me wrong, I love that there's variety here! Keep up the great work... I'm so excited for the many hours I'll spend on my genesis tracking music:)

Jansaw wrote:

Cool! Was just wondering:) I totally understand the enharmonic spelling of notes. It's for that reason that I thought it might be awkward for someone (maybe it's just me) writing an Gb major chord with F# as its root, but this has always been the case with LSDJ, as you mentioned. It'd be sweet, in my humble opinion, one day to have a tracker with the option to write enharmonic spellings (F# or Gb).

Don't get me wrong, I love that there's variety here! Keep up the great work... I'm so excited for the many hours I'll spend on my genesis tracking music:)

I want this to be a powerful tracker. I'm not going to lie, it would be difficult to change it because of the way I have note digits hard coded, (which I'm starting to find out for reasons other than what you're mentioning) is very non intuitive especially for RAM usage. But maybe sometime in the future when I get the bulk of the sound driver done I can look into adding customization for this sort of thing in the options menu.

Basically it's not efficient code and I want to change it. So when I get to doing that (more than likely it will be when RAM usage is maxed out and I need more space) I will also add customization for note spelling.

Canada

Looking forward to all the development!
Also, I just donated. Thought I'd get behind this awesome FM project as much as I can. Keep it up

Quick question on something that was brought up over at OC Remix, does anyone think being able to import .MID files into the ROM would be something useful to have?

Last edited by CountSymphoniC (Nov 13, 2014 1:27 am)

Michigan
CountSymphoniC wrote:

Quick question on something that was brought up over at OC Remix, does anyone think being able to import .MID files into the ROM would be something useful to have?

Don't let everyone get too excited. I think it would be awesome, but would require some hefty PC-side code to convert the MID file into a SAV file or at least to edit in a new song file to the main save file.

Last edited by Jazzmarazz (Nov 13, 2014 2:07 am)

Buenos Aires, Argentina

It is a heavy task to be done in the Genesis, if Defle and Prodigy will be compatible, you can use this:
MIDI 2 DefleMask
So a good way could be: MIDI -> Defle -> DMF -> Prodigy.

Canada
Delek wrote:

It is a heavy task to be done in the Genesis, if Defle and Prodigy will be compatible, you can use this:
MIDI 2 DefleMask
So a good way could be: MIDI -> Defle -> DMF -> Prodigy.

This would be cool with me. Just having the option to import dmf's would be awesome.

Absolutely, Deflemask compatibility is still in the agenda.
Thank you Delek for the link to that MIDI to .dmf converter, I would have never known it existed otherwise.