Dallas, Texas

Greetings fellow chip aficionados. I'm here with an announcement.

I have programmed the well known and catchy tune known as "Nyan Cat" using ppmck, and I've created an NES rom that will play from a physical NES cartridge.

Which brings me to my feature. If anyone is interested in a truly native NyanCat NES Cartridge please visit www.nyancart.com to view the demo and purchase a cartridge.

detroit

so this cart is just the one song and a still image ?

Dallas, Texas

Correct.

Minneapolis, MN

Its a sick jam without question!

Why would anyone pay $45 for 1 song and a still image on a game cart?

Dallas, Texas

The entire cost is from actually producing the carts. The number of songs has no bearing on the how much I pay and work that goes into producing a physical cart.

Also what would you recommend as a fair price? I've never released a cart before and if you have any tips I'm open for suggestions.

Last edited by TylerBarnes (Nov 13, 2014 4:19 am)

I would at least expect the .gif or something. I don't know how hard that would be to code into an NES rom i guess.

A fair price? I don't know. I know the cost of making a cart isn't very cheap and takes plenty of labor, but all of the cart releases I know of were entire albums not a single song. Vegavox series, Bitpuritans' 2a03 puritans, Teletime, and Freezedream had an excellent genesis/md release.

Not sure what the majority of those were originally priced, but Bitpuritans still sell 2a03 Puritans for $35. That seems more than fair for a huge compilation.

I guess this is a tricky case and I feel like it's just a ploy to grab money from the "geeky" crowd.

Sweeeeeeden

At least have someone program a bit of animation into the ROM (unless you can do it yourself.) I want to see a rainbow and the cat moving up down, as well as stars animating. I mean, a nyancat without a rainbow?? You could always ask here. I'm sure someone there would be willing to help you.

http://forums.nesdev.com/index.php

Dallas, Texas

Difinitely not a ploy. Forgive me if it looks like that on the surface. I'm just ignorant I suppose hmm

Now, my initial intention was to merely find an existing NES cover that would play natively on the NES, but sadly I was unable to find a quality rendition that would also play on real hardware. I then made it a goal to make one myself. Then figured more people might want one too, hence the cart release.

Teletime and vegavox were $50+ and BitPuritans is prolly a special case cause they rolled their own circuit boards.

And yeah, 6502 assembly code is pretty damn tough. I fall really short in that regard. Some major tricks would have to be pulled out in order to get more colors and animation to be displayed on screen, especially using Mapper 0

Dallas, Texas

Yeah I used up my entire background pallet up on the cat and poptart. I don't know how to use more pallets simultaneously. or how to animate nam tables

Michigan

All it will take is  for you to shrink the cat substantially, that way you can get back a lot of your CHR ROM for adding the rainbow and stars. Motion will not be too difficult and when you want to "roll your own" cart, contact me.

Dallas, Texas

no. my entire chr rom is blank apart from 4 completely filled values representing the 4 possible color pallets.

Take a look at my CHR. I only use 4 locations and draw the image at the nam level.
The problem lays in the color and pallet limitation of the NES

There are many rules the NES will force upon you regarding number of colors and regions of colors.
For instance the background color must be present in the first slot of all 4 of your pallets. Only 1 color pallet (4 colors total) may be used per 8x8 square of CHR. In the NAM table clusters of 2x2 must all use the same color pallet (this is why you see a pink pixel inside the cat's face) I actually used a sprite to cover that up in the final rom

This all means I get 13 colors total on screen allowed amongst all these various rules to work around. It's a bit depressing to here such rejection when I've worked very hard to produce this to the best of my ability on my own. Sure, I get the price is too much. But essentially hearing that without all these animation and unrealisting color criteria that my work is completely undesired and worthless. My main efforts was the music, and I added the graphic to the best of my abilities.

Again, if you have a suggestion on a more realistic price point, I am happy to oblige. I'll work on getting the nam tables to animate, but seriously guys, the rainbow is a far tougher fix than you think it is.

Last edited by TylerBarnes (Nov 13, 2014 5:42 am)

hardcore, Australia

deleted

Last edited by godinpants (May 14, 2020 10:36 pm)

Dallas, Texas

Thank you...
I've definitely come across that demo before.

And I'm happy to take all advice. All of which so far has been "we want this instead". Which again, thats fine, I'm just attempting to communicate the actual issues with providing you with those things.

I don't make code (very well), I make music. I didn't want a nyan cat cart that sounded like a tigergames console, so I buckled down to make a quality nsf. I wanted to share that creation in a fun and novel format with anyone who also felt the same.

I'm grateful for all the feedback, really.

TSSBAY01

i hope you dont feel discouraged, i mean in a time where cash in general is such an uber tight thing for everybody, the pricepoint of any carts in general is a tough sell because for all those years that we were basically spoiled on those games we got. and it absolutely sucks that the cost to make games physically like this is at that point. i would say the best advice is to just make a batch or 10 or so, and put em online. you will sell em of course over time. but its unfortunately, and in no way a reflection of your work, such a niche thing that down the line if you dont end up selling more than X, that its gonna be a super rare/valuable thing and nes collectors and chiptuners and all sorts of people will want one just due to that. look at the prices for garage cart nowadays. memblers did it for the love of wantin to make it too, just like you did with nyan cart. so dont let anything dissuade you if you put the quality and the love into it.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Memblers-Garage … 1461101054

Dallas, Texas

Thank you for the encouragement.
I've desoldered enough NROMs and bought enough labels to produce 25 of these carts. though I don't burn the EPROMs or assemble the carts till I've sold it. So, it's ok if I don't sell as many as expected. I'll be using the remainder for a different cart release. (lol I can already hear you. That one will be full length I assure you)

Last edited by TylerBarnes (Nov 13, 2014 7:21 am)