IL, US
JodyBigfoot wrote:

sorry mate thought you were telling me to quit the bit

anyway.

Looking at what the pissbox does it seems that it can be done just as easily on a DAW except not live. and I wouldnt be able to use it live as I need to use stereo channels for dubbing

you could look into a more serious piece of hardware with a noise gate then... something like this http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/ … aQodVncABw

Gosford, Australia

i don't get why you're asking if not for live purposes

fwiw i don't use a prosounded gb and a software noise gate works a treat (not a "noise cancellation" process, just a simple gate). i also notch out the 9.25K overtone with a parametric EQ.

Sweeeeeeden
Victory Road wrote:

fwiw i don't use a prosounded gb and a software noise gate works a treat (not a "noise cancellation" process, just a simple gate). i also notch out the 9.25K overtone with a parametric EQ.

Now that you mentioned it, I thought of the idea to calculate an exact value. I ended up with about 9198 Hz. The LCD refresh rate is very close to 59.7275 Hz. That comes from 4194304/70224, the CPU clock frequency divided by the number of cycles it takes for one screen refresh to be performed. Then multiply that by 154, the number of "virtual" vertical lines on the LCD, 144 lines + the equivalent of 10 lines in the vertical blanking period. And nevertheless, the empirical value I'm getting from recording a DMG is clearly situated a bit above 9.2 kHz. Hmm!

Unsubscribe

fwiw ive run my gameboy through a line 6 m5 pedal which comes with a noise gate and it sounds pretty good.

Victory Road wrote:

curiosity mostly. I am yet to test my DMG tunes on a big soundsystem but im confident from the gameboy the bass im making will drown it out, and once I have tested it on big soundsystem I will weigh up the three options of using studio edited versions live, dealing with the noise or live noise cancelation

Dallas, Texas

Can't you just use a gate with a threshold only high enough to kill the hum and nothing else? It's really not even that bad. Just be glad your not playin' with Commodores or something. Those things have quite the hum tongue

I've played a fair number of shows with my Gameboys. Both straight to PA and through my little mixer and then to PA. You can't hear the hum, just EQ your music a little bump the bass lower the highs and it seems to cut it out. Any other humming can just be put down to standard PA feedback.

Most PA's are going to have a Di box that is going to eliminate most of that kinda carry on anyway aint they?

Brighton

They'll kill a ground loop hum, but not this as it's a noise not being caused by earthing.

Good to know