San Francisco

So i was thinking about what would be my ultimate lusty program dev projects for chip music.... i mean what would really be the most awesome chip dev for chip music production.

I thought i would ask all of you What would be your ultimate fantasy dreams for making chip music.
Post your guys thoughts and maybe some programing / homebrewing genius might see it and take up the project if it interests them.

Right now I have been playing alot with mega drive music and wish there was some kinda tracker program that was made for the psp that could be used for this..... and .bin export would be sweet. man.... so tasty.... that would be my fantasy creation.... whats your?

Rochester, NY

dual SID chips and DMG CPU in one box (with four outputs), controlled by a dedicated tracker interface.

Melbourne, Australia

A tracker for TI calculators.

thieveland ohio

a reason like program for nintendo...trackers are nice but sometimes you just want a piano roll

uhajdafdfdfa

I guess it would be Schism tracker with Buzz colour scheme, better handling in full-screen, a nicer font, 24-bit sample imports, sample drawing, and some minor tweaks to the block selection and space-repeat stuff.

Liverpool, UK

A direct brain to .wav device

▐▐▌▌▐▌▌█▐ ▐▐▌▌▐▌▌█▐ ▐▐▌▌▐▌▌█▐
node wrote:

a reason like program for NES ...trackers are nice but sometimes you just want a piano roll

this, with multi device midi sync (e.g. i got 2 DMGs and a nintendo!)

Earthling

Mine would be a native Megadrive tracker with midi port built into the cartridge for midi sync/control. Maybe even with computer keyboard support too

Unsubscribe

a chip file format dj application with mutilple outputs and tempo control available as a vst.

Russia, Moscow
wedanced wrote:

Post your guys thoughts and maybe some programing / homebrewing genius might see it and take up the project if it interests them.

It actually sounds like 'I'll sit doing nothing and waiting when someone else make my dream real'. Not very effective, and not motivating for the someone.

Unsubscribe

Yea but maybe someone has the idea and is not sure if anyone will use it? Not everyone can be a developer.

London, UK
herr_prof wrote:

a chip file format dj application with mutilple outputs and tempo control available as a vst.

Wasn't Syphus working on something along these lines? Not a VST though, think it was in Processing...

I'd love a MOD/XM player for PSP with channel muting/soloing and a pattern sequencer (not pattern editor!) that can be shuffled and reordered on the fly. Basically, write patterns and loops in Milkytracker then jam them out live. Would be heaven! smile

Toronto, Ontario, Canada

I love to have a hadheld device that was built and optimized specifically for tracking.  To sweeten the deal it would have a modular soundchip design.  Want a SID chip?  Plug in your SID cart.  Want to do some YM tunes?  Plug in the YM cart.  Link them together for multiple sound chips.

New York City
matt.nida wrote:
herr_prof wrote:

Wasn't Syphus working on something along these lines? Not a VST though, think it was in Processing...

Yeah but only for MOD.

I'll step up the game of Peter.

I want a tool like STJ but for the Amiga, that runs any mod that a Delitracker/Eagleplayer replayer can load.

Wellington, NZ

Logic pro 9, on my gameboy.

philly

I would love for there to a be a nice PC based tracker for the Game Boy. If Paragon 5 had the interface and user-friendliness of Famitracker I would be in love. I'll cave in on LSDJ eventually I'm sure, but I don't care about portability and live manipulation. I would be happy to export a .gbs file and simply run it on the game boy. Mouse + click 'n drag instrument editors = heart

In a far less likely world, I'd like to see musician-tools made for some of the more obscure platforms. The virtual boy has a pretty interesting sound set, and it was certainly never worked to its potential -
http://www.planetvb.com/modules/dokuwik … o_overview

Virtual Boy Audio:
Channels 1-4 are identical wave-table synthesis channels.
---Uses one of five 6-bit x 32 sample PCM data tables.
---Independent left and right volume levels
---Envelope function (ramp volume up or down over time)
---76.294 Hz to 156.250 KHz playback frequency range
---The sound interval can be specified.
Channel 5 consists of a standard wave-table channel, plus sweep and modulation functions.
---The basic function is identical to that of channels 1-4 above.
---The sweep function increases or decreases the playback frequency over time (for pitch-bending effects).
---The modulation function modifies the playback frequency according to a table of 32 8-bit values (for tremolo and similar effects).
Channel 6 uses a PRNG to make noise.
---Based on an LFSR3)
---The frequency of the shift-register is selectable within the 244.14 Hz to 500.00 KHz range.
---The feedback taps on the shift-register can also be selected from a set of eight configurations.
---Includes envelope, interval, and left and right sound level functions

It seems to primarily work on a wavetable synthesis that's halfway between the quality / resolution of the game boy (at the lower end) and the FDS channel (the higher end). The first 4 channels sound pretty limited compared to the 5th , but something tells me that just because the first 4 don't have hardware sweeps and modulation available, doesn't mean they can't be done software-style. It actually took me some digging just to find these specs, since most sites (including wikipedia) usually list only what the box / ad said "16-bit stereo", which of course doesn't mean anything. This is a sound I'd love to tinker with...

The Sega Pico is another pretty interesting device. In terms of audio, it's basically a Sega Master System with an additional "custom PCM" chip. Whatever the exact capabilities of that PCM chip are I have no idea (quality, # of channels, etc). Visually, it's the same as the Megadrive / Genesis. What could be pretty cool about a musical program for this system is its interface-

The video is a bit long, but if you watch it you can probably get the same idea that I had. A music software "book".

Anyways, those are just some of the random things I've fantasized about. Hahah. smile