BTW, I'm currently in the mood for adding (simple) stuff in the wavetable toolbox, such as remove DC offset etc. that are handy when e.g. wavegen creates an otherwise nice wave but it's not centered. Any more useful ideas?

Quebec, Canada

I would like to see a pulse width modifier for the wavetable like in chipsounds smile and have a command that controls it !!!

Here is the example of what talking about : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uNFUlcEwYEs

Montreal, Canada

There's already a pulse with modifiable duty cycle in the synth engine.

You can also do PWM effects with the EXP setting on a SQR wave in the wave generator.

A lot of the effects in the video you linked have nothing to do with PWM though, a lot of them are sync effects (which you can also do in klystrack with the sync setting)

Aaaaand there's the bit crusher if you really want to get that awful 4bit NES bass sound so many people are fond of.

Quebec, Canada
n00bstar wrote:

There's already a pulse with modifiable duty cycle in the synth engine.

You can also do PWM effects with the EXP setting on a SQR wave in the wave generator.

A lot of the effects in the video you linked have nothing to do with PWM though, a lot of them are sync effects (which you can also do in klystrack with the sync setting)

Aaaaand there's the bit crusher if you really want to get that awful 4bit NES bass sound so many people are fond of.

I know pwm its not the right term for this and this but i was pointing out the feature that chipsounds call it like tongue

Since you say that most of it its possible by sync setting i will check that !! A simple sync tutorial could be handy tongue hope internet will help me on this !! Thanks N00bstar

Last edited by qitano (Jan 13, 2015 5:47 am)

Yeah that kind of morphing stuff is a bit hard to do with the current wave system and apart from the thing that sort of adds silence after the one cycle of sine wave, making it sound almost like a voice, indeed at least sounds like what you can do with sync. Maybe it doesn't technically do exactly that but it has the same qualities.

You should check n00bstar's klystrack albums, I think both of them have at least one good example with a sync lead all over the song.

How to create that sound is of course not that obvious, but how it work goes like this: two instruments, the first being the carrier and the second being the modulator. The second is usually set to zero volume or have all the waveform shapes disabled (this effect only uses the oscillator phase to determine when to chop the carrier wave). Then, enable [x] SYNC in the first instrument and set the source channel to the channel you have the modulator instrument. Then, make a silly melody with the first instrument (this can be on any channel but the modulator source channel). Copy the melody to the second channel and change the instrument to the modulator. Now the fun part starts: try detuning the modulator either using the fine tune (creates a static non-changing sync effect) or adding pitch bends and slides to the modulator melody.

Also, to create 4-bit awfulness you can also create a simple triangle wave in the wavegen, generate it, and then use the "drop lowest bit" tool until you get enough aliasing for your tastes. The NES wave is something like 64 samples long, so use that setting in the wavegen. Disable interpolation for the wavetable item for even more sharp edges.

P.S. I did like the part where chipsounds started to sound like a cheap speech synth and that is something I would like to do if it's easy enough. Something like creating vowels in the wavegen. Realtime morphing would be tops though.

São Paulo, Brazil

Hi folks,

I tried to install Kystrack yesterday on my notebook but it crashes right after it's launched.

I tried the nightly built and "official" versions and the same problem happens on both of them. I'm using Windows 8.1, 64bit.

Any help is appreciated!

São Paulo, Brazil

ops, double post.

Last edited by PULSELOOPER (Jan 30, 2015 1:57 pm)

Does it create a stderr.txt/stdout.txt file in the directory where the .exe is? One of those might contain some information about why it crashes.

São Paulo, Brazil
kometbomb wrote:

Does it create a stderr.txt/stdout.txt file in the directory where the .exe is? One of those might contain some information about why it crashes.

Thanks man, in the end all of a sudden it started to work fine.

But one thing that's pissing me off is that when I'm using it at my work's mac computer, I just can't inset any pattern on the sequence list. Just click on the top screen, enter a number and nothing happens like it does on my PC/Windows.

You're welcome! Glad that I could help. smile

Seriously, though, if it crashes again try to look for those files and post the info. It might say something like "could not open xxxx" (permissions issue?) or the audio driver could not be opened etc.

That pattern entering bug I think was fixed in a fairly recent build, the OSX build is lagging a bit behind.

São Paulo, Brazil
kometbomb wrote:

That pattern entering bug I think was fixed in a fairly recent build, the OSX build is lagging a bit behind.

Good to hear. In any case, I´m using it mostly on Windows. The mac version is only for spending some lazy moments at work. Thanks for the help!

Perhaps you already know about this:

So far, I have found that:

• SID has much better volume envelopes

• Rob Hubbard achieves much more with his super simple routine than I ever could with my spaghetti code

São Paulo, Brazil

this is awesome.

Montreal, Canada

Rob Hubbard is waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay the hell up there in the pantheon of chip gods.

Speaking of enveloppes... I've come across a tiny bit of a problem with the FM ADSR. Traditionally, FM uses two parameters for each stage of an enveloppe. At first I didn't think it would make such a huge difference, but after playing with FM a *lot*, I've found that it really is necessary to have the two parameters. Usually it goes: Attack Time, Attack Level, Decay Time, Decay Level and so on.

There are so many classic FM sounds that are impossible to achieve in Klystrack because of the simple ADSR. At least just a Level parameter on Attack. That would reaaaaally open up possibilities.

Tokyo, Japan
n00bstar wrote:

There are so many classic FM sounds that are impossible to achieve in Klystrack because of the simple ADSR. At least just a Level parameter on Attack. That would reaaaaally open up possibilities.

Testify brother!

japan rice fields

coooool this tracker is awesome big_smile

btw, can you support .hvl yikes?