FlashHeart

Hey everybody, I'm posting this in software because its the only place it made sense to put a non-vintage multi-platform tracker.

A question for other victims of swine flu:

I've been using lots of orchestral samples lately and there's a click when triggered and when it ends. I've used a volm0100 command at the end and the opposite at the beginning of each one to get rid of it, but sometimes that doesn't entirely work. Can anyone think of another way to do this without going into the samples themselves and editing them? I've got a huge orchestral library and that would take me ages.

Unsubscribe

Its zero crossing. Basically your waform is cutting off the sample at a point before it reaches the zero point, creating a click,

You either need to do the volm command earlier, or handle your loop points better.

The latest ghettos have soundfont support, which means if you find a good orch soundfont and load that, the loop points are already in there.. NEAT!

uhajdafdfdfa

I've found Piggy to be pretty clicky too, but I find it rather endearing. smile

Maybe if there is any silence at the end of the sample, you could set that to loop (so the sample never ends)... that might get rid of the click at the end, I don't know, maybe not.

Piggy Tracker in general is very nice, I hated it on Windows, but since there's nothing better for PSP, I've forced myself to use it, and now I'm used to it, I think it's great. The portability is wonderful.

Edit: herr_prof, soundfonts on all platforms, or just PC?

Last edited by ant1 (Jan 8, 2010 4:06 pm)

Unsubscribe

im using it on windows and dingoo. Havent tried it elsewhere.

BTW thats .SF2. None of the newer sf2 support, and it doesnt support filters, just drum maps and loop points.

Last edited by herr_prof (Jan 8, 2010 4:08 pm)

New York City

There's two possible probelms here.
What Natty describes is probably improper sample creation. Make them properly as Peter explained.

What ant describe's: if it clicks a lot you may be overloading the sample buffer.
Welcome to proper channel mixage technique. The thing is clipping and it's very sensitive. I asked for a channel mixer section to be available for making mixing easier, was this ever implemented, Peter?

Unsubscribe

Nope!

btw:

http://www.hammersound.net/cgi-bin/soundlink.pl

Currently you have to manually copy the sf2 into your projects sample folder. Each instrument will be automatically assigned to a piggy instrument.

Last edited by herr_prof (Jan 8, 2010 4:25 pm)

Milwaukee, Wisconsin USA

I love the fact that you can actually clip within piggy... although it can get a bit crazy sometimes.
Def. forces you to be mindful of your mix all the time.

New York City

It's very sensitive and many times I don't want it. I'm quite mix conscious and even then, I get unwanted clicks many times, because per-instrument sort of static level control is not very user-friendly.
For those used to working with shitboys, this is a whole new world, and actually forces you to learn how to produce music tongue

Unsubscribe

And of course you cna always render and mix in a daw if you want perfection big_smile

Brazil

Thanks professor. I was looking for something like that yesterday. That makes piggying much more easier and fun.

Looping is a bitch almost all the time, mostly to me because I can't see the waveform. In milkytracker I'm able to do proper looping, sometimes it works, but i never made it loop good in lgpt...

New York City
herr_prof wrote:

And of course you cna always render and mix in a daw if you want perfection big_smile

Some times I found channel clipping an issue. Even only one channel will clip. So with LGPT, this wouldn't fix this.

Subway Sonicbeat wrote:

Looping is a bitch almost all the time, mostly to me because I can't see the waveform.

Hpow can you not see it?
You should PREPARE yoru samples in an audio editing soft prior to using, unless yo uare lifting them from somewhere.

Then, even if you didn't see the waveform use your ears and try the sample offset settings! You have to hit home some time unless you are deaf and useless tongue

Brazil

Hahahaha yeah, I'm getting my samples from others. Usually I stick to simple waveforms, cause it makes easier to tune. And even when I'm ready to listen and find the loop point, most of the time it gets clicky. So maybe I'm useless, sure not deaf hehehe

New York City
Subway Sonicbeat wrote:

Hahahaha yeah, I'm getting my samples from others.

Then stop getting useless samples. I can't understand how people can put up samples that are not even properly cut and looped (specially waveforms).
Take the samples you download, throw them in a sound editor (my preference is Soundforge, I use Wavelab sometimes but I don't like it that much) and make them proper. When you are trained, you manage to recognize loop points by sight, usually two clicks gets you on the righht looping point.

Last edited by akira^8GB (Jan 8, 2010 5:21 pm)

Milwaukee, Wisconsin USA

Although making your own samples should allow for easier tuning issues between samples.

I.e. i typically sample C on each octave across keyboards i like..
not that every keyboards C is going to be in tune with every other keyboard.. but fresh batteries helps too! smile

London, UK

My absolute number one dream feature for LGPT would be configurable NNA options ala Renoise or (I think) ImpulseTracker. Would make working with pad/orchestral sounds a LOT more straightforward.

I'm getting the best results making beat/melody loops in Renoise then exporting to WAV and cutting up in Piggy Tracker. Best of all worlds!

uhajdafdfdfa
matt.nida wrote:

My absolute number one dream feature for LGPT would be configurable NNA options ala Renoise or (I think) ImpulseTracker. Would make working with pad/orchestral sounds a LOT more straightforward.

Yeah, that would be great!