Joliette, QC, Canada

I'm relistening Misfitchris - Famicom Sessions after all these years and I forgot how great this song is !!! Totally in my favorite of all time !!!

Last edited by XyNo (Apr 19, 2016 3:16 am)

NC in the US of America

Fearofdark's mario paint cover of the chorus of Outkast's "Hey Ya"

Last edited by SketchMan3 (Apr 19, 2016 8:20 am)

Joliette, QC, Canada

Madison, Alabama
XyNo wrote:

I'm relistening Misfitchris - Famicom Sessions...

Excellent taste! I've always loved Saving the Shy Librarian.

It's simple but charming and lovely.

UK
Imaginary wrote:
PROTODOME wrote:

I like C major. It's a good key.

Cmaj takes a lot of heat in the chip community doesn't it? It seems like a lot of people find it bland and amateurish or something. I've always been a fan.

Seeing as key is completely irrelevant, only movement between them matters, it makes no sense.

Finland
PROTODOME wrote:

Seeing as key is completely irrelevant, only movement between them matters, it makes no sense.

Exactly, every note legato, every note the same length or evenly divided, every note followed by the closest note that is also in that scale or completely random note in that scale. THAT, is where the noob sound comes from.. Very important to know where the noobishness comes from and it sure as arse is not from a specific scale.

Whateverville, California
my.Explosion wrote:
PROTODOME wrote:

Exactly, every note legato, every note the same length or evenly divided, every note followed by the closest note that is also in that scale or completely random note in that scale. THAT, is where the noob sound comes from.. Very important to know where the noobishness comes from and it sure as arse is not from a specific scale.

Haha, yup, add basic instrument creation and little to no volume control/dynamics and you've got just about every "my first chiptune" song ever. Most of my early tracking attempts hit all these hallmarks right on the money. It's hard not to be excited just to be making something at that stage.

Lake Titicaca

"Seeing as key is completely irrelevant, only movement between them matters, it makes no sense." - protodome

Are you seriously suggesting that the key of a piece does not matter at all, and that only key changes are important?

I urge you to go and listen to:

B Harmonic minor (B, C#, D, E, F#, G, A)

E Diminished (E, F#, G, A, A#, C, C#, D#)

A Pentatonic Major (A, B, C#, E, F#)

C Hirajoshi (C, E, F#, G, B)

compare them. Can you understand how the feeling they create is completely different?

San Diego, CA
JaffaCakeMexica wrote:

Are you seriously suggesting that the key of a piece does not matter at all, and that only key changes are important?

compare them. Can you understand how the feeling they create is completely different?

yeah but like do you understand that in a thread in which everyone is sharing chipmusic they /like/ you came in and started telling people that the songs that they like are bad

and your arguments for why they were bad were literally "they sound like eurodisco" and "they were in c major"

so for you to claim some sort of intellectual high ground based on a key signature is a teeny bit disingenuous don't you think?

the entire soundtrack of red dead redemption was written in a minor at 130 bpm so they could layer instrument parts on top of each other seamlessly and naturally

but it's also an amazing soundtrack? and my reasoning for thinking so is more complicated than "a minor" and "sounds like morricone"

just saying

Lake Titicaca

So you are passionately defending eurodisco and C Major?

San Diego, CA
JaffaCakeMexica wrote:

So you are passionately defending eurodisco and C Major?

bro if THAT'S what you're taking away from my post I don't know what to tell you

Lake Titicaca

Bro, I heard you dont have the right not to be offended.

San Diego, CA

what

Brighton/Southampton

Speaking of Misfitchris, my favourite song of his seems to be almost nowhere on the internet (I did manage to obtain an mp3 of it... somehow tho). It was called "Summoning the Golden Age."

As for all-time fave..... uhhh.... idk it changes from time to time.
I guess if I had to pick just one to be considered "the greatest fave of all time" it'd probably be "Love is Insecurable" by Chibi-tech. It's the closest thing to the 'perfect chiptune' I think I'll ever hear.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K8C8vGRlxZM

Also C major doesn't have to just be white notes.

Last edited by Fearofdark (Apr 21, 2016 8:34 pm)

UK
JaffaCakeMexica wrote:

"Seeing as key is completely irrelevant, only movement between them matters, it makes no sense." - protodome

I urge you to go and listen to:

B Harmonic minor (B, C#, D, E, F#, G, A)

E Diminished (E, F#, G, A, A#, C, C#, D#)

A Pentatonic Major (A, B, C#, E, F#)

C Hirajoshi (C, E, F#, G, B)

Dude, key =/= scale.

Okay, so the passage: C6/9 | C13 | Fmaj9#11 | Bb11 || is emphatically in C major, however requires a few different scales.

C6/9: C major, C lydian (<-- this'll sound cool), or C major pent, whichever you want.

C13: C mixolydian / G dorian (you can treat this as a Gmin7).

Fmaj9#11: F lydian / F major pent.

Bb11: F dorian / F minor pent / Bb lydian (Bb11 is performing the role of an Fm13/Bb).

You can use other scales here (to better effect), it's an example.

Just because the scale changes, it doesn’t mean the key has shifted. All keys are exactly the same, it’s the intervals between them (and respective harmonic modulations) that matter.

Now, my other point, you've probably noticed F lydian uses the same notes as C Ionian (Major). There's no real difference between a funk jam in Dm (D dorian) and a pop track in C (C ionian) as both are built on the same scale. It's where you start, the underlying harmonics and melodic emphases that dictate the scale's relationship to the key.

tldr Using C major doesn't reflect on a composer's skill whatsoever.

Brighton/Southampton
SketchMan3 wrote:

Fearofdark's mario paint cover of the chorus of Outkast's "Hey Ya"

haha, I completely forgot I made that