Lake Titicaca
Fearofdark wrote:

Also C major doesn't have to just be white notes.

erm...I beg to differ.

C Major (ionian):

C, D, E, F, G, A, B

Last edited by JaffaCakeMexica (Apr 21, 2016 10:47 pm)

JaffaCakeMexica wrote:
Fearofdark wrote:

Also C major doesn't have to just be white notes.

erm...I beg to differ.

Fearofdark wrote:

I guess if I had to pick just one to be considered "the greatest fave of all time" it'd probably be "Love is Insecurable" by Chibi-tech. It's the closest thing to the 'perfect chiptune' I think I'll ever hear.

Chibi-Tech is extremely talented. I don't know how she does it.

Lake Titicaca

@knifecrimes

LOL. Yes, very well then.

@protodome

Dude. You are wrong.

"Dude, key =/= scale."

In music theory, the key of a piece is a group of pitches, or scale upon which a musical composition is created.

" There's no real difference between a funk jam in Dm (D dorian) and a pop track in C (C ionian) as both are built on the same scale."

Dm = D minor, which is aeolian, not dorian. They are not the same.

D natural minor (aeolian) = D, E, F, G, A, A#, C
D dorian = D, E, F, G, A, B, C

I concur that D dorian consists of the same notes as C Major (ionian), as does F Lydian.

D Dorian = D, E, F, G, A, B, C
C Major = C, D, E, F, G, A, B
F Lydian = F, G, A, B, C, D, E

" Using C major doesn't reflect on a composer's skill whatsoever."

It only reflects that they have not yet worked out how to do anything with a keyboard other than using all the white keys (ie. no accidentals). This is the problem with the pocket operator series of devices which has recently been released. Personally I am tired of hearing cliched electronic music in C major.

Honestly, some of the chord names you have written here are not even real chords.

Last edited by JaffaCakeMexica (Apr 22, 2016 1:08 am)

Lake Titicaca

Reminds me of the Bubblyfish song called "of knowing, not knowing pretending"

http://www.bubblyfish.com

UK

Haha, with your definition sheet music would be insane, you'd change key signature every chord.

You're probably trolling but seriously dude, go learn some music theory.

San Diego, CA
JaffaCakeMexica wrote:

In music theory, the key of a piece is a group of pitches, or scale upon which a musical composition is created.

the smugness with which you talk makes me think that you're like quoting straight from wikipedia OH WAIT

yo I can also quote straight from wikipedia too

and anyway this

JaffaCakeMexica wrote:

It only reflects that they have not yet worked out how to do anything with a keyboard other than using all the white keys (ie. no accidentals).

is super wrong?

black keys aren't exclusively accidentals dude! accidentals are just notes that don't belong to the key signature the piece is written in? like sure I guess black keys are accidentals in c major on a traditional keyboard but we're talking about this on a forum that's about making music on old computers so maybe there's more than one perspective to take here

like honestly sir you have a lot of learning to do if you're going to make value judgments on music based only on the key they're written in

there's a lot of cliched electronic music written in keys other than c major you know

and you could very much stand to lose some of the know-it-all attitude you've been putting on display!

Lake Titicaca
PROTODOME wrote:

Haha, with your definition sheet music would be insane, you'd change key signature every chord.

Haha...but you are wrong.

Lake Titicaca
spacetownsavior wrote:

the smugness with which you talk makes me think that you're like quoting straight from wikipedia OH WAIT

Yes. I was quoting like straight from wikipedia.
So unless wikipedia is wrong I have provided evidence that protodome is incorrect.

But fair enough, because you still schooled me on accidentals a little bit. I didnt use the term correctly as I dont read sheet music. Also, I dont play piano or keyboard.

"like honestly sir you have a lot of learning to do if you're going to make value judgments on music based only on the key they're written in"

I didnt dislike those songs simply because they sounded so Major. I also disliked them because they sounded like prissy pseudo-gei teen pop / eurodisco bullshiz. Y'all think your so l33t but when I actually listen to the songs, it aint exactly spanking modernity on a platter. hush.

(but I still liked "saving the shy librarian").

Last edited by JaffaCakeMexica (Apr 22, 2016 10:05 am)

Toronto, Ontario, Canada
JaffaCakeMexica wrote:
PROTODOME wrote:

Haha...but you are wrong.

JaffaCakeMexica wrote:

But fair enough, because you still schooled me on accidentals a little bit. I didnt use the term correctly as I dont read sheet music.

JaffaCakeMexica wrote:

Also, I dont play piano or keyboard.

Mystery solved.

San Diego, CA

the audacity

IL, US
JaffaCakeMexica wrote:
spacetownsavior wrote:

Yes. I was quoting like straight from wikipedia.
So unless wikipedia is wrong I have provided evidence that protodome is incorrect.

But fair enough, because you still schooled me on accidentals a little bit. I didnt use the term correctly as I dont read sheet music. Also, I dont play piano or keyboard.

"like honestly sir you have a lot of learning to do if you're going to make value judgments on music based only on the key they're written in"

I didnt dislike those songs simply because they sounded so Major. I also disliked them because they sounded like prissy pseudo-gay teen pop bullshit. Y'all think your so l33t but when I actually listen to the songs, it aint exactly spanking modernity on a platter. hush.

(but I still liked "saving the shy librarian").

just curious, but where are YOUR songs? you haven't got anything uploaded to the site and no webpage or anything in your bio

Last edited by e.s.c. (Apr 22, 2016 2:32 am)

South Korea
e.s.c. wrote:

just curious, but where are YOUR songs? you haven't got anything uploaded to the site and no webpage or anything in your bio

Yeah, for somebody that doesn't know much music theory (Wikipedia doesn't count!) or even play the piano (or guitar I assume, as the same basic theory of scales and chords applies), and who has NO MUSIC to show, this gent talks an unbelievable amount of shit about how music theory should apply to other people's compositions! What a cunt.

vancouver, canada

ITT a guy attempts to take actual Musicians Some Of Whom Went To Actual Music School to school

Lake Titicaca

When someone says "this piece is in the key of C" it means that the piece uses the C Major Ionian scale.
So, the key signature would have no sharps or flats.

If the key of the piece is C minor, you would have to specify minor. Simply saying "this piece is in C" would not be sufficient.

If the piece is in C minor, it means that it uses the C minor (Aeolian) scale.

In sheet music a composer would specify that the piece of music is in C minor before the start of the song, by writing in all the accidentals on the stave (D#, G#, A#), because C minor is (C, D, D#, F, G, G#, A#). If the piece had no key changes, then all the chords in this piece would be made up of notes from the C minor scale. It is for creating chords and arpeggios that you would use intervals:

0,3,7 - min

0, 5, 7 - sus4

0, 3, 7, 10 - m7

0, 3, 6 - dim

0, 3, 6, 10 - m7b5

0, 4, 7 - Maj

0, 4, 7, 11 - Maj7

0, 4, 7, 9 - 6th

0, 4, 7, 10 - 7th

These are the intervals (counting up in semitones from the root of the chord...note 0, like in most tracker arpeggiator pattern effect commands) that people use to create the main chords in any natural minor key. Musical keys and musical scales are inextricably interrelated.

Again, you are wrong.

Yes, you could say that pieces in E diminished or E melodic minor are both in E, but when someone says "this piece is in E" without specifying diminished or melodic minor, they are referring to E Major (E, F#, G#, A, B, C#, D#).

As a man who personifies honesty and integrity I do not ignore your (incorrect) criticisms.
However, I do not take them completely to heart.

Your lack of knowledge, coupled with your misplaced self confidence, is shocking and regrettable.
Please stop all the shilly-shallying and flibberty gibberty and find the courage to change and move on.

Last edited by JaffaCakeMexica (Apr 23, 2016 2:38 pm)

Lake Titicaca

"actual Musicians" - bryFace, 2016