i don't have a scienceguy8 arduino, but i have built one from Trash80's details and midi thru works fine. for example put the arduino into MGB mode, then chuck in a copy of MGB, the in socket on the arduino goes to a keyboard, the out goes on to another midi device and set the keyboard to channel 1 and start playing. the music will come out of the gameboy and the other midi device if set up properly.

in theory you could just add more midi sockets to the arduino and use the gameboy as a master clock or something like that,

☺☺☺
NeX wrote:

i don't have a scienceguy8 arduino, but i have built one from Trash80's details and midi thru works fine. for example put the arduino into MGB mode, then chuck in a copy of MGB, the in socket on the arduino goes to a keyboard, the out goes on to another midi device and set the keyboard to channel 1 and start playing. the music will come out of the gameboy and the other midi device if set up properly.

in theory you could just add more midi sockets to the arduino and use the gameboy as a master clock or something like that,

Meknows how midi thru works, methinks the circuit diagram is possibly to blame, and im wondering if hardwiring off the 6n138 would work(thank you for the unnecessary spoonfeeding i suppose tongue)

Emar wrote:
NeX wrote:

Meknows how midi thru works, methinks the circuit diagram is possibly to blame, and im wondering if hardwiring off the 6n138 would work(thank you for the unnecessary spoonfeeding i suppose tongue)

it wasn't directed at anyone in particular, i have had a lot of people messaging me saying they are having trouble with their arduino so it was more of a general info thing.

if you wanted true, contsant midi thru then yea you could just wire the input socket to an output socket, its nothing more than power to make the led in the optocoupler flash so thats easy enough to do. if it was something like serial then thats not possible because in and out are in the same socket, but midi is great to work with because you have a socket for each direction.

Carbondale, IL

Big.  Ginormous.  Oops.

Thanks for selling arduinoboy at a sexy price!

Minneapolis, MN

I would love to know if you could just add a midi out socket from the midi in like that, I built an arduinoboy with 2 midi thrus but I used an 74ls14 IC from the arduino TX

Carbondale, IL

Fourteen ArduinoBoys are ready to go.  As usual, you can get them here.  An additional 15 will be built as soon as I receive some more GameLink Cables from Nonfinite.  They will be shipped as soon as possible.

Carbondale, IL

Nine of the 14 ArduinoBoys have been sold.  Eight of the nine are being shipped today, with one still awaiting an e-check to clear.  There are 5 ArduinoBoys still up for grabs.

EDIT: scratch that.  Ten have been sold and nine are being shipped today.  There are 3 left.  If you can order in the next two hours, I recommend you do so, as your ArduinoBoy will go out today.

Last edited by scienceguy8 (Jun 23, 2010 4:44 pm)

Spokompton

Just got one and I'm really happy with it. Haven't tested the nanoloop functions because I don't have nanoloop.

Question, though - is it possible to use one of these w/ Low-Gain's DMG-07 Gameboy Sync Box mod? http://www.flickr.com/photos/lameboymus … 419956111/  I tried to use it with a GBA SP and a DMG and the lights wouldn't come on. Not a big deal if it doesn't work (w/ LSDJ as slave I can use both off of one of your Arduinoboys w/ no extra cables!), but if there's a workaround I'd appreciate if you could point me toward it.

undergroundclouds wrote:

Just got one and I'm really happy with it. Haven't tested the nanoloop functions because I don't have nanoloop.

Question, though - is it possible to use one of these w/ Low-Gain's DMG-07 Gameboy Sync Box mod? http://www.flickr.com/photos/lameboymus … 419956111/  I tried to use it with a GBA SP and a DMG and the lights wouldn't come on. Not a big deal if it doesn't work (w/ LSDJ as slave I can use both off of one of your Arduinoboys w/ no extra cables!), but if there's a workaround I'd appreciate if you could point me toward it.

you would need something to sit between the arduinoboy and the DMG just to grab the clock and ground signal, then you could sync as many gameboys as you want from one arduinoboy.

and this really isn't ment to be a shameless plug or thread hijack, but because my midi gameboys have the arduinoboy wired inside, they leave the link port free to link with other gameboys, including with a DMG 07

Last edited by NeX (Jun 27, 2010 8:59 pm)

California
NeX wrote:
undergroundclouds wrote:

you would need something to sit between the arduinoboy and the DMG just to grab the clock and ground signal, then you could sync as many gameboys as you want from one arduinoboy.

and this really isn't ment to be a shameless plug or thread hijack, but because my midi gameboys have the arduinoboy wired inside, they leave the link port free to link with other gameboys, including with a DMG 07

WOAH. so I could link two gameboys together to sync as well as allow them to sync with ableton via midi??????

Last edited by Rei Yano (Jun 27, 2010 9:16 pm)

Rei Yano wrote:
NeX wrote:

WOAH. so I could link two gameboys together to sync as well as allow them to sync with ableton via midi??????

yep, basically LSDJ keeps sync based on just the pulses on the clock line of the link port, which is why you can add loads of gameboys because they are not actually talking to each other they are just detecting the pulse of the clock line. the arduinoboy takes a midi tempo signal and generates a clock siginal in the same way a gameboy would, so it pretends to be a gameboy. all gameboys connected to that clock signal will be sync'd

obviously there are a couple of other things, all linked gameboys must be running the same program (LSDJ) which is set to slave sync and is in waiting mode, and the gameboys need their data lines grounded i believe as well as a ground signal from the other gameboys and arduino. but again that could be done with a midi gameboy and a standard link cable, or some kind of link socket splitter thing.

but it would work with any gameboy you could have a midi DMG powering the arduinoboy, and then have it linked to a gameboy pocket, or SP

California

what about two Mgbs? smile I already figure this is not possible.

Rei Yano wrote:

what about two Mgbs? smile I already figure this is not possible.

hmmm it might be possible. not with just a standard midi gameboy and link cable, but it depends if the arduino just sends note data to the gameboy or if it expects something back from the gameboy.

if it just sends data you could again link as many gameboys as you want to MGB and play two different tones with the gameboys together, maybe cords

unless you are talking about pocket gameboys. if you mean you want to sync two pocket gameboys to midi with one arduinoboy, that would also be possible except the pockets don't seem to have enough power to drive the arduino so you would need an external power supply i think.

but as for doing things like having multiple midi thru sockets on an arduinoboy, and multiple link cables on an arduinoboy i have actually already made these for people and they seem to work so far, apart from multiple link cables need to have a master and slave link cables.

one other thing that might be possible, by editing the arduino code a little bit, you could have different channels going to different gameboys allowing maybe for cords using 3 gameboys? or maybe seperating the note data, i needs more investigation.

Sweeeeeeden

MIDI was designed for multi-channel communication. As you may or may not know, there are 16 MIDI channels you can use, that can be transmitted over a shared line. The mGB mode in Arduinoboy just translates MIDI data into the serial port format the Gameboy is using. It doesn't alter the data. (Well ok, it does do some editing, like erasing some duplicate messages, but that's not relevant here.) It does forward data for all channels. So in theory it's possible to just connect several Gameboys to a single Arduinoboy output with eg a spliced cable. I also modded mGB so it could receive MIDI on other channels, 1-5, 6-10, or 11-15. That worked relatively ok, but as it turns out, mGB doesn't handle data sent on other channels than its own channel. So if you send data on channel 2, when mGB is receiving on 6-10, it might freak out and crash. If someone (me?) can fix that bug, this method will work.

nitro2k01 wrote:

MIDI was designed for multi-channel communication. As you may or may not know, there are 16 MIDI channels you can use, that can be transmitted over a shared line. The mGB mode in Arduinoboy just translates MIDI data into the serial port format the Gameboy is using. It doesn't alter the data. (Well ok, it does do some editing, like erasing some duplicate messages, but that's not relevant here.) It does forward data for all channels. So in theory it's possible to just connect several Gameboys to a single Arduinoboy output with eg a spliced cable. I also modded mGB so it could receive MIDI on other channels, 1-5, 6-10, or 11-15. That worked relatively ok, but as it turns out, mGB doesn't handle data sent on other channels than its own channel. So if you send data on channel 2, when mGB is receiving on 6-10, it might freak out and crash. If someone (me?) can fix that bug, this method will work.

i suppose if the bug cant be fixed with MGB, it could possibly be done at the arduino side? either an arduinomega with multiple serial ports sending different channels down different gameboy cables (maybe you don't even need the extra serial ports) or multiple arduinos sharing the same midi input?