IL, US

(shrug) i've been working on more e.s.c. stuff again instead of just d_strct & first of the ninth so i guess i'm doing my part. as to if that means that i'm helping make it more alive as a genre or less so is a matter open to debate

Liverpool, UK

I think Chiptunes = Win did their damnedest to scare off everyone who wasn't already into it or is a massive "I'M A GEEK LOL" type of person. It certainly felt like for a while there was a good mix of geeks but also hipster types, arty types etc, but I think the bulk of those people have gotten into buying modular or even proper synths now.

Abandoned on Fire
calmdownkidder wrote:

I think Chiptunes = Win did their damnedest to scare off everyone who wasn't already into it or is a massive "I'M A GEEK LOL" type of person.

I had to completely remove myself from any interaction with them 'cause I'd just end up coming off as an angry asshole. I mean, I am an angry asshole a lot of the time but I'd rather not advertise it. tongue

IL, US
egr wrote:
calmdownkidder wrote:

I think Chiptunes = Win did their damnedest to scare off everyone who wasn't already into it or is a massive "I'M A GEEK LOL" type of person.

I had to completely remove myself from any interaction with them 'cause I'd just end up coming off as an angry asshole. I mean, I am an angry asshole a lot of the time but I'd rather not advertise it. tongue

yeah, i never joined the group because of that vibe. just didn't feel like that right scene for art weirdos like me

I feel like the european chiptune scene is very well connected right now, since we got the Chiptuna Europa FB Group and the Chipwrecked Festival.
I was not around in the old times though.

Bonn, Germany

Chiptune in Europe is very much alive at the moment.
There have been numerous new artists within the last 2-3 years, especially the German and French scene has popped up a lot of new musicians. And as Vault Kid already said, there's Chipwrecked, which serves as a huge networking engine.

i dont know the exact situation in the US, I mean they have magfest n shit, and pulsewave which is a regular chip event that happens every month, theres also 8static...

Glasgow, Scotland.

Have to echo the sentiments above. To me it seems like chiptune is more alive than it's been in years - at least in Europe. There are plenty of relatively new artists who are gigging regularly. No, there may not be any extremely well known names like Anamanaguchi, Unicorn Kid, or even folk like Chipzel etc again, but that's because they were around early on - and that is natural.

Abandoned on Fire
unexpectedbowtie wrote:

Have to echo the sentiments above. To me it seems like chiptune is more alive than it's been in years - at least in Europe. There are plenty of relatively new artists who are gigging regularly. No, there may not be any extremely well known names like Anamanaguchi, Unicorn Kid, or even folk like Chipzel etc again, but that's because they were around early on - and that is natural.

Yes. I need to chime back in after my negative comment above to say I think chip is doing just fine and has more exposure than ever. Nothing needs reviving heart

Melbourne
e.s.c. wrote:
egr wrote:

yeah, i never joined the group because of that vibe. just didn't feel like that right scene for art weirdos like me

lol I consider it an art piece to submit a long/repetitive/minimalist nanoloop composition every year to the chipwin compilation and have it not get chosen. 3 years running now, it's becoming quite a tradition. Might aim for something 1 hour long next year.

IL, US
havocCc wrote:

i dont know the exact situation in the US, I mean they have magfest n shit, and pulsewave which is a regular chip event that happens every month, theres also 8static...

Think both pulsewave & 8static aren't really doing events anymore, at leaat nit regularly.

IL, US
pselodux wrote:
e.s.c. wrote:

lol I consider it an art piece to submit a long/repetitive/minimalist nanoloop composition every year to the chipwin compilation and have it not get chosen. 3 years running now, it's becoming quite a tradition. Might aim for something 1 hour long next year.

We should follow through on that joke idea for a 2-track, 4+ hr split

Melbourne

haha definitely! I haven't forgotten about that btw, I've just been super lazy when it comes to music lately.

Last edited by pselodux (Sep 9, 2018 9:14 pm)

Nomad's Land

I dunno about the internals of chiptune=win, but hey, let's hear it for facebook-walled gardens!
https://www.cnbc.com/2018/09/05/faceboo … d-app.html

Geneva, NY

Is it future or is it past?

https://groups.google.com/d/msg/lsdj/id … e0fuxwPKEJ

Italy
irrlichtproject wrote:

I dunno about the internals of chiptune=win, but hey, let's hear it for facebook-walled gardens!
https://www.cnbc.com/2018/09/05/faceboo … d-app.html

Literally the only reason why I still use facebook are the chiptune groups and events (and I'm not even in the C=W group).

By the way, I think that the usage of this forum is pretty much in decline, sadly, but that and eventually your local chip scene dying out don't mean that chiptune is actually dying. As many people pointed out Europe's activities are actually rising up in number. Sure, many big names may have disappeared or moved on, but that doesn't kill the scene, it renews it.

Last edited by Merutochan (Sep 10, 2018 3:55 pm)

NC in the US of America

Good musicians writing good music