Offline
Nomad's Land
BLEO wrote:

Is it future or is it past?

https://groups.google.com/d/msg/lsdj/id … e0fuxwPKEJ

and BLEO wins the thread

Last edited by irrlichtproject (Sep 10, 2018 5:44 pm)

Offline

People need to be more active on an actual forum. Not facebook or some shitty blog that's DICTATED by a few individuals. I admit I tried to go with, and then against thercurrent, and eventually drowned myself. I gave up on the scene. Stopped sharing my music and especially myself on any website. i'm just one dude, but I know that Im not the only one (out of thousands) that reacted this way to the shift of social media. This also does not help; If you were around before 2015 you know what Im rambling about.

Last edited by shitbird (Sep 10, 2018 8:28 pm)

Offline
e.s.c. wrote:
havocCc wrote:

i dont know the exact situation in the US, I mean they have magfest n shit, and pulsewave which is a regular chip event that happens every month, theres also 8static...

Think both pulsewave & 8static aren't really doing events anymore, at leaat nit regularly.

Em is really trying her best to keep it going as best she can, even if she's just doing the Festival yearly. Last I heard PW was still doing pretty well, but that could have changed. The hardest part about keeping monthly 8static going was attendance at monthly shows. I feel like in the early days we had a younger crowd attending a lot of the monthly shows, and most of them were local college kids. While die-hard chip fans kept attending, I feel like it's been harder to get outsiders to attend shows, and that goes for any scene in Philly.

Offline
IL, US - also known as d_strct
BLEO wrote:

Is it future or is it past?

https://groups.google.com/d/msg/lsdj/id … e0fuxwPKEJ

man, there was supposed to be a 10th anniversary version of the chipmusic is dead comp this year, but i haven't heard anything about it in months sad

shitbird wrote:

People need to be more active on an actual forum. Not facebook or some shitty blog that's DICTATED by a few individuals. I admit I tried to go with, and then against thercurrent, and eventually drowned myself. I gave up on the scene. Stopped sharing my music and especially myself on any website. i'm just one dude, but I know that Im not the only one (out of thousands) that reacted this way to the shift of social media. This also does not help; If you were around before 2015 you know what Im rambling about.

i'm still bummed we didn't get to hang when i was in St. Louis last month, but you killed your facebook & i didn't have your number sad

Offline
Alive and well in fucksville

Chiptune revival compo? everyone make 1 song everyday! Take your gameboys to work. everyone has done it.

Last edited by bitjacker (Sep 11, 2018 1:32 am)

Offline
Melbourne
Merutochan wrote:

I think that the usage of this forum is pretty much in decline, sadly, but that and eventually your local chip scene dying out don't mean that chiptune is actually dying.

Honestly the main reason I like the chip scene is the social aspect. The regular Melbourne Chip Academy nights are so good because they're a lot more loose than the usual big chip gigs, with a workshop and/or 1-2 performers (and some "show us your WIPs" open mic stuff) but the rest of the night is just a bunch of us drinking and chatting. Most of the time I prefer this to the bigger, more structured shows where I don't get to talk to people as much.

Last edited by pselodux (Sep 11, 2018 1:56 am)

Offline
Whateverville, California

Saying "thing X is cancelled due to lack of interest", is usually a signal from your own ego to alert you that you are losing interest in said thing. I hear musicians pushing out new work all the time. Is the scene as good as it could be? I dunno, what's that supposed to look like? Make music, consume music, support the musicians you like. Boom, done.

Offline
Italy
pselodux wrote:
Merutochan wrote:

I think that the usage of this forum is pretty much in decline, sadly, but that and eventually your local chip scene dying out don't mean that chiptune is actually dying.

Honestly the main reason I like the chip scene is the social aspect. The regular Melbourne Chip Academy nights are so good because they're a lot more loose than the usual big chip gigs, with a workshop and/or 1-2 performers (and some "show us your WIPs" open mic stuff) but the rest of the night is just a bunch of us drinking and chatting. Most of the time I prefer this to the bigger, more structured shows where I don't get to talk to people as much.

Yeah, what I meant was more like "maybe your perception is that it's dying because you don't have much local activity, but that doesn't mean it is like that everywhere!"
In these two years I've seen a burst of concerts in Europe and I could perceive the interest spreading out in Italy, and I agree very much with what you say: big events may be great but it's also very, very important to socialize and construct together rather than proceeding forward blindly.

Offline
IL, US - also known as d_strct
Imaginary wrote:

Saying "thing X is cancelled due to lack of interest", is usually a signal from your own ego to alert you that you are losing interest in said thing. I hear musicians pushing out new work all the time. Is the scene as good as it could be? I dunno, what's that supposed to look like? Make music, consume music, support the musicians you like. Boom, done.

for the events, many of the people who are running them can't afford to lose money on them and venues usually cost money, so in those cases it's legit to eventually cut your loses if you keep ending up in the red. some friends of mine were doing breakcore events roughly quarterly in Chicago, but they were losing hundreds of dollars on each event, so now they're not really doing them anymore. there's no ego or loss of interest really on their parts, they're just adults with jobs that don't pay enough to eat substantial losses on a regular basis. especially since there's a lot of stress involved in organizing anything like that

Offline

Chiptune is dead.

Hey did you guys hear the new Bit Shifter?

Offline
Melbourne

the new what?

Offline

You know what really shifts my bits?

Offline
Chicago IL

How come whenever I say anything negative about chipwin I have to uninstall Facebook for a couple days

Offline
Abandoned On Fire
Saskrotch wrote:

How come whenever I say anything negative about chipwin I have to uninstall Facebook for a couple days

I think I've blocked or unfriended enough of that core group to never have to see any of that, thank god.

Offline
NUMBSKULL

IDK how shitpost.NSF exists and someone thinks chiptune is dead

Offline
catskull wrote:

IDK how shitpost.NSF exists and someone thinks chiptune is dead

exactly, i wasn't sayin it was dead. I got a lil emotional there haha, and I am admitting it's me with the problem. If I don't like the way things are, then make a way.