History of chipmod techniques as I remember them in the '80s-'90s.

Melbourne, Australia

awesome!

oklahoma

Thank you!  This is sooo cool.

Bratislava, Slovakia

very nice, i think 4mat is legend on Amiga chipmusic scene, his Hero's Quest ingame chipmusic was my favourite, but i was always wondering how was made music for games like Uridium 2 by Jason Page in his own player, because it sounds like from real oscillators and not like short one-cycle sampled waveforms.

Thanks.  btw Hero's Quest was by Barry Leitch. smile   I had a request earlier to do a video about the more exotic file formats so I might do that in the future.

Bratislava, Slovakia

Really Bazza? I have from Amiga times one huge mods.zip archive in my phone (i use DroidSound-E, great player also of exotic mods, i also helped developer to fix some "silence" players) and i always thought that mod.ingamehq was your music from Hero's Quest, 32184 bytes, sample names mostly prefixed ST-49:4mat.

Yeah I didn't do any Gremlin stuff.  There are a few mods with 4mat in the samples hence the confusion.

Melbourne

Great video! I'm interested in the future video on exotic file formats, would be a great insight.

Bratislava, Slovakia

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZP2HXB5aNJ8

I very like this chiptune from Uridium 2 game on Amiga, and i am wondering how was made. I know that Amiga have only PCM sample playback, but some editors (including synthsounds in OctaMED) offer some sort of probably one-cycle waveforms as digital oscillators and afaik Jason Page used his own editor (custom JP music format), but probably is it not available for public.

Warwickshire, UK

Very cool

The amiga has the built in feature of looping sample waveforms. If you use a very short loop, you have a waveform there and it can be modified as you wish, since it is basically just a short sample. Editors like Future Composer, Soundmon and Sonic Arranger make heavy use of this as a central concept of how the player/editor works, and allows various forms of modulation of the looped waveforms — or Paul van der Valk's tunes in the Imploder tools. Hence these player routines sound very much like oscillators. It is basically the same idea as using the amiga hardware to loop short waveforms in Sound/Noise/Pro-tracker, but these other editors were designed with this type of usage in mind and therefore take it a few steps further.

Last edited by frantic (Jun 25, 2020 2:33 pm)

USA, FL
4mat wrote:

History of chipmod techniques as I remember them in the '80s-'90s.

Dan of anarchy ---> Danarchy.