rochester, ny

inverse button is awesome. i'm loving this newest version.

thieveland ohio

love it love it love...one request anyway to get some sort of a tap tempo button i envision "syncing" it to the music being played!

brooklyn
node wrote:

love it love it love...one request anyway to get some sort of a tap tempo button i envision "syncing" it to the music being played!

I was just about to make the same suggestion!
Litewall is lookin really great so far.

WOW MAN!

Brilliant update blargg smile

Tokyo, Japan

I will down load this in a couple of hours and give it a spin, Blargg you RULE!

Help me out with this sync feature. Would it show a regular white flash after you tapped out the tempo for a bit? Or something else? I guess ideally the pattern's rate would somehow match, but that'll take a bit of doing.

Tokyo, Japan

Blargg, I just downloaded this and spent a little bit of time with this, kind of VJ jamming to some Skweee and I have some feedback,

First point

---This Fucking RULES!!!---

I mean seriously is a really really awesome, a totally useful tool to have in a VJ arsenal

I have a few ideas and observations

- Bearing in mind how many options for things we have for doing things in time to music like, white/inverse/greyscale, changing patterns, pausing etc, making a sync option seems a little redundant. I mean the fun of live visuals being interacting with it live?

- The vertical lines (hold start and right) seem a little fast, would it be possible to slow them down so that the "slow" option (ie hold down) was the "fast" option?

- On the "left" animation the bottom row seems much much lighter than the top rows.

- Could we get 2 or 3 extra speeds? Down x 2 = Very slow, Down x 3 = very very slow?

- Could you move "pause" and "unpause" to "left and right" while holding nothing? so Up and Down would control speed, and left and right would control pause and play? Then you could press play and stop and white/grey/invert in time to music musc more easily

- Could we get 4 more animation by double tapping directions? for example

Start plus Right = vertical lines
Start plus Right Right = Horizontal lines ?

- One animation I would really like to see would be squares kind of raining down from the top of the screen but not the whole screen filled with squares, maybe only 10 percent of the screen?

- Would different shapes be possible? for example circles/hollow squares/thin lines ?

and once again, thank you SO much for doing this. I will use it this weekend and post videos!

WOW MAN!

Here's where I'd left off. Just uploading to throw some ideas out there.

Controls:

A - cycle through speed at which new colours are fetched from the current palette
B - cycle through animation speed (not the same as the colour speed, as you'll see)

START - cycle through the different palettes
- first one is all colours grouped by hue
- second is all colours grouped by brightness
- third and subsequent palettes are individual colour cycles i.e. all blue, all red, all yellow etc.

U/D cycle through animations.
- Only new one I did was one that radiates outwards. Oh, and I did the full character set for the scroller plus a little surprise towards the end of the message smile

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/5493868/litewall6.nes

rochester, ny

i was using this with my nes advantage last night. using the turbo setting to change between the inverse and normal color settings rules.

Lazerbeat, yeah, I was thinking of having multiple presses access more patterns. The main drawback is that you don't get as immediate response when you select it. Maybe that's not a problem. I was also thinking that a configuration screen might allow you to select the patterns you particularly want for quick access. A configuration screen would also allow each VJ to customize things to his liking, so that he might achieve more unique effects.

Same with the animation speed: I figured the immediate enable/disable might be preferable to having to press up/down again to go back to normal. So you might speed it up for a few seconds, then slow it down.

I've been looking into the tempo tap and I'm really liking it. I'm writing a prototype side program that just synchronizes a screen flash with your tapping (and keeps going once you stop, of course), and allows fine-tuning if it's getting off the beat. I think it'll work well. The neat thing about this is that you can set the tempo to whatever you want (i.e. full control of animation speed), easily do a double/half tempo with the music, or whatever. I like this tempo tap idea because it keeps it interactive, and it's not locked to the music if you don't want it so.

I'm thinking I'll make the tempo tap Select + tap A, unless it would be used a lot.

I'm also probably going to have animations involve TWO rates: one that causes some visual pulse in time with the tempo tap, and another that cycles colors or whatever, whose speed can be adjusted. The visual pulse wouldn't be the flash; that'd still be manual. It'd be more subtle, like the one that has an expanding or contracting light circle.

Give me an idea of how you'd use pause/unpause. I made it a little obscure since I figured it wouldn't get used a lot. Would you be using it many times in the music? I don't want to waste such prime buttons as left and right on it unless it's a key function. I was going to save left/right to adjust some aspect of animation. Maybe the tempo tap will eliminate the need for that.

As you can see, with the controls, my goal was to make often-used things single-handed.

neilbaldwin, I'm thinking it's probably a good thing for you to be working on your version, since you're familiar with it, and you've taken a different approach to patterns (modify previous image, rather than overwrite with new one). Probably more unique ideas from each of us, rather than being on the same page. On the other hand, it means less patterns for my version. Every time I run yours I feel that it's more spontaneous and lively.

WOW MAN!

Blargg - I haven't done any work on it since we last spoke, I just realized there were a couple of effects in the code that weren't in the last version I uploaded so I changed the code a bit to make them accessible (instead of being commented out smile)

Having said that I actually did a bit of stuff on it today while eating lunch smile one new effect and a load of different palette ideas.

Let's get together on irc as we planned.

rochester, ny

i think there should be a way to clear the screen. just have it go back to black, like how it is when it starts.

also, maybe when you 'pause' it, it could allow you to access the config screen, where you could load a new preset?

i am seriously loving this by the way.

nickmaynard, hold Select then press B to have it transition to black, as when it started. Or if you want an immediate black, hold Start then press B. That's the initial state.

My idea for the config is that you hold any button on the controller while resetting the NES. You do not want it coming up while doing a performance. That would ruin the mood. The settings will be saved in battery RAM, which I assume the PowerPak supports decently.

rochester, ny
blargg wrote:

nickmaynard, hold Select then press B to have it transition to black, as when it started. Or if you want an immediate black, hold Start then press B. That's the initial state.

awesome.

blargg wrote:

My idea for the config is that you hold any button on the controller while resetting the NES. You do not want it coming up while doing a performance. That would ruin the mood. The settings will be saved in battery RAM, which I assume the PowerPak supports decently.

awesome!

seriously, this is very cool.

WOW MAN!

OK so I did a few new bits and bobs on mine, again only to serve as inspiration to blargg smile

There's 3 new things;

- I tried a different graphic for the squares, gives quite a different effect.
- there's a new animation mode which puts random bright (the near-white versions) in random coordinates, with a random delay while the cell is black and a random speed for fading down towards the dark version of the colour. It also randomly works it way through all the hues. Really nice and organic smile As with other modes the animation speed scales the delay and fading speed.
- I added "Epilepsy Mode". Toggle it with SELECT. The flashing speed is tied into the animation speed.

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/5493868/litewall7.nes

Very minor tweaks, since the stuff I'm working on will take a while. Comb pattern slowed down. Lighter row at bottom of other pattern eliminated.

blargg_litewall-4.zip

The tempo idea got put on hold while I implement other shapes. That's an awesome idea, and so obvious too.

Heh, "epilepsy mode" is why I tried to avoid really quick flashing patterns.