Los Angeles
joule wrote:

I don't like that idea. Being on a special list is a contest.

Not on a special list. I'm saying ther could be a link, or a list, that shows songs that have a certain score.

The score would be based on information, such as (for the sake of argument ill call "likes" thumbs)

(comments / views) + (thumbs / views) + (bookmarks/views) / 3

if a track has 15 views, 1 comment, 1 thumb, 0 bookmarks its total score would be: 0.04
if its a popular artist track, and they have: 1623 views, 143 thumbs, 120 comments, 45 bookmarks: 0.063

This puts all songs on a more even playing field for a "popular" chart.
We are not necessarily going this direction I'm just thinking out loud, the most important feature right now is even having uploads in the first place wink

New York City

I really liked the Shit Fltr big_smile

Grand Rapids, MI

If thumbs up/down are invisible, but the ratio of up:down is visible, I think it could be useful. Perhaps shown with a small colored square near the track, using a pink-gray-blue gradient (typical easy-to-read red to green, but matching the site's existing color scheme) for negative-neutral-positive.

Anyway I also can't wait for music uploads here!!

Los Angeles

dont hold your breath.

Bronx, NY
akira^8GB wrote:

I would like it very much if the problems created by a likes system were negated by the users being mature enough about it.

akira^8GB wrote:

Why can't "artists" be mature enough to take this simple reality of our life as men (or women) and not get into sissy mode?
You want everyone to like your shit? Here's some news: it will never happen. You can't please every single person.

I can't express how much I agree with this, you have no idea.

Just to reiterate and perhaps expand on my earlier point though: the whole popularity contest thing, and drama from a Likes system is so ridiculously overstated in my opinion. I'm not necessarily saying we should attack the beehive and be lax in terms of potential drama, but taking a cue from the first Akira post I quoted here...I think people can be mature about it, and even if they're not, that kind of shit is remarkably easy to ignore...if you're not a staff member tongue

Melbourne, Australia
trash80 wrote:

Not on a special list. I'm saying ther could be a link, or a list, that shows songs that have a certain score.

The score would be based on information, such as (for the sake of argument ill call "likes" thumbs)

Personally I like the idea of points for whatever reason (is it because someone listened to it, or commented on it or whatever).

A chart based on likes doesn't necessarily get you the best song, it gets you the song by the person who is able to convince the most of their mates to press "like" on it (not to mention the competitiveness where it's a matter of two people being close in score and one of them may potentially spam their song to get the edge (or someone might spam it on their behalf!)

I think rather than a top 5 in order of points, being in a list of all the songs that have hit this X value "score" over the past Y time period would be nice. Invisible score based on how many people liked your track enough to listen/comment/"like" it especially if its based on total liked/total listened = score (or whatever. )
All you know is you're awesome enough to be on the "special list"; not who is the most awesome or who beats who. Just enough to get you a warm fuzzy people because people love you.

I'm rambling. Time to go home. smile

Finland
Norock wrote:

If thumbs up/down are invisible, but the ratio of up:down is visible, I think it could be useful. Perhaps shown with a small colored square near the track, using a pink-gray-blue gradient (typical easy-to-read red to green, but matching the site's existing color scheme) for negative-neutral-positive.

This, maybe up/down arrows or those squares.

+tags.

+how trash80 described the calculation process earlier.

For me this conversation is more about how I want to find stuff that I probably like and sometimes from artists that arent really that famous. And Norock's idea would give good advice what's generally popular AND if it's calculated in some way like Trash described it, then it would give a chance to lesser known artists. When I'm thinking this from as a artist uploading point of view, I really don't care how people would rate my stuff, people should have REALISTIC confidence about what they are doing!

btw, am I the only one who would like to have post numbers visible? Like when you put a mouse over the post it could be on the right bottom corner in just visible grey or something. Or having them just at the quoting/reply page, sometimes it's handy/easier to just say "yeah just like UserX said on post #58 above" than have multiple quotes.

Los Angeles
DKSTR wrote:

"yeah just like UserX said on post #58 above" than have multiple quotes.

you should generally always quote i think.

Finland
trash80 wrote:
DKSTR wrote:

"yeah just like UserX said on post #58 above" than have multiple quotes.

you should generally always quote i think.

I guess that's right ...but I'm too lazy for that:D

Last edited by DKSTR (Jan 12, 2010 8:14 am)

I don't really like where this is going.

New suggestion:
Just have a group of members grant tracks to be on "the chipmusic.org playlist". This is an effective way to find good enough quality and filter out most of the crap, without making it all too serious/competetive. The threshold to be on the playlist shouldn't be enormously high.

Tokyo, Japan

Having an opt in system isn't possible with even the most restrictive of Creative Commons licences unless you want a fairly creative interperetation. If it's distributed CC it can be redistributed and added to any playlist (bar an exception or two depending on the licence).

I don't meant to sound negative about the idea, on the contrary, Im glad we are all still looking at ways to find a happy middle ground

Lazerbeat wrote:

Having an opt in system isn't possible with even the most restrictive of Creative Commons licences unless you want a fairly creative interperetation. If it's distributed CC it can be redistributed and added to any playlist (bar an exception or two depending on the licence).

I don't meant to sound negative about the idea, on the contrary, Im glad we are all still looking at ways to find a happy middle ground

Are you referring to my post?

I hardly think that the CC licence has any implications whatsoever on a filter or playlist selection.

Stockholm
joule wrote:

I don't really like where this is going.

New suggestion:
Just have a group of members grant tracks to be on "the chipmusic.org playlist". This is an effective way to find good enough quality and filter out most of the crap, without making it all too serious/competetive. The threshold to be on the playlist shouldn't be enormously high.

I think this is a good idea. It should not be like micromusic.net's QFS, but rather a simple control to filter out non-chip/8bit music, troll songs etc. But again, this might be easier done the other way around, with a "Report track"-button.

Some other opinions and ideas:

I think a one-upload-per-week is very reasonable.

I'm very glad tags will be implemented. This will help tremendously.

About likes/favourites/thumbs etc, I agree with some that it is a great tool for bookmarking (that's mostly the way I've been using it on 8bc, for instance). However, I think it should be mandatory to add a comment in order to add a thumb/like/bookmark. It prevents laziness and encourages constructive criticism.

Having a chart most people seem to agree on not being a good idea, myself included. Trash80's suggestion with a kind of algorithm dividing views, comments and thumbs/likes might work though... I'm not sure. A kind of recommendation system like last.fm (but simpler) could also work. It would give you recommendations based on tracks you have "thumbed" compared to what other users with similar taste have "thumbed", and take tags, total "thumb"-count etc in to the calculation. It might be too hard to pull off, but I like the idea... That way, the "charts" would be exchanged with a personal recommendation list. µB mentioned something similar, I believe.

Having a "Subscribe to user uploads"-function would be nice.

Also, good job on the site so far. Looking forward to see it grow.

IL, US

oh, i like that recommendations based on what you've liked idea a lot

Tokyo, Japan
joule wrote:
Lazerbeat wrote:

Are you referring to my post?

I hardly think that the CC licence has any implications whatsoever on a filter or playlist selection.

I was but in retrospect, I was managing to get the cart before the horse, my foot in my mouth and my head up my arse all at the same time. Technically the CC license means you can do whatever you like in terms of distribution of tracks ergo the site could in THEORY be all "no we are going to to put everything in as its CC" but you are absolutely right. in this case has no bearing on anything. Opting in and out gives people more options, and more options are good.

Also this recommendations based preferred tracks reminded me of 

http://libre.fm/more.html

Which is kind of a GPLed version of Last FM aimed at indie artists and communites. Might be helpful?

New York City
dosPrompt wrote:

A chart based on likes doesn't necessarily get you the best song, it gets you the song by the person who is able to convince the most of their mates to press "like" on it

Definitely, I Agree with this a lot. It means fuck all.

joule wrote:

But most people will not agree regarding these people's choices. even if more lenient, it will become like the QFS and next we know we have a Dissed By Chipmusic.Org compilation big_smile

Also, it means a LOT of work from the people who have to select the stuff, depending on how restricted uploads are and number of users. It is possible that a future might make it almost impossible to keep sane track of.

I would , as well, opt for a one track PER MONTH rule. It would automatically threshold people's eagerness to upload any shit they came up with. It's a pre-emptive filter. If you are not allowed to upload much stuff, you will try to choose your best to get there.