Tokyo, Japan

Neil and Bllargg,

Thanks so much once again, D/Ling new version on my way out to work. Had a quick interface brain wave.

How about accessing patterns by

Hold Dpad Down or Left + Sel/Start/A/B - Transition to pattern
Hold Dpad Down or Left + Sel/Start/A/B - Switchto pattern

I don't think we are using this key combination yet and it would give access to 8 patterns instantly or with transitions and would free up A/B plus directions for shapes / pallette changes?

Will reply in more depth and post a video of how im acctually using it this weekend, my powerpack arrived, Just need to get a card reader!

Wow, shapes are cool. Left and right change between them. I only made up four. I was experimenting with morphing them, but for now I think simple is better.

blargg_litewall-5.zip

WOW MAN!
blargg wrote:

Wow, shapes are cool. Left and right change between them. I only made up four. I was experimenting with morphing them, but for now I think simple is better.

blargg_litewall-5.zip

Heh, shapes do look good smile

I was thinking if you switched to a mapper that had CHR RAM, the morphing could be done quite easily, though I for one wouldn't like to have to draw the morphs by hand - I wonder if we could strong-arm someone from here with pixel skills...

Tokyo, Japan

I'll be happy to do it. What size / format do you need the shapes in and how many steps to morph?

I have "skills" in the loosest sense but should be able to donit

Yeah, I was experimenting with CHR RAM for that purpose. Too much of a sidetrack right now.

I fixed an occasional glitch in the upper-left corner (in overscan area): blargg_litewall-6.zip

Tempo tap algorithm working pretty well now; preparing to integrate into main code...

WOW MAN!

Thanks to the cat waking me up at some ungodly hour, I did another animation (sorry blargg big_smile)

New mode has a snake!

Cycle through and you'll find it. Once in Snake Mode pressing LEFT will change the number of snakes (up to 4). Pressing RIGHT will change the type of movement. Changing the animation speed (A) changes the speed, as you'd expect. Because of the way I did the animation for the tails, a nice side effect is that the colour-fetching speed (B) changes the length of the tails.

Each time you enter Snake Mode they'll be assigned new random colours.

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/5493868/litewall8.nes

Last edited by neilbaldwin (Jul 16, 2010 8:58 am)

Tokyo, Japan

Still out at work but playing with blarglitwall 4 I found something which seems a little buggy. When using select and b or start and b to vlacknout the screen then pressing b or a to get the grey scale or white background, empty squares show up as pale yellow rather than white or mid grey rather than black which looks a little odd

Minneapolis

OK, now I have a whole pile of new revisions to try out. My EPROM burner is going to be busy for a while, and I predict this is going to put many more hours onto my brand new projector bulb. smile

Nuremberg, GERMANY

I just love this rom. I will try it out on our local chiptune festival if I find a good way for running it on a real NES and not on an emulator.
The Powerpak is waaay too pricy

Minneapolis

CZMO- I make cartridges. They are not too bad price wise. PM me. smile

EDIT: if you are handy with a soldering iron I can just send you chips and you can install them in your own donor cartridge. Or I can just give you instructions if you are one of the lucky few with an EPROM programming machine.

Last edited by arfink (Jul 16, 2010 7:24 pm)

could i get this running on a snes?

I was going to say "not a chance", but now that I think about it, it wouldn't be so hard to implement the engine on the SNES, with an almost identical visual appearance. All the high-level pattern code would just work.

How many would benefit from being able to run this on a SNES? I suppose one immediate benefit is having more buttons on the controller. A drawback is that it's not pushing the SNES at all; piece of cake for it. It wouldn't be as interesting, and not as retro. Anyone else have an opinion or desire for a SNES version? Not just as a curiosity, but that would actually help them practically, over the current NES version.

Riverside, CA

I definitely prefer NES.

I'm under the persuasion that feels limitation necessitates creativity. I'd like to see this pushed as far as it can possibly go on the NES.

Also, I have an NES and Powerpak. There is so much awesome stuff going on for NES right now, I'd hate to buy an SNES just for this ROM.

Last edited by Koatl (Jul 17, 2010 1:52 am)

Tokyo, Japan

Also prefer NES. I spent last night sorting out a (fucking awful) "video mixer", about to take Neil and Blarggs versions out to play a couple of sets at cheapbeats, VJing for Xinon and nonononononononono. Should have a few videos to upload tomorrow night!

Koatl wrote:

I'm under the persuasion that feels limitation necessitates creativity. I'd like to see this pushed as far as it can possibly go on the NES.

Totally agree. That's why I've been reluctant for some of the changes to even the NES version, like having morphing shapes. The basic concept of a low-resolution grid of colors is a nice limitation. Doing all sorts of effects with the shapes themselves kind of breaks that. I'm thinking a few simple changes (square, circle, whatever) can have a good impact if done sparingly in a performance.

Doing lots of work on the framework, in preparation for configuration and getting closer to merging in neilbaldwin's patterns. Tempo tap is working really well. I didn't think I'd be able to get it this clean and stable. This will be totally optional; you will be able to adjust the rate manually as well.

WOW MAN!

Blargg - I was thinking about the tempo tap and the idea that you could expand button tapping into recoding rhythmic patterns i.e.

1) Tap A and recording begins.
2) Record delta, in frames (16 bit probably), until next tap of A
3) Keep recording A taps until B is tapped - this marks the end (loop) point.
4) At the same time B is pressed, start playing the pattern of A hits from the beginning.

You could then tap along to whatever music is playing and this rhythm would be used as the basis for some of the animations. It would also double up as a tempo - tap A then B, the delta between them would be used to set the speed.

Last edited by neilbaldwin (Jul 17, 2010 7:58 am)