Milwaukee, Wisconsin USA

i should design a newer updated dc:dc converter for the dmg.. then again.. who'd want to pay $30-50 on a new supply to install into a $10 gameboy? lol

Agreed Arfink. the electrolytic caps specifically should all be replaced.

Ultimately the real problem is this... you're using a game boy to make music.. putting very little investment into it and expecting the entire world out of it. lol. Cut it a little slack and just deal with the issues.. or dont use it at all wink

I laugh every time i see someone bitch about noise problems w/ a game boy... it's 4-8bit audio man! it's supposed to sound like shit! *laughs*

NorthTtrrrway
low-gain wrote:

Ultimately the real problem is this... you're using a game boy to make music.. putting very little investment into it and expecting the entire world out of it. lol. Cut it a little slack and just deal with the issues.. or dont use it at all wink

I laugh every time i see someone bitch about noise problems w/ a game boy... it's 4-8bit audio man! it's supposed to sound like shit! *laughs*

spot on!

Last edited by the mist toggles (Jul 19, 2010 5:59 pm)

killadelphia

Hm...  i think i found something that was making the thing chug a bit...

In my tables i was using the A command to send the cursor to another empty pattern (this was a short kinda plucked table with the W command  only for like 4 ticks on the square)

instead of making it go to an empty table i just used the H command to make it loop shorter - it resolved the problem...

Maybe we should get Johan to make a list of the commands in order of how much CPU they drain ...so people can optimize their songs for the DMG-01 or whatever they're running.

Logain >> i noticed that about the V command - i wonder why that one is so CPU intensive - probably because its reading another waveform?

Milwaukee, Wisconsin USA

Johan can probably explain that one better than i can. But considering it's shifting pitch registers accurately across octaves.. it doesn't surprise me.

Melbourne, Australia

Maybe you could still record it from a DMG if you only play one channel at a time then mix the recordings together later. As for playing live you'd need a cgb or better.

Chicago IL

V takes up less cpu in the phrase's effect column than in tables right?

killadelphia

I think all the commands take up less cpu in the phrase column than when you use them in a table.  thats my hunch at least...

killadelphia

also, i think if 2 instruments are sharing the same table its bad news on the dmg01.  i've actually done it on purpose to get the thing to slow down here and there - sort of humanizing the gb.  im pretty sure it wont slow down when you use 2 seperate tables on 2 different instruments (even if you have to clone a table).  counter intuitive stuff i guess.

Last edited by animalstyle (Jul 20, 2010 8:16 am)

Chicago IL

thats what i thought, i usually stick to keeping my VXXs in the phrases themselves, never have any problems, and i only fucks with DMGs.

Wellington, NZ

I don't know, my gameboy color had an awful hiss/hum even after a pre-pot pro sound.

rochester, ny
animalstyle wrote:

also, i think if 2 instruments are sharing the same table its bad news on the dmg01.  i've actually done it on purpose to get the thing to slow down here and there - sort of humanizing the gb.  im pretty sure it wont slow down when you use 2 seperate tables on 2 different instruments (even if you have to clone a table).  counter intuitive stuff i guess.

yeah i've noticed this too.

BK
animalstyle wrote:

Maybe we should get Johan to make a list of the commands in order of how much CPU they drain ...so people can optimize their songs for the DMG-01 or whatever they're running.

absolutely! id love to see this.