Plano, TX
ant1 wrote:

There is still an in-between area of things which have limited/This spam will soon be deleted appeal.

That's exactly why I closed off with this:

PixyJunket wrote:

You will be severely limiting the audience, which may be fine to you and it may fit in with the enthusiast attitude of the site/label, mind you, but that's the reality of it.

Tacoma WA

so music for music's sake.

what a crazy concept.

i love the idea but honestly can't be arsed to deal with trying to figure out how to make those formats play on my computer.

but the idea is ace!

infradead wrote:

so music for music's sake.

what a crazy concept.

i love the idea but honestly can't be arsed to deal with trying to figure out how to make those formats play on my computer.

but the idea is ace!

Exactly, you got the idea, just download a tracker, like Vortex, and make the stuff.
For many formats mentioned here you just need one player, XMPlay:

http://www.un4seen.com/

The link for a player/tracker will be added with the EP's (hopefully at least some, mine if nothing else).

The site is now up, first version (v.0.00001), here:

http://pxtr.untergrund.net/8it

Please do not bookmark yet, I need to make few things first, the address might be changed, but that will happen only once. 

-p

Abandoned on Fire

I really like your concept (and noise/chaos in general).  I have to ask:  Why the 1MB cap?  If you did away with that you could include the needed players in the release... you'd be asking for a mountain of headaches and "tech support" requests but it would be a nice touch.

Regardless, expect some submissions from me (if for no other reason than to see what happens)!

egr wrote:

I really like your concept (and noise/chaos in general).  I have to ask:  Why the 1MB cap?  If you did away with that you could include the needed players in the release... you'd be asking for a mountain of headaches and "tech support" requests but it would be a nice touch.

Regardless, expect some submissions from me (if for no other reason than to see what happens)!

Thanks ! The 1MB was just a meaningless rule (which I happen to like much), but of course there's other things too: 1. To prevent making very big samples in MOD/XM-format 2. To save disk space
and especially 3. the bandwidth limitations of the site. It could be 2MB or 4MB, I just liked 1MB, it shouldn't be a big problem.

Great, I look forward, I'm now doing the first release, just an example of the "model".

-p

OK, first release out, few (or more than few) things should be done but something like this simple I had in my mind. Five pieces, each ca. 4 min, total size ca. 800 KB, zipped size 303 KB. And before you ask, 1 MB restrictions is for unzipped pieces.

Just a start, nothing special, looking forward for more submissions !

http://pxtr.untergrund.net/8it

-p

Last edited by pXtR (Jul 22, 2010 8:37 pm)

Melbourne, Australia

Would love to see your download statistics in a month. I want to know how many people can actually be fucked either loading or installing a tracker to play back your offerings. I'm guessing very few but I'd like to be pleasantly surprised. Good luck!

uhajdafdfdfa

Almost all chip formats can be played back by xmplay with enough plugins, and I'd expect the chipheads around here to already have players for a lot of formats.

Melbourne, Australia

I wasn't posting to argue if there was an already captive audience or installed user base. I know there will be lots of people who have xmplay. I also know of all those people a good deal wont be into the concept of the label. So you've already narrowed your segment further. Then there are the people who are into the concept and content but don't have the pre-requisites to play said formats. It's those people I'm interested in.

uhajdafdfdfa

I'm not sure how you will tell from download statistics which people already had players installed and which didn't! smile

Melbourne, Australia

Well assuming that he is going to throw some links on his site to download players... I'd say it wouldn't be hard to form a rough correlation.

herp derp derp?

Chicago IL

you should record everything onto betamax tapes and bury them across the country side, just to make sure it's extremely difficult for anyone to get into what youre doing

hardcore, Australia

I think you should up your size limit to 1.4mb and release everything on floppy disc.

Abandoned on Fire

I'm looking at this more as a "back to the roots" style idea.  Trading modules, learning about software, keeping the file sizes tiny to simulate low bandwidth connections... but with a focus on noise.  I dig it!  Not that I knew anything about computer music back when those things were going on.

Sweden

Start the label and I'll make an EP!

I was actually pretty into this until I clicked on your link and saw comic sans.