Minneapolis
blargg wrote:

Yeah, don't get your hopes up about a cheap devcart that can run anything. It would likely ONLY be able to run special small programs made for it.

However, you can expect that something like this will make it much easier for devs to get their code out there, since it will be a very convenient platform. Also, we're hoping the design will at least support NROM out of the box, as well as custom code designed especially for the dev cart.

USA

I love Lightwall!

Thank you so much.

USA

Would a Game Boy Color version be possible?

Toronto, Ontario, Canada
SurfaceDragon wrote:

Would a Game Boy Color version be possible?

It's porbably possible, but it would make it difficult to use as a VJ tool, as you'd then need to use it with the Gamecube's game Boy player or something similar to output the video.

USA

I think a GBC version might be cool because many chipmusic artists already have Game Boy flash carts, Super Game Boys, and SNESs.

And it might be cheaper to buy a Super Game Boy and EMS 64m GB cart(about $50) rather than a SNES PowerPak($140) for the SNES.

Last edited by SurfaceDragon (Jul 25, 2010 3:08 am)

Toronto, Ontario, Canada
SurfaceDragon wrote:

I think a GBC version might be cool because many chipmusic artists already have Game Boy flash carts, Super Game Boys, and SNESs.

And it might be cheaper to buy a Super Game Boy and EMS 64m GB cart(about $50) rather than a SNES PowerPak($140) for the SNES.

The Super Game Boy puts a big border on the image, so it's not quite as suitable for VJ work as using a Game Boy player for the Gamecube.

Last edited by jefftheworld (Jul 25, 2010 6:25 am)

Another significant update:

blargg_litewall-9

Adds much better palette control and tempo light pulse control, and a four-slot memory feature that stores a pattern and parameters for quick recall later. Please read at least the new tutorial section, as it walks you through the features in a way that clearly shows what each feature does. It can be hard to see their effects if you just try them at random.

I haven't cleaned up all the new code yet, so there may be some minor bugs. I just wanted to get something released, as it was getting too long since the last update.

Last edited by blargg (Jul 25, 2010 5:48 pm)

Venezuela

now it has a WEBSITE :DDDD...

@blargg, i will link to our website CULTURACHIP.ORG in the VISUAL part of the WIKI. Really, really thx for this and the time you spend smile im gonna check out and find the way use this without a POWERPAK.

Middlesbrough, UK

this is truly becoming my most watched thing on the web, and am genuinely looking forward to using it at UltraChip Fest next month. ^^

Anyone tried version 9 and have comments about the new palette and memory features? smile

I just got the SNES version supporting all the features of version 9, including configuration and battery saving. blargg_litewall-9-snes.zip

EDIT: ... OK, shapes and background color change implemented in SNES version as well, so I think it now has all the features as the NES version.

Last edited by blargg (Jul 27, 2010 6:07 pm)

USA

Thank you so much Blargg!

Litewall-9 for the SNES is KILLER!

Is it OK if I make suggestions for improvements? I don't want to seem ungrateful for all the work you put into litewall by telling you to change it.

Tokyo, Japan

Surface Dragon, Suggest away mate. I admit the thread is pretty epically long but there are several ideas which people have come up with this Blargg was good enough to add. Even if your idea doesn't make it in for some reason, it might provoke some interesting discussion.

Heh, byuu's suggestion for the SNES version was to have the L, R, X, and A buttons rotate the entire grid on three axes using Mode 7, so that it took advantage of some SNES features smile

Tokyo, Japan

That's a fairly bad ass feature!

Chicago, IL USA

Oh Mode 7, let me count the ways... that you rule.

NY, US

Thanks so much for going forward with this! I've been having tons of fun playing with it--it's incredibly full-featured and responsive, too; perfect for live improvisation. More SNES functionality would be bad ass, too; in addition to Mode 7 scaling and rotation, how about just zooming in and out as well? And that "pixelation" effect that was used ad nauseum in Final Fantasy II.