Melbourne

Just my opinion but I thought animalstyles latest song was pretty incredible as well as impressive.

Westfield, NJ
L-tron wrote:

It makes me absolutely sick to see that this track has 127 views and only 10 likes. This is one of the sickest LSDJ tracks I've ever heard and yet it goes way under-appreciated. If a popular artist posted the same track, it would be #1 before the week was even over.

http://8bc.org/music/wedanced/Finished+ … DJ%29+%28/

I don't know what it is with 8bc these days... people will comment on your song telling you that they like it, but they won't click "I like it!" It's like they know that there's a weekly competition to hit the top of the charts, and they only want to give likes to a handful of songs that they think should be in that chart... usually stuff by Anamanaguchi and so on. It's a bad system.

Philadelphia, PA

So I had a busted laptop for a few days and wasn't able to check anything.. and I totally missed this thread. Thanks so much to everyone who said nice stuff, I try, I try. But the truth is, I learned it all from YOU!!! All of you. Now I too will drop names.

Bit Shifter, Animal Style, and Dino are all pretty much absolute geniuses, and I think it's safe to say that many of us would be absolutely nowhere without them. I've also been blown away by several acts that I've seen at 8static and might not have otherwise checked out: Jonathan Baken, Mr. Spastic, Exile Faker... And VBLANK's visuals get me every single time. Unbelievable. Though I should also mention that NO CARRIER's NES movie shit at the RTP party the other day was.... well, there is no word for it.

Anyway, one last point, to tie this back to the original post: Nullsleep has amazing control over the Game Boy as an instrument, and it is also unbelievable. So many times during Nullsleep sets I find myself confused as to how he gets all those sounds, in the best possible way. It makes us all work harder. It's awesome.

Bronx, NY
Zan-zan-zawa-butt wrote:

am i ze only person around who doesn't notice someone's "synthesis" skills and just latches onto songwriting?

Actually, I'd say that's what MOST people do, and it's a shame in my opinion. It's why there are tons of technically proficient and "good" chipmusic out there with absolutely no personality...sometimes sound design isn't pushed hard enough. I like to see the perfect marriage of both, which is what I've seen from Nullsleep, Bit Shifter, Zen Albatross, exileFaker, glomag, a few more.

chipocrite wrote:

Bit Shifter, Animal Style, and Dino are all pretty much absolute geniuses

I'm sorry to sour this thread a little, and crazy amounts of love to all three of those guys, but I vehemently disagree with this. There seems to be a general attitude these days that anyone who is proficient at what they do, or has an original outlook on their given creative outlet is a genius. While the guys you listed above are very good at what they do, they are not geniuses by any stretch of the imagination. They sucked once, worked hard, practiced, and got better, and while they certainly moved chipmusic forward I really don't believe they brought it from larvae to butterfly all by themselves. Nobody did.

http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/genius wrote:

a : a single strongly marked capacity or aptitude
b : extraordinary intellectual power especially as manifested in creative activity
c : a person endowed with transcendent mental superiority; especially : a person with a very high IQ

Maybe I just have an overblown idea of what a genius is, but I don't even think guys like Richard D. James or Aaron Funk, or the great composers of the 1700s and 1800s were geniuses. They just think/thought outside of the box, and took things that they already know/knew/that influenced them, and filtered them through their own lens.

Last edited by PlainFlavored (Aug 28, 2010 5:37 pm)

Unsubscribe

gen·ius  (jnys)
n. pl. gen·ius·es
a. Extraordinary intellectual and creative power.
b. A person of extraordinary intellect and talent: "One is not born a genius, one becomes a genius" (Simone de Beauvoir).
c. A person who has an exceptionally high intelligence quotient, typically above 140.
2 a. A strong natural talent, aptitude, or inclination: has a genius for choosing the right words.
3. The prevailing spirit or distinctive character, as of a place, a person, or an era: the genius of Elizabethan England.
5. A person who has great influence over another.
6. A jinni in Muslim mythology.

Perhaps you guys are too protective of the word genius wink

Perhaps I just bristle at the term after hearing guys like Burial/Deadmau5/Justice/Daft Punk/SebastiAn be referred to as geniuses by stoned/otherwise impressionable teenagers, when they simply make feelgood music.

Milwaukee, WI

Feel good?  Hardly.  It does take some sort of genius to be that popular though.

Leuven, Bellagium

What does it matter anyway? All the artists mentioned in this thread are great musicians, whether they're geniuses or not! wink

Milwaukee, WI

Well you have to give the kid credit.  I just don't appreciate bashing on some of my favorite artists.

Philly, PA, USA

I don't think he intends to bash, just simply object to the use of the word genius. I however would say that genius is an appropriate description. Also if you wanna be really literal genius was originally (very simply put) pretty much the same as 'muse.' Someone's genius inspired them to do great works. It evolved into being more of someone who does the great works. The use of the word genius to denote raw intelligence is relatively recent.

anyway, stupid shit. let's get back to loving great musicians?

uhajdafdfdfa
DaPantz wrote:
Zan-zan-zawa-butt wrote:

am i ze only person around who doesn't notice someone's "synthesis" skills and just latches onto songwriting?

Actually, I'd say that's what MOST people do, and it's a shame in my opinion. It's why there are tons of technically proficient and "good" chipmusic out there with absolutely no personality...sometimes sound design isn't pushed hard enough. I like to see the perfect marriage of both, which is what I've seen from Nullsleep, Bit Shifter, Zen Albatross, exileFaker, glomag, a few more.

Personality comes from sound design?

I'd say the most personality-ful pieces of piano music aren't the ones for prepared piano, and the vast majority guitar/saxophone/organ/etc music just relies on the sound of the instruments. Does that mean it has no personality? I think the complete opposite is true really - anyone can make a gameboy say BLARGLEBLARGLEBLARGLE!

Milwaukee, WI

Everyone fucking sucks.

everyyyyyoneeee

Leuven, Bellagium

He's already mentioned here but IAYD is f¨¨king amazing! Especially the 8BP release!

Godzilladelph
PlainFlavored wrote:

Perhaps I just bristle at the term after hearing guys like Burial/Deadmau5/Justice/Daft Punk/SebastiAn be referred to as geniuses by stoned/otherwise impressionable teenagers, when they simply make feelgood music.

wow, i feel trolled. how the fuck did u put burial in the same category as those guys? he definitely does not just make 'feelgood' music.
but whatever, maybe i just put him on too high a pedestal.
also, in a lot of cases, i find myself liking an 8bit artist not because of the style or genre but more because of some of unique sounds they can get out of the gameboy.. zanzan, what u mean about their songwriting capability? do u mean their attention to the verse chorus pop formula, or do u mean more like their knowledge of music theory or wha?