Minneapolis
Flopps wrote:

I see my label ;D

Well, though the numbers on them are not all visible, all 10 are there in the pic, so no matter what number you picked out you'll be lookin' at it.

birmingham

Awesome to the max!

USA

Amazing!
heart heart heart
Pixls - Great job on the labels. They look very cool.

Philly, PA, USA

smile thanks, can't wait to see em in person.

Last edited by Apeshit (Jul 16, 2019 6:32 pm)

Philly, PA, USA
Apeshit wrote:

Are the painted cartridges going to be exclusive to the beta versions? Or are they all going to be painted?

Only the beta cartridges are going to be painted, unless arfink decides otherwise, but the greys will look plenty nice

Last edited by Apeshit (Jul 16, 2019 6:32 pm)

Minneapolis
pixls wrote:
Apeshit wrote:

Are the painted cartridges going to be exclusive to the beta versions? Or are they all going to be painted?

Only the beta cartridges are going to be painted, unless arfink decides otherwise, but the greys will look plenty nice

Yes, the betas will be the only ones painted.

Minneapolis

Well, some good news and some bad news. The good news is, the software side of the project is finally coming together very nicely. The bad news is, I think one of the prototype cartridges has finally bit the dust. Seems all the hacking, modding, soldering, desoldering, and general abuse has finally taken its toll, and to continue the last leg of the journey to beta I'll have to make a new one. I should have that done by the end of today, with any luck. Thank you all for being so patient!

Minneapolis

Alright, just a few updates for now, with pictures coming along a bit later:

First of all, the hardware is working much better now. Both Sharp and NEC variants seem to be working, and the code just needs some quick cleanup and the beta will be out the door! By removing the MMC1 disable it was possible to remove the primary failure point and simultaneously make the hardware simpler to build. As soon as I have some beta carts put together I can show you all what those look like.

Secondly, I have begun work today on the Famicom version, right now I am tracing out the PCB so I can then make the necessary alterations. I'll have pictures of that hopefully soon as well.

Last of all, the Munchausen project has made it's way to Hackaday!
http://hackaday.com/2010/10/05/munchaus … rogrammer/

I frequent hackaday- was very cool to see this.

I noticed you mentioned DIY kits for us lazy folk. I would generally just do it from scratch, but if I have to buy a programmer or anything, it'd probably be cheaper to get the kit.

Any idea what the kits will run for? Or is it too soon to say?

Minneapolis

Well, I did mention "pre-made units" not kits. However, I'm happy to sell pre-programmed Flash chips for people without programmers, since the rest of the parts are fairly easy to get. And yeah, you'd need a programmer to take this from start to finish all by yourself, but with a pre-programmed chip it would be quite simple.

Sorry about that. I read what I wanted to hear and not what you had actually wrote.

I probably have most of the stuff to make one around. I'd love to pick up a pre-programmed chip.

Minneapolis

Another update, this time with pictures:

First, a picture of the first fully completed Munchausen beta cartridge. This is cart #1, and it's fully functional. You may also notice that the label is a little off. This was unavoidable, as the labels were accidentally printed wrong. So it makes it more "unique" I guess.

This is what the beta cartridges (or rather, beta #1) look like on the inside.

The next two are pictures of the newly completed (and fully functional) Famicom prototype version of the Munchausen cartridge. It's pictured with one of the Famicom to NES adapters found inside of some Gyromite games. Many thanks to Analog for donating the adapter for testing.

Minneapolis
Apeshit wrote:

Sorry about that. I read what I wanted to hear and not what you had actually wrote.

I probably have most of the stuff to make one around. I'd love to pick up a pre-programmed chip.

Most people with a NES and a PC should have most things, and the rest is easy to get. You'll need a proper donor cart, a spare controller cable or extension cable, a USB to serial cable, and some basic electronics components including resistors, a diode, a PNP transistor, some thin wire for making jumpers, and on some donors, a capacitor. And of course, the flash chip. And probably a 32 pin socket if you want to play it safe. But this will all be covered in the tutorial.

I happen to have a spare NES cable with no controller, a 32 pin socket, diodes, transitors, wires, a gyromite donor, which seems to be what you're using, and tons of caps. Being a scavenger pays off sometimes.

I saw one of those usb-serial cables at a thrift store. It may still be there, I'll grab it and I think I'll be all set.

Thanks for investing your time into this project. It's great to have people willing to supply tutorials and DIY instructions for things like this. If you need any donations of parts for further testing, I may be able to help out.