"Hey Adam, are you still making that 8-bit shit, man?"
"Kind of, although I've been creatively stagnant and the scene-"
"Oh cool, you ever heard of Sabrepulse? He writes the craziest 8-bit Nintendo shit."
"Yeah."
"You should write some crazy shit like Sabrepulse."

England

If you can say that you were making CHIPTUNE!!!!!!!!! before you'd even heard of Sabrepulse then you get extra hipster points. YAY!

Washington DC
PlainFlavored wrote:

"Oh cool, you ever heard of Sabrepulse? He writes the craziest 8-bit Nintendo shit."
"Yeah."

I get this a lot too. I think it's kind of great.

Tacoma WA

i can say that it was popular enough to so the at PAX Prime 2010 the chipmusic panel was totally full.  so i guess if you figured out how many people where in the room and divde by number of panelist subtracting everyone in the audience who personally knew someone in anamanaguchi you might have a good idea.  i guess

and while a lot of the folks there did use a gameboy there were also people who knew about the zx spectrum (i got a cheer from someone when i mentioned it)

but what really is the point to this question?

there are always people who like the music who stand on the side just listening.

there is a lot of music i really enjoy listening to, but i don't care enough about searching out the communities that are all about that music.

california
PlainFlavored wrote:

"Yeah."

Lol. I've had that conversation. It's sad when you realize that most people really don't give a shit about your nuanced sensibilities. It's kind of confusing.

Florida

Most people in their 20s and 30s like the chiptune aesthetic to begin with, primarily because of nostalgia. I'm willing to bet that those who listen to the 'well known' artists born out of the community don't really delve into it, or have much of a desire to. They stumble upon their one "awesome guy who does nintendo music!!!" and that's that. We're all music people here... but most of my friends who are casual music fans will have like one or two primary artists to represent an entire genre (ie... Bob Marley for Reggae) and that's the whole thing for them. Those who actually care about reggae will have roots, dub, dancehall, etc etc... but it seems like the only ones doing that with Chiptune are the musicians themselves. Those of us who haven't 'made it' to that higher level of popularity kind of feed off of each other or little niche communities (indie games, demoscene, etc). I'm sure there's a middle ground somewhere... but I've not heard much conversation involving chip artists unless it's with people already heavily associated.

A gray world of dread

Three years or so ago I got a new co-worker, with whom I share a room at work. He was (and is) a casual listener, pretty much playing anything from charts to house. The first few chipmusic tracks I played got a lol from him, but  after a time he started to play/google it himself- he seems to enjoy covers and originals that found their way into pop (the classics: Do It!, Silver Surfer, Kernkraft 400) the most, but sometimes surprises me by putting on something like a russian ZX mix.

Music genres are just big blobs for him, he doesn't seem to care about differentiating by artists- he wants house, he plays a house stream, and either the mix is cool or it isn't. Chipmusic is no exception there. I guess he sees no point in bothering with seeking out particular artists when he can just grab a mix mp3 he enjoys, which is fair enough imo.

I sometimes use that sentiment as a litmus test for my music, I'll play a track and glance over to measure headbobs/kneebobs per second. big_smile

Philly/NY
ne7 wrote:

ice cream truck music would be awesome m8 smile

http://icecream.8bitpeoples.com/

San Luis Obispo, CA
enso wrote:
ne7 wrote:

What the...

...this is amazing.

california
enso wrote:
ne7 wrote:

This is one of the best ideas I've heard in a while. We need to strike up a deal with the muzak companies.

Hoxton, London UK
infradead wrote:

i can say that it was popular enough to so the at PAX Prime 2010 the chipmusic panel was totally full.  so i guess if you figured out how many people where in the room and divde by number of panelist subtracting everyone in the audience who personally knew someone in anamanaguchi you might have a good idea.  i guess

and while a lot of the folks there did use a gameboy there were also people who knew about the zx spectrum (i got a cheer from someone when i mentioned it)

but what really is the point to this question?

there are always people who like the music who stand on the side just listening.

there is a lot of music i really enjoy listening to, but i don't care enough about searching out the communities that are all about that music.

that's a good point. I don't frequent drum and bass forums or pop punk forums but i like the genres. I guess concert attendance is a better representation?

Philly, PA, USA
enso wrote:
ne7 wrote:

holy shit, secret 8bp sections

also: now to start punching in random ______.8bitpeoples.com's to see if they work

Last edited by pixls (Nov 6, 2010 4:51 am)

nɐ˙ɯoɔ˙ʎǝupʎs

I post frequently on chipmusic forums, but don't post on vinyl toy forums, even though I frequent them a lot to follow what is going on.

The toy forums I read are often used by prominent designers. The people here are often prominent chip-crew.

Now I am trying to work out why I don't post on toy forums... What keeps me silent?

probably because you don't make vinyl toys?  Maybe you're silent because you're not actively participating?

BK
pixls wrote:

also: now to start punching in random ______.8bitpeoples.com's to see if they work

actually it's not a secret section, it was an 8bp project from the summer of 2007.  I guess they just don't promote it anymore since it's come and gone.  It is pretty awesome though.

Philly, PA, USA
Kris k wrote:
pixls wrote:

actually it's not a secret section, it was an 8bp project from the summer of 2007.  I guess they just don't promote it anymore since it's come and gone.  It is pretty awesome though.

fine then, not secret, but long lost