São Paulo, Brazil

Going to my parents home for the holidays and taking my macbook with me. Want to finish some .mod tunes started on Protracker, but something weird is going on. When I open the .mod files on Milkytracker and tweak with it, put some samples, new notes, patterns, etc. and then put the .mod back to Amiga/Protracker, it's all a mess. Every new pattern I did on Milky gets messed up. Samples get some weird noises, notes disappear from the editor lines, etc.

I made some tests, like saving the file inside milkytracker with the config options to Linear/Amiga frequencies (at Frequency Table), and Linear Interpolation/Amiga 500/1200 resampling. Everything is just the same.

I'm using raw samples for it.

Anybody can give me some light on this?

Last edited by PULSELOOPER (Dec 11, 2010 5:34 pm)

Psydney, Australia

Does Milkytracker report any compatibility issues when you are saving your file (using notes outside of amiga range, for example)?
Also, which versions of Milky and protracker are you using?

São Paulo, Brazil
iLKke wrote:

Does Milkytracker report any compatibility issues when you are saving your file (using notes outside of amiga range, for example)?
Also, which versions of Milky and protracker are you using?

Nope. Saves the file just fine. I'm using Milkytracker v. 0.90.85 and Protracker 2.3d.

brighton, uk

booga boo

Last edited by CMDR (Dec 13, 2010 3:00 am)

Milwaukee, WI

I think I remember there being two different (or more?) .mod standards. Perhaps someone else can shed a little more light on this. Is there any way for you to test the .mods on Octamed or in something like audio overload for the mac?

I remember having issues because we had too many instruments/lines per block/etc. Worked great in Octamed but ran like total balls in Protracker, due to not following the strict standard I assume.

@CMDR: How did you get cha_filter to work in OSS? Only one I got working was stanley. Gah!

Yes which octaves are you using in Milkytracker?  Only C-3 to C-5 map directly to Protracker's C-1 to C-3.

I thought the sample problem could be the same as in FastTracker2 (as it saves the sample loops wrong) but trying it out that seems ok.  The only way I get something similar to your problems was saving as a MOD > 4 channels when switching between XM and MOD.  I guess you've got the other standard stuff covered (no 16-bit samples/root note changes etc)

Trying a few save/loads between Protracker and Milkytracker it seems to be working for me.  If you're still having problems FastTracker 2 under Dosbox works almost perfect with writing MOD files.  (though it doesn't support the "instrument without note" thing PT can do)   The only bug it's got is when you load the MOD into PT the Replen values on non-looping samples are set to zero.  You have to go through and change them back to 2 otherwise your samples will all be broken and crash out PT. tongue

New York City
PULSELOOPER wrote:

Samples get some weird noises

Sample loop or end points are being ignored. RAW files do not store this info neither does the MOD.

, notes disappear from the editor lines, etc.

You use illegal notes on your composition. As 4mat said, you have to limit yourself to the Amiga standards.

If you have a Macbook, install windows or run Parallels and use WinUAE  in it, to run Protracker. It's the best solution in my opinion.

São Paulo, Brazil

I followed RG's tip and opened the files on OctaMED v5.04. Strangely (but fortunately) they opened fine! I thought I was opening the wrong .mod file on PT2.3, went to it again and it continues opening the file badly. 4mat, I was aware of the C-3/C-5 ranging and was already using it for these test files. Also, I didn't do any sample looping. I open Milkytracker, already subtract some channels so it's only 4-channel, use raw samples, put the config on Amiga linear and resampling, and save it as .mod. But I really have no clue why OctaMED opened it and PT2.3 didn't.

Anyway, it really should be good to know more about this "mod standards" RG put in question.

Milwaukee, WI

We spent about 3 weeks trying to figure out why dispyz's datarunner .mod wasn't working for use in the tracker hero game. I remember him writing it on octamed soundstudio and throwing a rage when neither winamp or renoise would play the sound file. I asked if it worked in protracker, and when it didn't we knew something was up. I'm sure there's an easy answer but Amiga tracking and beer usually go hand-in-hand.

Anyway, I wish I had documented some of the process, but I do remember having to go into protracker and adjusting various settings which seemed to adhere to the incredibly strict rules of the .mod format. Octamed was certainly a little more lenient and opened files as .mod when others wouldn't.

Whatever it is, I'm personally convinced of there being a difference in how octamed/protracker handle .mods. Correct me if I'm wrong please!

São Paulo, Brazil
RG wrote:

We spent about 3 weeks trying to figure out why dispyz's datarunner .mod wasn't working for use in the tracker hero game. I remember him writing it on octamed soundstudio and throwing a rage when neither winamp or renoise would play the sound file. I asked if it worked in protracker, and when it didn't we knew something was up. I'm sure there's an easy answer but Amiga tracking and beer usually go hand-in-hand.

Anyway, I wish I had documented some of the process, but I do remember having to go into protracker and adjusting various settings which seemed to adhere to the incredibly strict rules of the .mod format. Octamed was certainly a little more lenient and opened files as .mod when others wouldn't.

Whatever it is, I'm personally convinced of there being a difference in how octamed/protracker handle .mods. Correct me if I'm wrong please!

I have a couple of .mod tunes I made last year on OctaMED 5.04 -- nothing fancy, no sample loops and only simple commands (I was beginning to learn Amiga trackers). And they work fine on PT2.3 (just tested them). 

What I roughly know about MED's commands is that most of them are pretty much the same as Protrackers commands.

Milwaukee, WI

Maybe the number of instruments has something to do with it? I don't know and wish I could be of some assistance.

We need a .mod guru in here!

São Paulo, Brazil
RG wrote:

Maybe the number of instruments has something to do with it? I don't know and wish I could be of some assistance.

We need a .mod guru in here!

I guess you're probably right. I only used few instruments on those tracks.

Anyway, let's hope cTrix or someone else reads this thread xD

New York City

If you would post the MOD file it would help a damn lot to know what's up.

Psydney, Australia

It's a very loooong shot, but did you check the mod replay routine in milky config? It can be set to either PT2.x or PT3.x.
Not that it should have anything to do with the saved file.

About the sample noises, do they appear at the beginning of samples? If so, perhaps they are some sort of header (non-raw sample format) or other meta-data, so you should double-check anything you did with the instruments. Smartest thing would be to start a new module in milky form scratch and keep fiddling with it until you manage to make it not load in protracker. Using an emu would be simplest for this.

Frankly, whatever this is, it should be treated as a bug and reported. Milky is supposed to let you know if you did anything to break the mod compatibility.
I'll try to load all my milky-modules into protracker, see if it's a common problem.

São Paulo, Brazil
iLKke wrote:

Smartest thing would be to start a new module in milky form scratch and keep fiddling with it until you manage to make it not load in protracker. .

Yep, I´m already doing that. I´m making some modules saving with different config settings on Milky untill I find one that can be opened with no problems on PT. Thanks a lot for your help!

Milwaukee, WI

I hope you don't mind me asking, but why open them in protracker if they open fine in octamed anyway?