wow, you are totally right! I looked at my DMG motherboard last night and it was a CPU-01 chipset. really disappointed, but I guess there's nothing I can do.

got my second DMG in the mail, it's CPU-02. I am fucking raging right now. GAARRRR

Last edited by concealed (Dec 16, 2010 11:32 am)

San Francisco

its a pretty uncommon thing so you shouldnt worry. the next one is likely to be all gravy.

Well the 3rd one I ordered was a skeleton (clear) model, so I made sure it wouldn't have an earlier motherboard.

I think that actually CPU-01 and 02 might actually not be that rare, but I think they might just be Japanese models. This is just a guess, but I live in Japan, and I ordered two DMGs, both of which were one of these two chipsets, and I tested it out on two models in shops before I knew what the problem was, and both of those had the same problem (so I'm guessing they were also one of those two chipsets).

Just looked at the two Play it Loud DMGs I have with me and they are both DMG-PCU-08
Maybe the Grey boys with 01-02 are the first years of production models?

Los Angeles
L-tron wrote:

Just looked at the two Play it Loud DMGs I have with me and they are both DMG-PCU-08
Maybe the Grey boys with 01-02 are the first years of production models?

The play it loud gameboys came along quite a bit later. Also they have those cheapo blob chips- though I am pretty sure there is absolutely no audible difference because of that, its just cheaper to manufacture.

About Japan DMGs, I have 2 of the "rare" white ones, and both have later reversions. Just FYI

yeah my guess is that the CPU-01 and 02 models are the first ones that were released, so they're Japan only. That's just a guess based on nothing more than intuition though (and the fact that it's apparently so rare but I've run into four of these models so far), so I could very well be wrong

San Francisco

maybe its just rare outside of Japan then.

Matthew Joseph Payne

I've got a bunch of 02s here that have come from the US, but I would believe that 01s are mostly or entirely in Japan.

Matthew Joseph Payne

This just happened to me with an 06. I'm going to investigate further later, but were moving so my workbench is all packed up...

killadelphia

board 06?

Chicago IL
InactiveX wrote:
wedanced wrote:

my particular gameboy had a sticker that a little kid put on it with his name. i have dubbed it the carter gameboy and have always referred to it as the carter phenomenon.

Does it have a funny haircut and speak in a Laaaahndahn accent?

(Sorry, couldn't help it. Love that band! smile )

hahaha ive got that exact drum machine sitting next to me right now