Tucson, AZ

Chepachet, Rhode Island

I feel like I just got brainwashed Clockwork Orange style...

California

Nullsleep. He has good taste.

For me I suppose it is hard to pinpoint. At any point in time I might be influenced by a whole different set of ideas. Sometimes I like things that are fast and to the point so punk and particularly post punk has had a big influence on me (Wire, early Devo, Crass, Gang of Four, Mission of Burma.... I could go on for a while).

Other times I find myself influenced by more noisey kinds of music (Sonic Youth, Dan Deacon, early Animal Collective, Health, NY no wave bands, Wolf Eyes, Lightning Bolt... again I could go on).

And other times I am influenced by things that are more peaceful sounding (Enigma, Enya, Underworld, Beach House, A Silver Mt Zion or any Constellation records band like Godspeed, etc etc).

I could list tons more and I would say they all influence me at different moments in time depending on my mood. Ultimately it does not show that much in my music (yet) because I am still just a noob but I am getting there. The sound in my head is pretty awesome though haha

Last edited by Rei Yano (Feb 19, 2011 7:00 pm)

))<>((

My current style is heavily influenced by shoegaze, post-rock and ambinet sort of stuff, like Faunts, The American Dollar, some NIN stuff (Ghosts I-VI). I also get some not really stylistic influences from other bands such as Silversun Pickups, Washed Out, New Order, etc.

Canada

I find Nullsleep's visual approach very appeasing:

Megadeth

Tears for Fears

Al Di Meola

AnerManerGuchists

Andres Segovia

Average White Band

J.S. Bach

Bayside Acoustic

Sabbath

Zimmerman

The Pink Floyd Sound (minus Barrett)

Cat Stevens (Cat Stevens)

Dallas Green

Lamb of God

Heidevolk

Falkenbach

Sigur Ros (Jonsi)

Steve Jablonsky

Howard Shore

Dragonforce (yes, Dragonforce…wanna fight about it? in b4 quote)

Dogs

Whitley Bay, England

Indie or punky stuff.
The Undertones, The Clash, Johnny Foreigner, Billy Bragg.
Huge influences from reggae and ska too - bands like The Specials, Toots and the Maytals, Augustus Pablo.

Pretty much nothing electronic. I adore Hot Chip and LCD Soundsystem, but I dont think there's anything in my music inspired by them.

I also missed out Pulp, Jamie T, and The Smiths. Oops!

Last edited by TraceKaiser (Feb 19, 2011 10:43 am)

Godzilladelph
Reteris wrote:

Indie electronica like flying lotus and lady gaga and the beatles

wow man. can't believe you forgot Owl City.
but yeah... my influences change day to day based on what i'm listening to atm, which recently has been a split of Merzbow, Eluvium, Toro Y Moi, and shit like Salem, White Ring and Pictureplane. some sounds will always stick with me though... like old bebop, free jazz, first/second wave ska and dub.

Joy Division
Debussy
Bill Evans
Serge Gainsbourg
J Dilla
Scott Walker
Karen Carpenter
Bill Williams

Huddersfield, UK

Boards of Canada, Baths, little-scale and Oneohtrix Point Never. Mainly for their incredible ability to create soundscapes.

Unsubscribe

Devo, ministry, melvins, man .. or astroman?

IL, US

guess ill post mine, sine i share 3 of peter's 4 (i like devo, but cant fairly call them an influence)

ministry
the melvins
man or astro-man
the paper chase
end
public enemy
lesser
kid606
disc
matmos
kool keith
cex
arab on radar
wolf eyes
mindflayer
merzbow
the misfits
the blue meanies
milemarker
girls against boys
fugazi
el-p
dalek
fantomas

Tokyo, Japan

Where to start?

James Brown, Dr John, BB King, James Booker, Phil Spector, Luke Chaos, Roger Troutmann, Quincy Jones, Bettie Davis (wife of Miles), Robert Johnson, Bernard Edwards, Aretha Franklin, The Blues Brothers (yeah, seriously), Shirley and Company, Maurice Williams and the Zodiacs, Badass Stevie wonder, Shirley and Lee, Cher and Tina Turner, Trash 80, JddJ3J,

Actually a brief interlude for "Motown"

Cheapshot, Lalo Shiffrin, David Shef (if you don't know the last two shame on you.), Tom Waits, Loads of Broadway shows especially little shop, wicked, hairspray, the producers, grease and Chicago, the zombies, T Rex., S'Xpress, Si'Randire, Portishead

All sorts!

philly

bands:
Depeche Mode, Circa Survive, YMO

chiptune artists:
4mat, DRAX, h0llyw00d

vgm composers:
Soyo Oka, Mari Yamaguchi, David Wise

Brazil

LOL

Megadeth and Tears for fears, nice!

Last edited by Subway Sonicbeat (Feb 19, 2011 3:50 pm)

Chepachet, Rhode Island

Really nice stuff, guys.  Since I'm fairly new to electronic (metalhead all my life tongue) there's tons of stuff I'm going to check into. 

I'll also Add Megadeth, Rush, Nevermore, King Crimson and Dinosaur Jr.  to my two I posted above (didn't realize the thread would take off like this!)

My father was actually pretty good friends with Marty Friedman (guitarist in easily my favorite time period of Megadeth's career) and even though my dad at the time really wasn't that good of a guitarist at all, they'd still jam around.  I always thought that was really neat.  His guitar work is very different than many other metal/rock guitarist in that he made his melodies in a string of 5 or 7 notes rather than the traditional 3 or 4. 

Rush's song structures are just so tits and I think a lot can be said about them considering many of their older songs sound very similar to other progressive and hair metal bands even at the time, but with a lot more variation, skill and musicianship which makes them sound almost completely different.  I know that's an oxymoron but I hope others pick up what I'm putting down.

Jeff Loomis from Nevermore Is one of the best guitarist to ever live...In any genre (note I said "one of") and his technical style is fucking ridiculous.  A lot of metal musicians use the harmonic minor like they're stocking up potatoes during the Irish Potato Famine, but his stuff sounds unique in comparison and that's really refreshing.

King Crimson is just great.  Everything is weird and crazy and unique.  I can't even remember how many times I listened to "Three of a Perfect Pair" on a loop when I was a kid.

I love Dinosaur Jr's noise and how it didn't/doesn't sound like a bunch of llamas grazing on the band's equipment while it's at full volume like many of the other bands of their style.  Their stuff is catchy without being the retarded-mindless-uncreative kind of catchy.  Plus J Mascis's voice is interesting and cool.

...You guys got some good shit...I fucking love reading posts like these...write a damn novel in here and I'll be like a kid in a candy store!

Brazil

Remembered a band I love a lot:
Beat Happening.