i hate when people call it techno.

"oh yea, i totally remember something like that from pokemon tower in lavender town from red and blue....but it was slower and with a different melody and different bass.... love that shit man!!"

....so what he said was he rememebrs it, but he knows my song is different?
haha

Worst comment? "This game boy music makes my ears bleed, I am close to hitting the mute button." But on the positive side he ended it by saying, "But, you make it almost tolerable" And to be fair I was showing him a 1 bit tune and that isn't for everyone tongue. Basically, most people that have said something less than great about my chip music is because they can't stand the high frequencies of the tones rather than disliking the composition itself which I can understand.

Most hilarious comment? "This sounds like Sonic music farted into a trumpet and then ran through a magical fan...I love it!" To be fair, it was on a sonic mix I did when I was first getting into making electronic music with my new computer in 2004. tongue!

Best comment? My brother told me he showed it my stuff a group of friends who came over for a party and they said "Your little brother "made" this? That's awesome, play it again!"

Actually my good comments far out weigh the bad, and people generally like my music whatever it happens to be made with and my family is  mostly musically inclined and very supportive...so I am lucky big_smile!

Ciudad de méxico, MX

WORST:

Venue owner: "a girl from table 2 are keep saying me that your music hurts her hears. I'm going to ask you to stop the show." the truth is that i've blowed out the sound system. not everyone is in to harsh noise, now i know.

BEST:

"You cheater, you're doing that with the mac in front of you",... and i answered " no, girl i was using the computer light to see my gameboy screen".

EDIT: BONUS

Some random woman "Wow, your music sounds like you do it from your heart, with the reapropiated sounds of your childhood." Later i've found out that she was a dance performer which trhow pee to the audience while some sick fuck (lucky?) artist was performing.

Last edited by Analog (Mar 8, 2011 6:03 am)

my sister said: "such music makes me get a headache!!"

grrrrr.........

バード大学

"Are you like Crystal Castles? Crystal Castles does that!"

'This makes me want to have a go!'

I've had friends buy Nanoloop, LSDJ, and chipmusic CDs after showing them stuff. That always feels really cool.

To be fair, I don't think all chipmusic artists get the 'Mario at a rave' shit; from my experience stuff like Anamanaguchi, Depreciation Guild, and Balun doesn't and instrumental, dance-oriented stuff does (for discernible reasons). I observed quite a different reaction in Japan too - I mean, I can't possibly imagine hearing YMCK and Sexy Synthesizer (who are a guilty pleasure of mine, and mine Pac Man dance nostalgia for more than it's worth) in adverts here in the UK!

I did nearly once get stopped playing at a talent show for using my Game Boy. He was a PE teacher though, so it doesn't really count.

Last edited by Stevens (Mar 9, 2011 8:11 pm)

Canada

Yesterday I gave a symposium speech about the art of 8Bit composition and its history/popculture. I was able to play an example for them (some of my newer chipowermetal songs I haven't uploaded). Afterwards I opened up the panel for questions, and there were so many. I was very surprised.
Some asked "What were you doing while the song was playing?" I proceeded to run the emulator on my projected mac and show them live mode to make it seem like I was pressing buttons-_-.
Some asked "How can I do this?" or "Where can I buy an LSDj game."
It was infront of several music students/professors, so I got a lot of questions concerning how I was able to add compound rhythm into my songs, because I had told them that LSDj is structured to work with 4/4 time signatures. I told them about the H command, yadda yadda. All in all, I was very surprised at the interest, though they were musicians.

Utrecht, The Netherlands

"I don't know this song, but the ringtone sounds awesome" - On a reply to DS-10 Dominator when posting George & Jonathan - Out With My Girlfriends. Don't actually know if he was serious...

Last edited by EINDBAAS (Mar 16, 2011 9:44 pm)

Moncton, Canada

"idk I don't really like bleep bloop mario music"

and my favorite one

"whoever thinks chiptune is an actual genre should probably end themselves"

Anahiem, CA

All my friends that are musicians find it quite intriguing.

The people that aren't just think its just noise and disregard it.

NSW, Australia

my dad; "hey, i think your computers making weird noises again"

Norway

"Thats the most stupid thing I've ever seen!", when he realized I was playing the music from my gameboy. It was during a gig in my hometown, I actually felt kinda threatened, fearing they would kick my ass and smash my gear...

I've also heard terms like "Circus-music" and "Clown-music".

Unsubscribe
starmelt wrote:

"Thats the most stupid thing I've ever seen!"

Man there are infinite comebacks for that!

Norway
herr_prof wrote:
starmelt wrote:

"Thats the most stupid thing I've ever seen!"

I didn't want to risk my health, or my gear, by making a witty remark. His comment already felt hostile.

Last edited by starmelt (Mar 23, 2011 7:36 pm)

sweden
starmelt wrote:
herr_prof wrote:

I didn't want to risk my health, or my gear, by making a witty remark. His comment already felt hostile.

Im guessing he looked something like this?