Tokyo, Japan

I forget exactly how but a while back I stumbled on Switched on Bach by Walter/Wendy Carlos which is an album of Bach music performed on an early moog synth. I also really like Clara Rockmore's The Art of the Theremin. I also keep meaning to pick up the soundtrack to forbidden planet.

I was wondering if anyone else had any other early electronic music albums the were into? Not to detract from it in any way but I am not thinking so much in the Kraftwork/Depeche Mode type vein.

TSSBAY01

Last edited by tempsoundsolutions (Jul 1, 2011 10:22 am)

Melbourne, Australia

oi, please don't post the URLs to ripped vinyl and/or any other copyright protected media. It's all there in the T&C's of the forum.

Thanks.

hardcore, Australia

I have a copy of switched on bach i got for 50 cents.
There is a whole series of "moog plays *blank*"

i wonder if csirac ever put out a record...

Central-ish VA

Back in February at the radio station I work for we had a big fundraiser music marathon that featured a show called "Moog In The Morning" that might be right up your alley here.  I missed the show due to class and other things but I'd imagine it was solid, you may try the following playlist for something you're interested in?

http://wtju.net/playlist/10824/20110217

Last edited by Beverage (Jun 30, 2011 10:57 am)

England

I'm sure the blogs are easy enough to find. I can' t imagine that  these things are still available to purchase!

I have a whole bunch of early synth compilations/mixes that a friend made me for his radio show, I'll try and see if I can get them uploaded somewhere for you at some point.

Ontario, Canada

Maybe this isn't exactly what you're looking for, but I've heard a few relatively early (late 60s) psych/electronic records that have some really interesting electronic experimentation. My favourite is White Noise - An Electric Storm, but The United States of America's self-titled and Silver Apples first record are also quite good and have a very unique sound to them.

Brazil

Karlheinz Stockhausen. Nuff said.

The Hollow Earth

Jean-Michel Jarre's "Oxygene" is a classic, hand's down. Some of the best space music ever and....

....the early '90s follow up is surprisingly good as well. He went back and used the original analog gear he used in the '70s for a pleasing result. And speaking of '70s space ambient....

....let us not forget Klaus Schulze's "Timewind." An unstappoable classic. One of the best examples of long form "berlin school" space ambient of all time.

TSSBAY01

Last edited by tempsoundsolutions (Jul 1, 2011 10:23 am)

Melbourne, Australia

If you're suggesting that people can't use google to find their way to legal or illegal copies of albums then I submit to the peanut gallery that YOU sir are rediculous.

Let's keep the discussion going but leave the direct links to artists work out of this thread.

On topic, three albums that really shaped my view of electronic music were :

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wide_Angle - This was mind blowing for me because it was the first time I'd heard electronic music mixed with organic orchestral sounds. It was quite breakthrough for it's time and I remember thinking to myself "Holy shit, they let bedroom dwelling breakbeat producers compose an album with a fucking symphony?!"

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Movement_In_Still_Life
Just too many classic tunes on this. My favourite being I remember that this album really floored me in terms of production quality. It still sounds like it was made yesterday, even after 11 years.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Decksandrumsandrockandroll
These guys really brought the funk in a big way. I give this a mention too because this is the only album they released by the Propellerheads. They mad the whole thing with their own software that they then went on to sell under a software development house of the same name (Propellerhead).

Delia Derbyshire is pretty cool. http://www.delia-derbyshire.org/
By the, why no Kraftwerk?

Last edited by Octothorpe (Jul 1, 2011 3:44 am)

Milwaukee, WI

Just watched Forbidden Planet again today!  Classic.  The fact that the musicians union forced it to be called electronic tonalities and not a soundtrack is hilarious too  Some of Meco's early galactic funk isn't all electronic but there is still some good bits too.

TSSBAY01
celsius wrote:

If you're suggesting that people can't use google to find their way to legal or illegal copies of albums then I submit to the peanut gallery that YOU sir are rediculous.

you cant even SPELL ridiculous

John Chowning's stuff is pretty old, as far back as 1966, although not much of it is very listenable since it's mostly inharmonic FM synthesis.

Melbourne, Australia
tempsoundsolutions wrote:
celsius wrote:

you cant even SPELL ridiculous

That's your rebuttal? Oh, well played sir. Well played.

*golf clap*