Finland

I work (mainly) as an graphic designer so music kinda growed on me as a hobby when drawing and other visual stuff came more work-like. No rules and no need to satisfy any customer or anything like that. But slowly it became bigger part of my life and now it feels that most of the stuff happening in my life revolves one way or another around music. Not complaining though:)

As for songs & albums, they always are about something. Earlier stuff (solo & Videovalvontaa) are pretty straightforwardly about certain people, places or just some events, real or not. My newer, not yet released songs are little bit harder to explain if somebody would ask. I love to play live shows, they are my favorite thing in making music. Then again I really like the feeling of completely zoning out when writing music headphones on or just hitting a random chords for hours on acoustic guitar.

Massachusetts, USA

I usually start writing on the guitar or ukulele, and then work on my gameboy parts to add some fun sounds and a dope-ass beat to really flesh things out.  Since most of my songs have lyrics, they are usually about something that either I think is funny, important, absurd, or a story.  Sometimes they are not so good, but I like writing and it's really satisfying for me to share something with my friends.  And if I don't make a song in awhile, I smash things.

I write to try and sound like Electric Children.

That was a joke. Really, I write because I want to get the awesome rhythms I think of out of my head and into listenable format. I love the way house and dubstep sound and how rhythmically complex they can be, and it's fun to listen to/see. I really do like the way Electric Children's music sounds/looks, and I do try to emulate that, along with a bunch of other artists styles, and I guess it's more of a personal thing for me. I try to reach their level of composition, and sound like everyone that I like combined, so that I can listen to myself and sound like what I like to hear.

Of course, I'm not trying to say that I write to be someone else. I write in my own distinct style with instruments I make myself. And my music does have my own feel to it. However, I do want to keep my favorite artists' sounds in mind when I write, because ultimately, that's the sound I want.

tl;dr: I like the way it sounds

Brunswick, GA USA
kineticturtle wrote:
PULSELOOPER wrote:

Jesus, you guys are listening to much to prog rock.

...and not making enough!

I make tracker music to pass time and I'm happy pleasantly surprised whenever I can find an audience for it.

The concepts I give some of my releases are usually determined after I programmed the music.  Sometimes, I will rearrange/remix slightly to suit that concept, but in truth, when I start I'm usually just "jamming" in some way or another.

hardcore, Australia

I write music as an excuse to make song titles and cover art.

IL, US

im all about mood/tone/atmosphere, and i clearly have no concern over catchiness/danceablity

vancouver, canada

the vast majority of my tunes are thematic in nature - i try to capture the essence of the subject matter as much as i can.

in other words, if the subject matter described in the title had a short film made about it, the music would most certainly be its musical score.

if my music paints an image in the listener's mind, i have succeeded.

Godzilladelph
godinpants wrote:

I write music as an excuse to make song titles and cover art.

I make music to match my haircut.
Also as an excuse to indulge in obsessive amounts of drugs, riches, bitches, and fame.

2001-2002: filling a need for music in homebrew platformer games and doom total conversions
2002-2009: writing music for the fun of it
2009-2010: girls don't like me
2011-?????: desire to fill an intangible and unreachable artistic vision, and to see how far i can push myself

Brazil

I think the main point is not what your musid is DOING for you, but what YOU are doing for your music.

Wilmington,NC

I just like writing music... but we've gotten to meet some great people and play some fun shows thanks to all this.

California

its magical and fantastical that I am able to make music using the nintendo as my instrument. Its a fun time to be a chiptuner,  there are so many people to respond to. Also that there is no genre definitions to stop you from making it to space.

San Antonio, Texas

Copied from what I posted on Ricardo's facebook.

"Chip, at least for me, was always an experiment. I didn't plan on loving it as much as I do now but that's besides the point. When writing a track I can start with some weird groove or bassline and work from there to make something worthwhile or I can try to evoke a feeling with my music. Most of the time, though, the latter style falls through and ends up deleted. So I guess you could say I write through having fun with sounds"

San Francisco

my music is getting me bitches.... big time. i do it for the bitches. has that been said yet?

Godzilladelph
wedanced wrote:

my music is getting me bitches.... big time. i do it for the bitches. has that been said yet?

yeah brosef

A gray world of dread

I make and listen to music (that is, enjoy art in general) so I don't give in to my misanthropy and run amok