BOSTON

I for one never leave the house without a quill, an ink well, and some high poundage folio manuscript paper

Neo Jersey

yea, well, sheet music, on a napkin, lol. that was before i got the idea to leave myself voicemails humming song ideas. although either method usually results in me going back and looking/listening to it later and being like WTF?

clovis CA

i was on a plane ride to puerto rico a few years back, and i got this sweet idea for a song. i didnt know anything about tracking though, but i did write a ghetto staff, ON a barf bag, and asked the kid next to me for a crayon. pretty sweet stuff =]

Heh, yeah, all the time back in school, specially drum sections.  That is the way music has been wired in my brain.

Melbourne

I've written drum patterns (and melodies to a certain extent) on piano-roll style grids before. Mostly for drums it's when I come up with an amazing polymeter pattern—I find it oddly satisfying to write polymeter drum patterns on a grid.
Ever since getting iMaschine though, I think writing melodic patterns on paper is a bit redundant now. Unless they're in a non-4/4 time signature.

Godzilladelph
likeluke wrote:
an0va wrote:

lol, this is what sheet music was for dawg. that's not a bad idea though!

yeah, but how likely are most people to be carrying staff paper around with them?

I do? then again, music theory class namean.jpg

But seriously fuck that shit, notation has way too many unnecessary rules for it to be ever as cool as tracker writing is

SKGB wrote:
likeluke wrote:

yeah, but how likely are most people to be carrying staff paper around with them?

I do? then again, music theory class namean.jpg

no way, are you shitting me? seriously?

Last edited by an0va (Oct 18, 2011 3:46 am)

Madison, Alabama

I haven't "tracked" on paper, but I've left myself a voicemail with a hummed melody before.

D D D Detroit, not the burbs

well yeah im gonna have to be the broken record and say "thats what staff papers for" and if your asking who carries it around, im going to say me.  Trying to draw out a nanoloop map would be kinda ridiculous.  Also i wouldnt be able to get the pitches on paper down without a keyboard, it would take a long time to get the mental sound image to figure out whether or not i was just wasting my time.

you people carrying staff paper are wacko jackos and i love it

Milan, Italy

I usualy just sing in a portable recorder what comes in my mind.

I think it's really easier then writing notes on a piece of paper. (even because i'm usually out of paper/pens when i'm far from home)

Godzilladelph
an0va wrote:

you people carrying staff paper are wacko jackos and i love it

I NEED IT FOR SCHOOL ASSHOLE.
/me waits for you to say some sarcastic comment about carrying around the DSM IV

DSM IV-TR*** hope this helps

Last edited by an0va (Oct 20, 2011 12:52 am)

Godzilladelph

It doesn't. i guess I'll just go back to being BAT SHIT CRAZY THANKS FOR NOTHING MISTER PSYCHOLOJAWNS
[end of thread hijack]

I'm always writing crap down like this. In fact, I did that on a receipt today in my physics class. Nobody understood what it was.

clovis CA

i carry staff paper, music theory class is pretty sweet and a reason to carry it around =]