Montreal, Canada

Playing song written on famitracker in front of a live audience...what do you want to do besides pressing the play button? I have to say that I understand zan-zan on this point.

AANABAY01

Lazerbeat, you're right... but... I'm massively discouraged by the way that a successful musician also has to be a successful PR agent, constantly expounding and exaggerating their works, projecting a serious and consistent image and performing many other activities essentially irrelevant to the act of making music. I lampoon myself a lot, spread a little silliness and mystery around my own works, since there's no end of trouble wondering how you can have humility and success at the same time - when you see people in interview being incredibly overconfident in a product essentially anyone could have made, surely it makes you wonder if you're also being too brash?

I treasure anonymity, wonder why a review of a thing can't be separated from the review of a person; does it make a review more interesting to say that I live in south yorkshire and have a real name, or does it just make it lengthier? I idolize bands like the Residents, who concealed their identities, and Magma, who created a language and a credo for themselves, refused to really be interviewed about anything other than the art itself - to say that, now Myspace has come and gone, you have to share your life story to be palatable, makes me more skeptical about the goals of everyone involved. You know... I think you successfully dissuaded me from pursuing this, haha.

Everyone made really good posts here though, I still wanna read the discussion of how you make these things work.

Unsubscribe

Yea but if you truly treasured anonymity, why release music in the first place?

The residents and Magma are kinda open secrets, i mean Clem still gives interviews and everyone know he is pretty much that he is resident, but they still release music, have pr, and have people promoting the music. The residents becoming popular is not an organic process by any means.

I think this is really the fault of the curators and the labels. Why do labels stop pushing the artist the minute the EP drops? Bands shouldnt HAVE to pr themselves, but they need good patrons to make that work.

uhajdafdfdfa

i'd like to review music but i am not very literate
i really liked the #8brot for the 2 reviews it produced although hours of idling and nonsense is OK too

Abandoned on Fire
herr_prof wrote:

Why do labels stop pushing the artist the minute the EP drops? Bands shouldnt HAVE to pr themselves, but they need good patrons to make that work.

Excellent observation.  I need to start doing a "track of the week" type thing with blurbs from the artists and stuff.

A gray world of dread

zan-zan, even the anonymity of the bands you mentioned is part of their persona (ie, they too put up a play to make themselves stand out). The internet is a blessing and curse for this, too; while allowing to easily share your music, the competition has gone way up. You'll need some PR if you want any kind of exposure.

Tokyo, Japan
Zan-zan-zawa-butt wrote:

Lazerbeat, you're right... but... I'm massively discouraged by the way that a successful musician also has to be a successful PR agent, constantly expounding and exaggerating their works, projecting a serious and consistent image and performing many other activities essentially irrelevant to the act of making music.

Respectfully, I totally disagree with that. I think successful in our little slice of the music world is a highly relative term and I can't really think of anyone who spends a huge amount of time projecting a serious image and doing PR stuff over writing music. I think there are people in our community who are more well known and could also be seen as, I use the term very very loosely, leaders (bit shifter, herr_prof, Nullsleep, Trash80, Coova, sabrepulse etc) but I wouldn't say any of them are exaggerating their works / overly serious / doing non creative music related stuff. I will confess that they do all gig somewhere between occasionally and a lot though. A bit of luck helps, being in the right place at the right time helps for sure!

Zan-zan-zawa-butt wrote:

when you see people in interview being incredibly overconfident in a product essentially anyone could have made, surely it makes you wonder if you're also being too brash?

I think you might be missing a very important point here, if you see someone being incredibly overconfident in an interview the fact they are either an idiot, an asshole or both trumps the fact that they are a musician.

Zan-zan-zawa-butt wrote:

I treasure anonymity, wonder why a review of a thing can't be separated from the review of a person; does it make a review more interesting to say that I live in south yorkshire and have a real name, or does it just make it lengthier?

You can't really dictate how people consume their media. Details like names and places and dates give reviews personal information for readers to latch on to, while making the reviewers job easier.

Zan-zan-zawa-butt wrote:

I idolize bands like the Residents, who concealed their identities, and Magma, who created a language and a credo for themselves

Unless I am very much mistaken both of these bands played gigs regularly and it is also worth bearing in mind they both came to prominence decades before the internet. Peoples expectations are different now.

I guess you can't really have your cake and eat it to. A lot of people do already, over 7500 on last FM (I am one of them!) which is quite a lot more than many other chip musicians. If you wan't more people to listen/review your stuff I would try and make it easier for them, Bitshifter's page is a great example of a neat concise summary of his work with a couple of self depreciating swipes without being braggy or overly complex.

One final thought, I bet a vanishingly small number of those 7500 last FM listeners like your music because you are mysterious and anonymous, the probably just like it cause it is good. Shape up and play a few shows!

gotta hustle and shamelessly self-promo. There's a fine line between self-marketing and spam, though. ZZZV, in all honestly I think you'd be fine. Like stated before, playing out essentially is one of the better ways of promotion because it basically advertises itself.

i can't tell if that's coherent or not i've been up for 24+ hours by now sry

if you don't want to commit to a whole music video doing a small trailer before the release can work well, or a set of them leading up to the release date.

Actually mystery can work well, for example....

To be honest, exposure is great (artists who have a name are logically more likely to be picked up on), but I don't think the chipmusic artists who have lovely professional profiles necessarily have a significant press/blog response. The most important thing by far is networking. If a critic happens to like your music there's every chance they'll write about it. Send your release to relevant people. There's no real secret to this though - you just have to be good at it!

om wrote:

There a gap here.  I've been looking for weeks, for some hours each day for good blogs reviewing chip music and have found maybe... 2.

Seriously.

Some chip stuff does end up on general music blogs, personally I think that's a far more vital objective than having a chip music review site.  Most likely it'd only be read by other chip musicians.

Unsubscribe

Yea thats another reason why i dont review stuff, If I dont like it, I dont post it. Everything on tctd should be seen as tacit approval. Who cares about what i think about it otherwise?

Good luck with getting a review. My latest album got something like 3 reviews and that's all. The funniest is that every websites and blogs I contacted never reviewed it or even replied to me. The best way is to bribe 4mat so he talks about you during an interview of his.

Some of my friends tried it, emailed a bunch of e-mags they were actually following and they had enough luck to be picked (yes, I believe it's luck, no I don't make crappy music... NO... NO... insertsadface) so just try it but not too much, you don't want your name to be on some kind of worldwide blacklist (and yes, I'm pretty sure there are blacklists! and aliens!)

My advice would be you burn your music on CDR and send with some nice coverarts to some coolkids(tm). It's like a bribe, without being a bribe, but still is a bribe.

San Diego, CA

I think playing shows is kind of huge in terms of getting reviewed, simply because it forces the people there to form an opinion one way or another through sheer volume (of sound). I wouldn't say that I'm well known (at all!) in the chipmusic community, but both Mike Bleeds and I are getting at least modestly well known in our local scene simply because we've been playing a ton of shows lately.

Having someone come up to you after a show to tell you that your stuff was great or that it was shit means so much more to me right now than having someone write about it on a website, simply because there's so much music out there (not that having stuff written about me or Mike isn't cool!). It's actually pretty rare that anyone is impressed with a band enough to go up to them and tell them what they thought, so the fact that it happens at all means that at least the music had some sort of effect on people!

And reviews nowadays are really just reference bombs because it's so hard to get someone's opinion of music without having them reference other bands. That's just how it goes now. It's not that anyone's lazy -- it's just that people have seriously developed a vocabulary of music critique that relies on comparison to other music!

EDIT: It seems that lots of reviews and coverage on the internet is really just right place, right time. As an example -- a local band named TV Girl got coverage on Pitchfork for sampling a song and playing some drums over it and singing. They've played all of 4 shows around here and have like 2 EPS with 4 tracks each, whereas my friend's band Jamuel Saxon has been playing shows in San Diego for 3 years and have only recently won nominations/awards for electronic music locally. The internet is really fickle, and it kind of reinforces my opinion that local pull is a lot more important than internet recognition, especially considering that internet recognition these days is really just getting a link put on a blog.

Last edited by spacetownsavior (Nov 4, 2011 8:40 pm)

Brighton | Portsmouth | UK

if you want an ego boost I don't mind lending a hand thar, hyperbole is one thing I'm good at

Actually, spacetown has a point. It's rare that people come to you and tell you that your music is good.
Still, did it happen after you released your latest release? At least, I've done it, it's great no?