It would be a full time job to keep up with the sheer volume of releases, so personally I would appreciate a regularly updated site which could point me in new and interesting directions. 

And, yeah, it would be great to see more general music sites include chip releases.  Hope I'm not being mean (and I do include my tunes in this bracket) in saying that a lot of chip-music doesn't stand up outside of chip music context, and that's a large part of why it doesn't make it into general music blogs.

Or wait, maybe it does, but then we don't call it chip music (Aphex ?)

kaneel wrote:

Good luck with getting a review. My latest album got something like 3 reviews and that's all. The funniest is that every websites and blogs I contacted never reviewed it or even replied to me.

damn kaneel, we're all doomed then; yours are some of the few tracks which I think stand up when listened to outside of a chip music context.

Hmmm I think it's because 4mat secretly acted on making people believe I make chipmusic but really, I don't smile
More seriously, many of my tracks are made with the same approach than tracking and tracking chiptunes but I don't make them in order to make chiptune. If you listen to, for example, "Regard anodin" ou "RĂªve amer" on Here is a heart so you can remember how much I like long baguettes, you won't guess both are respectively 24kb and 16kb (winterchip compo II..).

But really, I don't make chiptunes. Not the "real and rough way", more like "the french way" (sorry, had to)

i'd be bad at writing reviews so i just recommend zan zan to my friends
actual effort goes into the songs you make. please take all my money,

Melbourne, Australia
Zan-zan-zawa-butt wrote:

I treasure anonymity,

So make that your shtick. There is a band thats ben active here in Australia for 30 years that no one  knows who is in it. Use a pseudonym as your real name, and a mask on stage. No ones stopping you. Hell, one of the most intreguing things about Banksy is that no one who who he is - right?

Also, try sending out press releases to people that you think could potentially be interested in reviewing you. Both online and IRL, chip and not. A well written press release (so many guides online) can make a big difference between getting noticed and being ignored

Puerto Rico

I'd love to do chipmusic reviews, I think I have the writing skills to pull it off. Should I start a blog?

Velathnos wrote:

Playing song written on famitracker in front of a live audience...what do you want to do besides pressing the play button? I have to say that I understand zan-zan on this point.

Unless you actually play it through a synthesizer with MIDI cues about when to switch between samples.

Although I think most of Zan-Zan's songs require more than 1 musician to play them live, due to their complexity.

who care?
Most electronic musician don't play live and just draw DUCKS on paint.exe ... and yes, they are using FAKE MACs

uhajdafdfdfa

i dont think its a lack of PR on zanzans part because even the PR MACHINE chipartists who play ten thousand gigs a month dont seem to get reviews

Tokyo, Japan

Actually, a pertinent question for Zan-zan, why do you want reviews?

Hmm I need to play more non chip shows I think...

Tokyo, Japan

Edit - Quick thought, why not sell your stuff on Itunes / Amazon where the review process is built into the sales outlet?

mk wrote:

Hmm I need to play more non chip shows I think...

You need to play more shows period.

Last edited by Lazerbeat (Nov 5, 2011 3:02 am)

AANABAY01

looks like there's a lot of avenues i wasn't aware of. lazerbeat you told me you thought were being harsh in IRC but you are helping a lot.

kaneel your words meant a lot too smile and ilkae i'd like to hear more about your frustrations with the topic

United Kingdom

Getting reviewed has't been too difficult in my opinion but that's perhaps where I live their is very limited exposure on this type of technique producing music on video-game hardware,  but gigging certainly opened up more opportunities for me.

Album reviews on the other-hand I have no clue about since I haven't officially released one yet. The only places where I have seen chipmusic reviews have been on TCTD or netlabels advertising the album with a short blurb which generally is generic and doesn't truly tell you much about the album.

Perhaps exposing yourself more by emailing/contacting netlabels or students that are into journalism may prove favourable as it adds to their portfolio and gives you exposure to more potential reviews. Sending your tracks to radio channels might release some exposure as well even if it's local radio it's tuning in more potential listeners.

On a side-note your pixels are amazing.

Unsubscribe

I think have a good stream of your record on soundcloud or bandcamp is worth way more listens than a review... Embeddable.. spreadable!

NJ

someone COULD just make a photocopy style zine...maybe have a small intro to what chip music is (for people that are clueless) have a monthly top 10 release section with reviews, show photos, websites to check out to learn more etc etc etc. if this was 2 years ago, i'd probably have done it at work using free paper/ink. now i no longer have the free materials but am a bit busy with other stuff - the idea still sounds good though, and might help expand the music to a broader audience once you leave a small stack of the zine at your local record store.