PRESS START
PRETEND
PROFIT

England

I just play music until everyone leaves.

IL, US
Jellica wrote:

I just play music until everyone leaves.

You also dance all awesome, from what I've seen

Chicago IL

practice

As I've said before, you could mute the melody section of the track, press play, play the melody section on your keyboard connected to your laptop controlling a sampler VST (or something similar).

That way you can feel you're not cheating the audience. Because you wouldn't be cheating your audience.

Or find a bunch of dudes who are willing to play your songs in electronic instruments, form the band, go touring.

Last edited by El Huesudo II (Nov 28, 2011 3:45 pm)

London, Ontario

with lsdj i delete some of the phrase commands, and then put them back in live. im not sure how effectively this can be done in famitracker but its something to consider anyways

Matthew Joseph Payne

If you're playing a show that has no visualist, find one, or make your own visuals.

Seattle, WA

a fine example of effective ways to play live

i like how 10k handles his business

Last edited by yuh (Nov 28, 2011 6:42 pm)

Chicago

press play and dance around with the crowd worked here:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=As585pbK … plpp_video

BK

There's a lot you can do, especially with LSDJ. I like to add intro/outro bits that aren't on the record before the main body of the song, mute/solo stuff for effect, tweak instrument parameters,  and sometimes drop entire new sections into the middle of existing songs. Breaking up song mode tracks into chunks and queueing them up in live mode can also keep you pretty busy on stage. I've also started playing with EQing and filters live. As long as you're doing something to make the performance unique, people tend to respond to that pretty well.  Playing live instruments along with trackers is also a great idea, and it's something I'd like to start doing more of as well.

Of course, being energetic on stage on top of that helps too, but I think when people are familiar with a song and hear it performed differently, even if it's a slight difference, they become more engaged in the performance.

Wilmington,NC

It all comes down to the person really. You can just hit play, dance and such or not. You can mix or play an instrument or sing. We've been at a while in D&D Sluggers and honestly at first we were sort of challenged on what would work. It's an evolving process really. Dustin used to sit at the keys, and I used to play acoustic guitar, but it didn't take long for both of those things to change. I've been playing electric for some time, and Dustin has recently switch to mostly keytar. It comes out of you eventually, what ever you want to do most.
This is us from a few months ago.

Brunswick, GA USA

I've answered this question in the same way a few times too many. Also, maybe I need to play another gig someday wink

You know what your abilities are, so use them to entertain; that's all there is to it.

Westfield, NJ

With the DS10 I can trigger patterns live, and even play solos on the virtual keyboard or kaoss pad.

México, DF.

Connect two gameboys and mix them.
Or make an arduinoboy and mix it with some Ableton stuff.
You know? You don't need to only press play, make it harder in purpose so you can have a little bit of difficulty while performing.

Godzilladelph
ant1 wrote:

do some "peformance art" while your music is playing

eme7h wrote:

Connect two gameboys and mix them.
Or make an arduinoboy and mix it with some Ableton stuff.
You know? You don't need to only press play, make it harder in purpose so you can have a little bit of difficulty while performing.

mixing 2 gameboys ftw. I remember when I used to write 8 channel lsdj stuff, at one point I lost my link cable so I started doing my mixes by hitting start on the beat and keeping things in sync manually. Occasionally the 2 gameboys would start running out of sync, but it forced me to develop my mixing skills to the point where I can fade in and out on the fly and keep it the levels smooth (hopefully haha).

Btw, fuck link cables, I find now it's easier and a lot better if you keep your jawns synced up manually than if you trust a link cable to hopefully not fuck up your connection.

Last edited by SKGB (Nov 29, 2011 8:05 am)

D D D Detroit, not the burbs
Decktonic wrote:

With the DS10 I can trigger patterns live, and even play solos on the virtual keyboard or kaoss pad.

Ive also had no trouble syncing a ds10 and m01 if you can press play at the same time then your music is forever in sync.  Im really looking forward to having recording time after the semester.