Joliette, QC, Canada
Decktonic wrote:
XyNo wrote:

1.Press play
2.???
3.Profit !

http://www.iimusic.net/catalog/2011/02/ … ed-is-love

I can attest to this strategy, after having seen ??? live and thoroughly enjoying it.

hahaha nice one ! tongue
yeah ??? is awesome !!!

Westfield, NJ
XyNo wrote:
Decktonic wrote:

http://www.iimusic.net/catalog/2011/02/ … ed-is-love

I can attest to this strategy, after having seen ??? live and thoroughly enjoying it.

hahaha nice one ! tongue
yeah ??? is awesome !!!

before I confuse anyone, when I saw ??? live he was using a midi turntable with his laptop to play his tunes in a continuous mix, DJ-style.

Joliette, QC, Canada
Decktonic wrote:

before I confuse anyone, when I saw ??? live he was using a midi turntable with his laptop to play his tunes in a continuous mix, DJ-style.

He did the same thing at Toy Company Fest !

rochester, ny
e.s.c. wrote:

^ see animal style live footage?

yeah, his controller was just the buttons of the gameboy though, right? i'm thinking of something more like the lsdj keyboard where there are single buttons for MUTE PULSE CH. 1 and CHANGE INSTRUMENT. not just UP, DOWN, etc.

IL, US

haha, ok, well he used nanoloop with it and has two feet.... so, yeah, worked out nicely..

washington

I think I saw a midi foot controller a while ago on the interwebs, I'll try to find it.

--

Last edited by ioflow (Jan 5, 2017 8:53 pm)

Austin, TX

I think there's a simple way to mod in a foot switch so that it activates the start button.  Doesn't really change anything, just makes it easier to kick in with a backing track while your doing some sort of muddy GB solo or whatever.

South Jersey, USA
Crooked Sidewalks wrote:

when it's all based on PC trackers? Everything I've made so far has either used FamiTracker, SunVox, or  both (plus Hammerhead for drums...)

I feel like standing behind a laptop and hitting play would be a joke... I'm probably going to add some stuff from Trippy-H and some electic bass to my tracks, but I still feel like pressing play on the trackers isn't right... What options do I have?

*I hope this post doesn't make me sound like an idiot.

if your own music makes yu want to dance, just dance. i wondered this myself, i make song in tracker but how do i play it live? do i make changes so i have to manuallly do things to tracks to keep busy? seemed counter-productive for me so i leave it how it is and hit play.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mf7PLIGvvSw

Atlanta

I was thinking about this the other day actually. It seems like the only reasonable thing to do would be to bring another instrument along with you to play while you look at the gameboy every once in a while. Otherwise you're skrillex.

nashville,tn

i use my lil koas buddy to manipulate the bits and nod furiously whilst crooning. the human element is nothing to scoff at in electro gigs...but.....99% of people will have no idea what you're doing regardless and will just say whoa was that a gameboy??? milk it. chip is all about the intellect, once you feel confident in your ideas, who gives a shiz if you stand or dance or shred, its only cheating if you think it is...

I like live instrumentation but if you're confident enough in your product you definitely can rock just LSDJ by itself or laptop + controllers, this may be something I would like to gravitate towards in the future because touring and playing out with a lot of gear can be a huge hassle especially for a solo performer like myself

Atlanta

I have to say personally, unless the tunes are just phenomenal, I'd feel like if the artist is just rocking back and forth that they aren't really "performing" (but who is to say what is performance and what is not right?) If there is a mixer and you can turn some knobs and every once in a while pick up the gameboy to do some stuff then you'll probably look fine

IMO, really the only people that care about this stuff are fellow musicians. But if everyone is having a great time, then the live show is a success regardless of how you did it. You can play an instrument but if you have horrible stage presence/crowd interaction, I think someone with just a laptop could really show you up by amping the crowd. I also think sometimes not having a direct instrument almost forces you to interact with the crowd more because you don't have an instrument to hide behind. What really bothers me though is the direct assumption that some people have (non-electronic musicians are especially bad offenders here) where just because they see someone performing electronic music live with only electronic devices they almost assume that the artist is incapable of playing an instrument and this somehow doesn't give the live music validation. Total BS IMO. Don't cater to musicians. wink

And I mean even if the artist doesn't play any instrument, is that really so bad? Some of the best music out there IMO is composed by people who don't play any instruments not because they can't but because they aren't even interested at the time. I don't think it really makes any difference.

Don't get me wrong, I also think playing an instrument can really help you learn some music basics of chords, melody, rhythm, and phrasing. But I'm never going to look down on a live show just because of how it was put together. My assessment of a live performance is always after the fact: whether or not I enjoyed myself as a whole and more importantly-as an audience member enjoying some live music. My definition of "live" in the live music realm may be more liberal than most in this case, but I'm okay with that. Write music, be confident in your product, enjoy the honor of playing in front of people in the first place and I think your live show will work itself out over time. Experiment with things and use trial and error. I'm still attempting to practice all of these concepts day by day and I must say, it's the most exciting part of all of this. I really hope that my live show will hone itself to extremely solid standards and for me that will only come by experience rather than a preset lineup of gear that I will bring with me onstage. Ya dig?

Last edited by an0va (May 16, 2012 11:47 pm)

i dunno i'm just ranting like a barking dog at this point but i love this kinda stuff

edit: also Girl Posse those posts weren't directed towards you but just an assessment of this thread's topic overall, I think you pretty much nailed the good points with this right here:

Girl Posse wrote:

(but who is to say what is performance and what is not right?)

Last edited by an0va (May 16, 2012 11:48 pm)