Brunswick, GA USA

Somewhat related

http://diymusician.cdbaby.com/2012/05/f … -on-stage/

and

.FILTHadelphia

I press Start on different chains. Sometimes I press Select and Start to stop a chain. I am a musician.

Atlanta

Oh I completely agree with you an0va. "doing stuff" is mostly picked up on by other performers, and stage rpessence is everything when performing pre-tracked electronic music. I totally agree with you but the performer has to be hyped for me to be in to it. I went and saw some trance and this guy was zoned out just turning knobs every once in a while rocking back and forth, and occasionally meekly saying "...are you ready?" like he knew what he was supposed to say but just didn't have his heart in it. So that particular show was VERY boring, good tunes but a party...there was not

Girl Posse wrote:

I went and saw some trance and this guy was zoned out just turning knobs every once in a while rocking back and forth, and occasionally meekly saying "...are you ready?" like he knew what he was supposed to say but just didn't have his heart in it. So that particular show was VERY boring, good tunes but a party...there was not

Damn, sounds ruff

Brunswick, GA USA
Girl Posse wrote:

I went and saw some trance and this guy was zoned out just turning knobs every once in a while rocking back and forth, and occasionally meekly saying "...are you ready?" like he knew what he was supposed to say but just didn't have his heart in it.

That's what samples are for. (At 49 seconds, apologies to countries where it won't play.)

Introverts have a challenge when performing, because they have to be able to show the audience a good time without appearing to be uncomfortable or dishonest. It's not easy.

LOLing at Korn right now

Atlanta

Man CLASSIC clip right there, brings me back to being like...6 years old haha, can you believe they only got worse and worse??? WHO WOULD'VE THOUGHT THAT'D HAPPEN?!

No but seriously, I feel for the introverted. My friend Daniel had a show recently and it was his first live performance and he was very stiff, great tunes but man I would have liked to see him get the crowd going. Guess that's just what I personally like in a show though, high energy and crowd involvement.

Brunswick, GA USA

My appreciation for Korn is summarized in the first minute of that video. It's all about the energy, because the guitars are dissonant and ... I think you all get the picture. The "Lowrider" cover was cute too.

The thing to remember is that the audience are a single entity with which the performer has the more talkative part of a conversation. It is possible to do this without a lot of literal speaking and such, but it takes practice and observation. Consider how much talking there is in a Kraftwerk, Gorillaz, or Daft Punk gig...

Last edited by chunter (May 17, 2012 3:20 am)

Atlanta

I like that analogy a lot chunter, hyping up the crowd can make an entire night. One of my personal favorite clips of Knife City right here, Luke is a MASTER at getting the crowd pumped http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9AsqqGho … re=related

chunter wrote:

My appreciation for Korn is summarized in the first minute of that video. It's all about the energy, because the guitars are dissonant and ... I think you all get the picture. The "Lowrider" cover was cute too.

haha you don't have to justify yourself my man, I'm just laughing because it takes me back to a much younger and angsty time period in my life! smile

Westfield, NJ
an0va wrote:

I like live instrumentation but if you're confident enough in your product you definitely can rock just LSDJ by itself or laptop + controllers

but... looking uncomfortable on stage is MY THING.

England

you should work at making your audience feel awkward

Liverpool, UK

I like making crap jokes on stage

edit - as in jokes that are crap, not jokes centred around the subject of 'crap'

Last edited by calmdownkidder (May 17, 2012 12:23 pm)

Rochester, NY

was expecting everyone to give you flack for comparing using the gameboys to being skrillex

b4kn and knife city killed it when I saw them, and there's nothing wrong with being skrillex

using gameboys only is fine

Last edited by ChipsChallengeBand (May 17, 2012 12:51 pm)

South Jersey, USA
an0va wrote:

i dunno i'm just ranting like a barking dog at this point but i love this kinda stuff

I think that rant is absolutely beautiful, like 'Glory Hallejuah playing in the background as you tell it how it is' beautiful. thank you

Barcelona

If i ever perform live i'll just play my casio vl-01 over my songs, doing random improv melodies. And yeah, punch the crowd and stuff

Last edited by Love Through Cannibalism (May 17, 2012 10:45 pm)