akira^8GB wrote:
DKSTR wrote:

its no use to hide behind gimmick-ery instruments or retro imagenery

I think this is what happens with most of the people who have entered "chipmusic" in recent times (2007 onward?). It's all about this. some times I found acts that detriment their good music by basing their "sales pitch" entirely on this gimmicky bullshit tht has grown old long ago.

And then the forgiveness aforementioned gives them a frame of leniency that is no good in forming as a proper musician who performs live. The only way you can possibly become good at that is by playing the most varied crowds possible, and have as many rough situations as possible too.

PS: DKSTR you were number 1 in Riga last October wink

agreed, the retro thing has got to stop.  and bleating on about the hardware they use, save it for Future Music or something.

Tokyo, Japan

Im a bit split on that, I totally agree with Bright Primate's point about the chip music scene being very tolerant of lack of polish and would very much like a higher quality bar with music and performance.

That being said the "chipness" of the scene does give musicians and artists a very wide range of places to play. I mean most of us know people to contact in numerous countries about shows to watch or play at which is pretty awesome and "chip" is kind of the mortar which holds that together.

However, if your music isn't good enough to play outside that comfy nest, maybe pull your socks up a bit? Also I think musicians should be able to describe their music without bringing their gear collecting hobby into it.

Im feeling all middle aged and centrist here! I wanna be edgy and stuff...

Unsubscribe

I have another suggestion: You cannot play consecutive open mic months.

Finland
herr_prof wrote:

Just out of curiosity, how does open mic events work? Its just plug your instruments, play couple of songs, leave? Or do you get feedback or what? I havent ever witnessed such a thing so I'm curious.

Philly

I play frat parties.

BK
DKSTR wrote:
herr_prof wrote:

Just out of curiosity, how does open mic events work? Its just plug your instruments, play couple of songs, leave? Or do you get feedback or what? I havent ever witnessed such a thing so I'm curious.

The Pulsewave/8static version of open mic is 5 minutes per person, usually one song.
Generally it works if people are plugging in a game boy or something similarly portable, but occasionally it takes longer if people have more to set up.

Westfield, NJ
Kris k wrote:
DKSTR wrote:

The Pulsewave/8static version of open mic is 5 minutes per person, usually one song.
Generally it works if people are plugging in a game boy or something similarly portable, but occasionally it takes longer if people have more to set up.

Yeah you only get to play one song, and there's no feedback, though you can pretty much get enough feedback based on the expression on people's faces as you walk off the stage.

Open mics are awesome and I wish such things existed more in other live music events / venues. Oh well.

Gosford, Australia

I dunno about the gimmicky retro stuff. I mean I got a silly pokemon-reference for a name and avatar and all but I don't pretend that LSDJ is novel when I play live and as far as album/stage art goes I'd like to shy away from big pixels entirely.

Bleh, I really just try to take everything in my stride. Besides, I started making music with LSDJ cause I got bored of DAWs and VSTs and ASIO and multi-sampled whatnot so I guess I uhh... Completely forgot why I started writing this!

Last edited by Victory Road (Dec 13, 2011 5:02 am)

buffalo, NY

You can acknowledge what you're doing without being gimmicky. 

Every time I play a NON-chip show people are very confused, and I make sure I tell them "I make music with a gameboy".  Just remember, what you're doing IS novel to 99% of the population.  Just make sure you acknowledge that you didn't invent it.

Gosford, Australia

Oh yeah I let people know what's going on or they think I'm hiding an ipod somewhere, hah

Brooklyn, NY

Thanks for bringing this up, Peter.

I think this is going to be one of the most important problems that chip music will need to address in 2012 and beyond. I'm definitely all for the "de-ghettoization" of the medium, and have recently been pondering ways to make that work both for myself and fellow artists.

Coming from the New York scene's vibrant but sometimes over-saturated market for chip shows I can't agree more with Peter's point about the dangers of sipping too hard on your own kool-aid. Not to get too academic, but if you've ever read criticism of pretty much any kind of nuanced, digital age collectivism (creative commons, social networking, etc) there are actually a number of very lucid arguments about what happens when content starts being made for the sake of a larger organism, whether that's "chip music" or something else.

The "open mic," mentioned earlier, is one unfortunate example. Not to diss anyone who's an OM regular, but it's here that I think the stagnation is most apparent. If larger things like the end of isolationist China are any indication, the creative bi-product of these events starts to congeal into a kind of closed-door collectivist soup. We all have our own influences outside chip music, yes. But I can also say that, at least from my experience, i find it harder to approach a new project with ideas that seem fresh after repeated exposure to the "hive mind." At some point you need to take a risk outside of your self-appointed culture bubble, and perhaps fail miserably.

Of course (and this goes into matters of personal philosophy) I still don't think someone should be pressured into presenting their art in just any alternative context that becomes available. But that is by no means a choice that is unique to chip music, and ultimately I believe any kind of artist or musician should strive for the most rewarding (in terms of personal enrichment, not money) experiences.

Not to pick favorites, but I think the kind of thing that groups like Rochester Chip are doing gives the best of both worlds. MNT DST, the opening act from the show I played up there with Luke recently, had a really fantastic drone/ambient set that was not "chip" in the slightest but still meshed incredibly well with the rest of the evening.

I'm hoping that in the future we'll see similar infiltrations from both sides of chip threshold because otherwise I fear that any "scene" like this one can turn into one big, featureless culture-goop. The unusual, optimistic side of me would like to think it hasn't already.

Last edited by Zen Albatross (Dec 14, 2011 2:34 am)

rochester, ny
Zen Albatross wrote:

Not to pick favorites, but I think the kind of thing that groups like Rochester Chip are doing gives the best of both worlds. MNT DST, the opening act from the show I played up there with Luke recently, had a really fantastic drone/ambient set that was not "chip" in the slightest but still meshed incredibly well with the rest of the evening.

heart heart heart

England
Decktonic wrote:
Kris k wrote:

Yeah you only get to play one song, and there's no feedback, though you can pretty much get enough feedback based on the expression on people's faces as you walk off the stage.

Open mics are awesome and I wish such things existed more in other live music events / venues. Oh well.

I hate open mics. They tend to go like this in my experience:

Man with acoustic guitar doing a James Blunt cover. Everyone loves him.
Man with long hair playing metal guitars solos over backing tapes. They are covers. Everyone loves him because he can do a nice guitar solo.
Pretty girl with acoustic guitar singing her own songs. Boring but at least she writes her own songs. Everyone loves her because she is pretty.
Me. With a Game Boy. Drunken idiot comes up and starts hasseling me going on about how I'm just playing Tetris. People look on confused in horror. Someone shouts "play Mario" and gets a round of laughs. Afterwards someone tells me that they stole one of Sabrepulse's LSDJ carts at a gig. He is clearly a prick.
A guy reading bad poetry. He is rhyming sky with high.The crowds reaction is more positive than it was for me.
Another man with an acoustic guitar. This one does an Oasis cover. Everyone loves him. Oh for fucks sake.

Doing them was funny for a bit, it felt like trolling IRL. But that got pretty annoying after a while and I can't be arsed anymore.

Last edited by Jellica (Dec 14, 2011 9:41 am)

Philly
Jellica wrote:

Man with long hair playing metal guitars solos over backing tapes. They are covers. Everyone loves him because he can do a nice guitar solo.
Pretty girl with acoustic guitar singing her own songs. Boring but at least she writes her own songs. Everyone loves her because she is pretty.
Me. With a Game Boy. Drunken idiot comes up and starts hasseling me going on about how I'm just playing Tetris. People look on confused in horror. Someone shouts "play Mario" and gets a round of laughs. Afterwards someone tells me that they stole one of Sabrepulse's LSDJ carts at a gig. He is clearly a prick.
A guy reading bad poetry. He is rhyming sky with high.The crowds reaction is more positive than it was for me.
Another man with an acoustic guitar. This one does an Oasis cover. Everyone loves him. Oh for fucks sake.

Doing them was funny for a bit, it felt like trolling IRL. But that got pretty annoying after a while and I can't be arsed anymore.

People are typically talking about chip specific open nights in this thread like the ones before every 8static.  However that's very unfortunate that those are the experiences you've had.  I have not played an open mic in a while but I've always had a great response in people asking me what exactly I was doing afterwards.  Maybe it is because the open mics I have played have primarily been in a college setting, but people tend to love what I'm doing because it is NOT the same old acoustic stuff that they will hear at your standard open mic.

Westfield, NJ
Ro-Bear wrote:
Jellica wrote:

People are typically talking about chip specific open nights in this thread like the ones before every 8static.  However that's very unfortunate that those are the experiences you've had.  I have not played an open mic in a while but I've always had a great response in people asking me what exactly I was doing afterwards.  Maybe it is because the open mics I have played have primarily been in a college setting, but people tend to love what I'm doing because it is NOT the same old acoustic stuff that they will hear at your standard open mic.

What Jellica is talking about is true though. Chip open mics are great. Real open mics suck.

That being said, if chip music is going to break out of the "tiny little scene" mentality, we should do more to work with the electronic scene at large (which is doing pretty well, tbh) and stop this mindset of "electronic music / dance music / DJs / etc all suck". At least, that's been my approach.

It's important to consider that Chipmusic is a whole new medium of sound for 99% of people; hearing a new genre is one thing; but to be introduced to a completely new mindset and headspace of music can be too much for some people. Mainstream music has broken the ground for us by having sharp pulse leads etc. but it's still a farcry from all out chip. Be patient with the public, it's not really their fault; if you're not getting enough interest, then perhaps mix in a little bit of more traditional electronica with your chipmusic. I know I'm going to get fragged for telling people to change their music, but expanding your repertoire is rarely a bad thing.